Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blaine Gabbert is a good NFL QB

Quote:Just curious. Money being equal, who would you rather have as the backup QB here? Gabbert or Henne?
Gabbert is younger, talent is equal if not better than Henne, if the money is equal, I go with Gabs.

However... I think Allen is our backup next season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He did fine vs a really really lackluster/one sided Rams team. He used his feet which helped him and his team but overall he still isnt very impressive. However he is also on a pretty lackluster team that will struggle all around. I do think his Def might be able to help him this season tho. But wouldnt be surprised to see him benched before the end of the season tho.

Quote:This ^^^

Gabbert struggled to get us past mid-field.

Also, in line with what Jags02 stated above, the only way Gabbert was effective was getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds and throwing a safe timing route of 6 yards or less.  Unfortunately opposing teams catch on to this very quickly.

Precisely. In the Rams game, I noticed Chip added a wrinkle to his gameplan for Gabs. Simply put, if nobody is open immediately, he's to take off and run downfield. Now Gabbert has always had excellent straight-line speed, and that speed showed up against the Rams. It's a great idea so far, but with his overall skill-set being so limited, I have to wonder if defenses will eventually figure out a means shut him, and those like him, down. Mariota, for example, is a very similar qb, only he's more accurate and throws quicker.

'02

Quote:I still think he is a turd, but he was really really young coming into the NFL. If he ended up turning into a great QB I would be shocked. He has arm talent, no one will deny him that.. But that is usually where the pros ended with him. If he has learned to stand in the pocket and make his reads he will be serviceable. That scramble was nice too. 

You still don't see him "standing in the pocket." I don't believe Gabs will ever truly have an accurate feel for pressure.

Now Blake, on the other hand, stands in the pocket as well as Big Ben with a knack for buying extra time.

'02

Quote:He averaged 4.5 yards per pass attempt last night.

That's a typical Blaine Gabbert stat for you. It's one of those stats you'll see matched quite consistently by Chad Henne when he's in the game.

'02

Quote:They say he sees the field well (doesn't surprise me as he's really smart) but his hesitant to throw downfield, if Blaine can muster up the courage to test defenses downfield he'll have a chance to be a top 15 QB imo. He's played well considering the talent (or lack thereof) around him, especially at WR & TE.

Blaine has never been able to see downfield well. Whoever said this is off their rocker. Sure, just like Garrard, he can see if a guy is getting wide open, but that's about it. He's certainly no Blake Bortles, and when Gabbert does throw deep he usually always overthrows the ball. I don't think he even has the ability to control his depth well enough to develop good timing with most WRs on the deeper routes. What Gabs needs from a WR is serious speed to go and get his otherwise overthrown passes. I'm talking someone like Alvis Whitted with good hands.

'02

Quote:I don't see him being a top 15 QB, but with their defense, they can win some games if he plays like he played. 

I never defended Gabbert while he was here and am glad we got rid of him, but I can't remember EVER seeing him play as hard here in ANY game as he played the other night.

It it coaching? Is he a changed man? Who knows, but I'm going with coaching.

Gabs always played hard because he practiced hard. It's never been a question of effort wih him, but rather one of ability. It is coaching, but only so far as his current coach knows how to use him. It's about scheme. It's not like he's any more inspired to do well than he was here. He was simply mis-used here because he was asked to go through his reads, and to try and extend the play in the pocket when things break down or when nobody is open. Simply put, he can't do that. Now, it's simple. He's drops back, turns and throws if it's there. If it's not there he looks for his dump off receiver, and if he's covered than Blake takes off running.

I tell you what. Gabs would be a bust on most teams, but he's a perfect qb for what Chip Kelly needs for his quick play scheme. I knew this the second I realized Chip would be Gabs head coach. The last thing Chip even wants is a guy like Bortles, as an example, who is all about extending plays and looking for the deepest guy getting open. Chip's gameplan has no room for that. His game is all about timing routes and getting the ball out immediately. Blake has always been good at that, but I don't think Chip would even have the patience for a true pocket passer.

'02

Quote:Just curious. Money being equal, who would you rather have as the backup QB here? Gabbert or Henne?

As much as I hate Henne, he'd fair better with Oley than Gabbert.

'02

Quote:I don't see how you can lose this game.

You played last Thursday night giving you 10 days off between games and they played the late game on MNF giving them less then the normal full week of rest, you have the reigning NFL MVP, at QB, and, well, they have Gabbert, plus you are at home and they have the long travel and a different time zone.

I figure the refs will also be watching the hits on Cam even closer this game because of what happened last game.

I mean, how the heck can you lose?

Oh man.....don't throw that ju-ju on me like that. 

Quote:Oh man.....don't throw that ju-ju on me like that. 

Plus you are the only double- digit favorite this week, opened at 13 1/2 and has stayed mostly within a 1/2 point of that.

Really, how can you lose?????

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I just saw this thread.

No he isn't.

That is all.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016, 12:14 AM by Etdavis2006.)

No Blaine is horrible. I commend everyone here trying to dissect his game and point out his strengthens. He just isn't accurate. That was his down fall here and it will be his down fall everywhere. He won a few games here too...

Quote:He can curl up in the fetal position better than anyone!!!

Its like he's burst outta the cocoon. Cringer... OOOOH! "He would CRINGE in the pocket. So that...? Now it makes all the sense in the world. Battle Cat

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

I....just wanted to bump this.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Quote:I....just wanted to bump this.
lol, I think San Fran needs to move on with a new QB.

Pretty sure I read somewhere they are scouting Watson pretty hard.

Quote:lol, I think San Fran needs to move on with a new QB.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

49ers fans are now calling for Gab's head.

I feel like there's a chance Kap has learned what Chip wants from watching Gabs throw to a spot or run, and that he deserves a second chance.

'02

Quote:49ers fans are now calling for Gab's head.

I feel like there's a chance Kap has learned what Chip wants from watching Gabs throw to a spot or run, and that he deserves a second chance.
But can he complete passes while on one knee?

Gabbert spent more time on his back last night than Kim Kardashian.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Quote:49ers fans are now calling for Gab's head.

What took them so long?

Do they expect him to suddenly become a winning QB?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.