Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
To those of you who support drafting Johnathan Allen, where do you play him?

I love the kid, but I think it's reasonable to expect any first round pick to start. I also expect the free agent we broke the bank to sign (Campbell) to start and get significant playing time. So where does that leave Allen?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

At his rheumatologist's office.

Quote:I love the kid, but I think it's reasonable to expect any first round pick to start. I also expect the free agent we broke the bank to sign (Campbell) to start and get significant playing time. So where does that leave Allen?

Calais Campbell will be 31 years old when the season begins and will likely play about 65-80% of the snaps in each game. That percentage will likely decrease as he ages until he's no longer productive. 

It's good to remember that frequent rotation of pass rushers was a big part of Coughlin's success in NY.  There were frequently 6 (or more)  linemen rotating and receiving significant numbers of snaps on the front line of that defense.  It's nearly impossible to have too many quality disruptive pass rushers. 

Allen is versatile enough to play almost anywhere on the line depending on the situation.

It wouldn't be very hard to carve out snaps for Allen as a rookie if he proves worthy of the playing time.   He could play weak-side DE during some base package run defense. He could play in a rotation at strong-side end in the nickel package and he could even rush from either interior spot in the nickel package as well when they just need fresh legs there late in the game. 

On the field, primarily.

Can never have too many good defensive linemen.

The bigger question about him is concerning his shoulder.

He's a strong side end who can play 3 tech at times in certain packages

DLine rotates in more than any other position on the field. He might not start but he would certainly get a good amount of playing time.

As good a player as he is, his shoulders scare me for #4. My gut says he's the pick. Just seems like a Jags pick to me.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Even if his shoulders were 100% healthy, I don't see him as a dynamic pass rusher at all. I think he's going to be a solid player that never sniffs all-pro status his entire career.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

DT rotation with Malik Jackson. He's perfect for this role.

'02

Quote:Even if his shoulders were 100% healthy, I don't see him as a dynamic pass rusher at all. I think he's going to be a solid player that never sniffs all-pro status his entire career.
What are you basing this on? Just a hunch?

Quote:Even if his shoulders were 100% healthy, I don't see him as a dynamic pass rusher at all. I think he's going to be a solid player that never sniffs all-pro status his entire career.

Learning the game from Malik might just earn him an All-Pro one day. I love how he's mastered what to do with his arms to give him an edge. I often see vets on NFL Network talking about their pass rush, coverage or whatever on defense, and they often go straight to talking about how key proper arm movement can be. With Allen, it's not so much his athleticism as much as it is his skill-set that makes him so dominant in the trenches.

'02

Quote:What are you basing this on? Just a hunch?

Just his "tape"... he's not explosive, he's not big or long, so I think he will struggle against better offensive lineman in the nfl. He has very good technique which is very important, but I don't see him as a can't miss prospect. He would be at the top of my "most overrated players" list.

I stand by it.. I see Tyson Alualu type impact from Allen.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

He is nowhere near the prospect Leonard Williams was, for example. Not even close.

Quote: I love how he's mastered what to do with his arms to give him an edge.
This is the double edged sword too though. He won in college because he was very technically advanced for the college level and competition. It's not hard to envision him being pretty maxxed out already as a player considering his lack of size and athleticism. 

Do you really take him at 4 considering he has serious injury concerns and probably not as much growth potential as most of the other candidates in the elite range? I can't make a very good case for it. 

Quote:He's a strong side end who can play 3 tech at times in certain packages
This. If his medicals are good, he'd be a great fit here.

Quote:This is the double edged sword too though. He won in college because he was very technically advanced for the college level and competition. It's not hard to envision him being pretty maxxed out already as a player considering his lack of size and athleticism. 

Do you really take him at 4 considering he has serious injury concerns and probably not as much growth potential as most of the other candidates in the elite range? I can't make a very good case for it. 

Are you suggesting he's already hit his ceiling?

'02

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017, 08:00 PM by SuperJville.)

Quote:Are you suggesting he's already hit his ceiling?

not to speak for KyJaggy,

but I would say that out of all the top prospects, Jonathan Allen is closest to his ceiling.  He doesn't have any athletic upside, he's not going to get faster or more explosive - he is what he is.  He is a high floor low ceiling player IMO.

Quote:Are you suggesting he's already hit his ceiling?
It's impossible to say for sure, but the evidence would suggest he is closer to his ceiling than most elite prospects.

Good athlete + raw technique = lots of room to grow 

Bad athlete + advanced technique = limited growth potential

Quote:not to speak for KyJaggy,

but I would say that out of all the top prospects, Jonathan Allen is closest to his ceiling.  He doesn't have any athletic upside, he's not going to get faster or more explosive - he is what he is.  He is a high floor low ceiling player IMO.
We are copacetic on this one.