Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Calls For College President to Resign Because She Rejects Safe Spaces

Calls For College President to Resign Because She Rejects Safe Spaces

The president of a US university is facing calls to resign because she refuses to endorse safe spaces on her institution’s campus.

<p class="">Rita Cheng, who leads Northern Arizona University, sparked protests and a campus walkout by telling students they had to confront ideas they don’t like rather than hide from them.

<p class=""> 

<p class=""> 

<p class="">https://heatst.com/world/calls-for-colle...fe-spaces/

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

She should be focusing on getting a new hair stylist.

[Image: 73644230_Still.jpg]

My faith in higher education institutions has been restored, even if it was only a little.

Quote:She should be focusing on getting a new hair stylist.

[Image: 73644230_Still.jpg]

Meow
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:My faith in higher education institutions has been restored, even if it was only a little.
My daughter was looking at her college options a couple of years ago.  She was accepted at several schools, and had a pretty difficult decision to make about where she wanted to go.  As she worked through the various pros and cons for each school, two of them were cut from the list specifically because they provided safe spaces for students to go to in order to avoid being offended.  Without any prodding from her parents, my daughter explained that she had cut these schools from her list because she had always thought college was about challenging your belief systems, and not hiding from alternate viewpoints.  That was a proud day.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:My daughter was looking at her college options a couple of years ago. She was accepted at several schools, and had a pretty difficult decision to make about where she wanted to go. As she worked through the various pros and cons for each school, two of them were cut from the list specifically because they provided safe spaces for students to go to in order to avoid being offended. Without any prodding from her parents, my daughter explained that she had cut these schools from her list because she had always thought college was about challenging your belief systems, and not hiding from alternate viewpoints. That was a proud day.

On this we agree.

Nothing says you have a right to NOT be offended.

Quote:On this we agree.

Nothing says you have a right to NOT be offended.

Especially in a place that purports to be a battleground of ideas.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:My daughter was looking at her college options a couple of years ago. She was accepted at several schools, and had a pretty difficult decision to make about where she wanted to go. As she worked through the various pros and cons for each school, two of them were cut from the list specifically because they provided safe spaces for students to go to in order to avoid being offended. Without any prodding from her parents, my daughter explained that she had cut these schools from her list because she had always thought college was about challenging your belief systems, and not hiding from alternate viewpoints. That was a proud day.

Sounds like you raised a good one. It's truly a shame the ungodly amounts of tuition that are being paid only to facilitate a kid being potentially brainwashed by some loon. The sad part is they catch these kids while they are still political putty.

Quote:My daughter was looking at her college options a couple of years ago.  She was accepted at several schools, and had a pretty difficult decision to make about where she wanted to go.  As she worked through the various pros and cons for each school, two of them were cut from the list specifically because they provided safe spaces for students to go to in order to avoid being offended.  Without any prodding from her parents, my daughter explained that she had cut these schools from her list because she had always thought college was about challenging your belief systems, and not hiding from alternate viewpoints.  That was a proud day.

You definitely raised a good one.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:My daughter was looking at her college options a couple of years ago.  She was accepted at several schools, and had a pretty difficult decision to make about where she wanted to go.  As she worked through the various pros and cons for each school, two of them were cut from the list specifically because they provided safe spaces for students to go to in order to avoid being offended.  Without any prodding from her parents, my daughter explained that she had cut these schools from her list because she had always thought college was about challenging your belief systems, and not hiding from alternate viewpoints.  That was a proud day.
You should be proud.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I have a great deal of respect for your daughter and the way you raised her based upon that paragraph alone.

What exactly is a safe space? Is it just a quiet area? What if you accidentally offend someone in this area?

If it is a quiet area to chill out without annoyingly political students around I don't see the issue? Is it a right wing media beat up?

Also surely by rejecting the unis that don't fit her belief system how is she challenging her own beliefs?

Quote:What exactly is a safe space? Is it just a quiet area? What if you accidentally offend someone in this area?

If it is a quiet area to chill out without annoyingly political students around I don't see the issue? Is it a right wing media beat up?

Also surely by rejecting the unis that don't fit her belief system how is she challenging her own beliefs?

Like clockwork.....

Quote:Like clockwork.....

I only asked questions? Didn't actually offer an opinion. As I don't even know what a safe space is.

College is about challenging your beliefs but she knocked 2 schools off the list because they didn't agree with her viewpoints?

Just curious, would you still be a proud dad if she goes to school and has a completely different view of the world than you do?

Quote:What exactly is a safe space? Is it just a quiet area? What if you accidentally offend someone in this area?

A "safe space" is a place where free speech is "neutralized" in that you can't say anything or talk about anything that might "trigger" certain snowflakes.  The problem is, the triggering might be from

someone that has something to say about certain topics that certain snowflakes can't handle.

As an example.  Someone might talk about shooting their guns or support for the current President and his ideals.  Something like that is a "trigger" and not allowed in the so-called "safe spaces".

This whole idea of "safe spaces" or "free speech zones" is just another manufactured failure of the far left.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:A "safe space" is a place where free speech is "neutralized" in that you can't say anything or talk about anything that might "trigger" certain snowflakes. The problem is, the triggering might be from

someone that has something to say about certain topics that certain snowflakes can't handle.

As an example. Someone might talk about shooting their guns or support for the current President and his ideals. Something like that is a "trigger" and not allowed in the so-called "safe spaces".

This whole idea of "safe spaces" or "free speech zones" is just another manufactured failure of the far left.

Is that fox news interpretation? I've never seen one . If its a place where people can go free from fear of bullying I don't see the issue.may save the school getting shot up one day who knows.

Quote:Is that fox news interpretation? I've never seen one . If its a place where people can go free from fear of bullying I don't see the issue.may save the school getting shot up one day who knows.

The problem is always the same: who decides what is unsafe? What's the penalty for using unsafe language? You bully us about your so-called better healthcare system all the time. Clearly this space should be safe from such nonsense.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:College is about challenging your beliefs but she knocked 2 schools off the list because they didn't agree with her viewpoints?

Just curious, would you still be a proud dad if she goes to school and has a completely different view of the world than you do?

College is about having fun and taking a bunch of crap classes that will land you a decent job where you will learn the real skills you need.

Challenging your beliefs....lol

Quote:The problem is always the same: who decides what is unsafe? What's the penalty for using unsafe language? You bully us about your so-called better healthcare system all the time. Clearly this space should be safe from such nonsense.

This is a safe space from mocking religion which is a shame...