Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Andre Johnson's AFC South Tour Continues

Quote:How long ago did Art Monk and Andre Reed play?  The league is pass happy now and there are a lot of receivers with inflated numbers.  There are too many "hof" receivers come out year by year.  The bar needs to be set to a new level.  He should not be in the hall.

He's had FIVE (5) seasons of over 100+ receptions, giving him over 1000 receptions for his career.  He's currently 8th all time.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/le...career.htm

Even adjusting for a pass happy league, his numbers warrant serious consideration.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He's had FIVE (5) seasons of over 100+ receptions, giving him over 1000 receptions for his career.  He's currently 8th all time.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm'>http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm</a>

Even adjusting for a pass happy league, his numbers warrant serious consideration.

Not to mention crappy QB play for years. I'm with you Bullseye. This guy was dominant at his position. The only thing lacking is a lot of postseason stats but that's not his fault.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Quote:He's made SEVEN (7) Pro Bowls and was a two time All Pro.

Andre Reed made 7 Pro bowls and is in the Hall of Fame.  James Lofton made 8 and is in Canton.

Art Monk only made 3 Pro Bowls and is in Canton.  Steve Largent made 7 Pro Bowls and is in the Hall of Fame.

I don't see why it is such a no-brainer that Andre Johnson ISN'T a Hall of Famer.

The reason he was so often a pro bowler is because of the market he played in. He was a good WR, but definitely not HoF worthy.

No big postseason performances, never got to double digit TDs in a season, and has a stat line that's eerily similar to Anquan Boldin. I don't see Anquan as a hall of fame player, either.

Quote:Agree on the WRs, but give me a [BAD WORD REMOVED] break on the QB.  He had a solid rookie season and has looked great in camp so far.  

He had a really misleading rookie season is the way I'd put it.

He was really fortunate the way the schedule broke. He was able to play against all of the really bad defenses and was out against the good ones.

When I look at mariota I see a David Garrard or Alex Smith, or probably even worse due to his injury problems.

Quote:The reason he was so often a pro bowler is because of the market he played in. He was a good WR, but definitely not HoF worthy.

No big postseason performances, never got to double digit TDs in a season, and has a stat line that's eerily similar to Anquan Boldin. I don't see Anquan as a hall of fame player, either.
He led the league in receptions twice.  All of those Pro Bowls and All Pros mean something, namely that fans, coaches, players and media types thought he was amongst the very best in the league.

Anquan Boldin is not 8th or higher in receptions.

Quote:He led the league in receptions twice.  All of those Pro Bowls and All Pros mean something, namely that fans, coaches, players and media types thought he was amongst the very best in the league.

Anquan Boldin is not 8th or higher in receptions.

All those pro bowls mean nothing at all they're a popularity contest. He was a good player, just not HoF worthy to me. Anquan Bolden is 12th in receptions, btw, 43 receptions behind Johnson.

There are and have been plenty of great players to put in the HoF, we don't need to rush guys in that never even hit double digit TDs in a season.

On another note. I wouldn't put Reggie Wayne in the HoF, either, and he's the guy just ahead of Johnson on the all time receptions leader list. Receptions just don't mean much in the modern NFL. I'd definitely weight TDs and post season impact higher than sheer amassed meaningless receptions.

Vic used to say that sooner or later there was going to be logjam of WR's trying to get into the hall, and for better or worse, Andre Johnson will be right in the thick of it.

A new standard is going to have to be drawn. I just don't know what it is.

Quote:All those pro bowls mean nothing at all they're a popularity contest. He was a good player, just not HoF worthy to me. Anquan Bolden is 12th in receptions, btw, 43 receptions behind Johnson.

There are and have been plenty of great players to put in the HoF, we don't need to rush guys in that never even hit double digit TDs in a season.

On another note. I wouldn't put Reggie Wayne in the HoF, either, and he's the guy just ahead of Johnson on the all time receptions leader list. Receptions just don't mean much in the modern NFL. I'd definitely weight TDs and post season impact higher than sheer amassed meaningless receptions.
The NFL doesn't think they mean nothing, as those postseason awards have been a basis for contract incentives.  Besides, if it were just fans voting on the Pro Bowl, I would agree completely with you about the lack of relevance of the Pro Bowl.  The actual game itself is a disaster.  But players and coaches actually vote for it too, and that still means something.

Reggie Wayne has been able to hit those numbers with one first ballot HOF QB throwing to him, another Pro Bowl QB throwing to him, with a Hall of Fame WR taking coverage away from him.  Andre Johnson didn't have any of that around him.  That's why he hasn't had much in the way of post season appearances/performances.  Besides, under that rationale, do we ignore the great players stuck on bad teams (Barry Sanders)?  I also have a problem with the over emphasis on TDs.  You dismiss receptions as "meaningless" but seem to ignore TDs late in garbage time as being equally meaningless.  Besides, QBs and offensive philosophy has as much a role in WR TDs as the ability of the WR in question.

Quote:He had a really misleading rookie season is the way I'd put it.

He was really fortunate the way the schedule broke. He was able to play against all of the really bad defenses and was out against the good ones.

When I look at mariota I see a David Garrard or Alex Smith, or probably even worse due to his injury problems.
What injury "problems"?  He had a knee sprain last year after taking a pretty healthy shot to the lower leg.  He doesn't have a history of being injury prone.  You guys are insufferable.  You want so badly for the other teams in the AFCS to whiff on draft picks that you can't be objective.  Give the guy a couple of years before labeling him anything FFS.

We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

Quote:What injury "problems"?  He had a knee sprain last year after taking a pretty healthy shot to the lower leg.  He doesn't have a history of being injury prone.  You guys are insufferable.  You want so badly for the other teams in the AFCS to whiff on draft picks that you can't be objective.  Give the guy a couple of years before labeling him anything FFS.

He had two separate stretches of the season missed due to injury and the knee injury came on the kind of tackle we've seen Bortles take many of (he's had the worst offensive line in the league as far as I'm concerned) and Bortles hasn't had any problems taking them.

As for my objectivity, you're wrong about that. Some people around here might have trouble with it, but if Mariota was doing what Bortles has done, shown through adversity, or what Andrew Luck has done, which is win to his reputation, then I'd give Mariota his due. If he comes out, makes all of the throws (not just the ones from 10 yards in across the middle) and is the guy leading the titans to success then I'll admit I was wrong in my impressions of him, but so far I've been right.

On another note, he might be fortunate enough to never have to actually face the JJ Watt that Bortles has had running free at him for two years now thanks to JJ's back Injury and Mariota's ducking the texans games last year.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2016, 08:21 PM by SeldomRite.)

Quote:Vic used to say that sooner or later there was going to be logjam of WR's trying to get into the hall, and for better or worse, Andre Johnson will be right in the thick of it.

A new standard is going to have to be drawn. I just don't know what it is.

Exactly. Bullseye seems to have a lot of love for Johnson, and he's been a good player.

I think the best way to think about it is try to picture a guy's big game, or fame moment. With Johnson I don't think I can think of one. He got a lot of receptions and yards over his career. Not so many that he totally separated himself from guys like Anquan Bolden, but a lot. Also did nothing of note in big games that mattered. Continually got beat down by the Manning led colts.

Still, when you look at the list of all time receptions leaders and see that 9 out of the top 20 were playing within the last 10 years, and 6 of them are playing right now it should tell you something about the game and what receptions should really mean.

Either we're in a golden age where the players are so much better than those that came before them, or the stat is practically meaningless.

watch him become a great wr with the tittians again,and lead them to a Super Bowl tittle. that would be terrbille. Wouldn't surpise me though with the way my teams have done in sports this year plus teams i don't really like keep winning it all.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Snowwolf,you need a brighter outlook on life.  If the Titans win a Super Bowl, it will not be because of Andre Johnson.

Andre Johnson is most certainly a HOFer. He's been elite, has the stats, pro bowls, etc.

Johnson > Bolden

Quote:Snowwolf,you need a brighter outlook on life.  If the Titans win a Super Bowl, it will not be because of Andre Johnson.

Yeah, it'd be because 30 other teams had to forfeit.  Only the Browns and tacks somehow escaped punishment of Roger Goodell.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Give the guy a couple of years before labeling him anything FFS.
Like Dorial Green Beckham?  Big Grin  Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2016, 04:52 PM by Taylor28.)

I like when former all pros hang around. It's fun to watch them.