Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Calls For College President to Resign Because She Rejects Safe Spaces

Quote:This is a safe space from mocking religion which is a shame...

Oooo, ur totes edgy!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:College is about having fun and taking a bunch of crap classes that will land you a decent job where you will learn the real skills you need.

Challenging your beliefs....lol
Those weren't my words. Those were FBTs.

But I'm not shocked you missed that point.

By nature, the entire world should be a safe space.

Why should anyone be subject to being bullied due to their personal preferences or beliefs.

Quote:College is about having fun and taking a bunch of crap classes that will land you a decent job where you will learn the real skills you need.

I used to think that way too until I stepped onto the campus of Georgia Tech (where my son is currently enrolled).

Quote:College is about challenging your beliefs but she knocked 2 schools off the list because they didn't agree with her viewpoints?

Just curious, would you still be a proud dad if she goes to school and has a completely different view of the world than you do?

She didn't knock them off the list because she doesn't agree with their viewpoints. She knocked them off the list because they won't allow for hers.

Quote:By nature, the entire world should be a safe space.

Why should anyone be subject to being bullied due to their personal preferences or beliefs.

By the nature of reality the entire world is an unsafe space.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:My daughter was looking at her college options a couple of years ago.  She was accepted at several schools, and had a pretty difficult decision to make about where she wanted to go.  As she worked through the various pros and cons for each school, two of them were cut from the list specifically because they provided safe spaces for students to go to in order to avoid being offended.  Without any prodding from her parents, my daughter explained that she had cut these schools from her list because she had always thought college was about challenging your belief systems, and not hiding from alternate viewpoints.  That was a proud day.

With all due respect for your daughter, who appears to be the product of good parenting, but isn't the existence of a safe space not a challenge to her belief system and rejection based on such hiding from that university's viewpoint?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017, 12:09 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:She didn't knock them off the list because she doesn't agree with their viewpoints. She knocked them off the list because they won't allow for hers.

Sure they do. The entire university isn't a safe space, just a designated area. She disagrees with the viewpoint of a necessity for a safe space.

- Bob Marley

I'm a real sensitive guy myself so I have tried to empathize a bit with the snowflakes, but for the life of me, I don't get safe spaces. If I don't want to hear something anymore, I go somewhere else, talk to other people. The idea of using the government or school administration to shut down the speech you don't want to hear is what is offensive. It's not like someone is strapping you to a chair and forcing you to hear their opinions.

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:I'm a real sensitive guy myself so I have tried to empathize a bit with the snowflakes, but for the life of me, I don't get safe spaces. If I don't want to hear something anymore, I go somewhere else, talk to other people. The idea of using the government or school administration to shut down the speech you don't want to hear is what is offensive. It's not like someone is strapping you to a chair and forcing you to hear their opinions.

Nor is it like anyone is forcing anyone to go to the safe spaces.

- Bob Marley

Quote:She didn't knock them off the list because she doesn't agree with their viewpoints. She knocked them off the list because they won't allow for hers.

You must be really close to FBT's daughter to be able to speak on her behalf about what went into her college decision as it relates to safe spaces.

Quote:I'm a real sensitive guy myself so I have tried to empathize a bit with the snowflakes

This is so contradictory that it's actually funny.  I'm actually still laughing at the above sentence.  :thanks:

Quote:College is about challenging your beliefs but she knocked 2 schools off the list because they didn't agree with her viewpoints?

Just curious, would you still be a proud dad if she goes to school and has a completely different view of the world than you do?
She took them off her list because she didn't feel she needed to attend a school where they provide her with safe shelter to avoid having her viewpoints challenged.  Not a shock that this would cause you some confusion since I'm sure you're a proponent of offense free spaces where you can go play with dolls, coloring books, or unicorns.

My daughter is a liberal arts student.  Her world view is her own.  Unlike liberals who demand everyone agree with them, she's willing to explore all viewpoints and formulate her own opinion.  She doesn't run in fear any time someone says something that she may consider offensive or disagree with completely.  She was taught better than that.  She does however take offense to being blanketed with other snowflakes of her generation who need that bubble of protection.  You clearly wouldn't understand.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:With all due respect for your daughter, who appears to be the product of good parenting, but isn't the existence of a safe space not a challenge to her belief system and rejection based on such hiding from that university's viewpoint?
I don't see it that way, and she obviously doesn't either.  I think she sees it as more of an impediment to fully realizing her views on any host of issues because a safe space by definition is intended to buffer what she's exposed to.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:She took them off her list because she didn't feel she needed to attend a school where they provide her with safe shelter to avoid having her viewpoints challenged.  Not a shock that this would cause you some confusion since I'm sure you're a proponent of offense free spaces where you can go play with dolls, coloring books, or unicorns.

My daughter is a liberal arts student.  Her world view is her own.  Unlike liberals who demand everyone agree with them, she's willing to explore all viewpoints and formulate her own opinion.  She doesn't run in fear any time someone says something that she may consider offensive or disagree with completely.  She was taught better than that.  She does however take offense to being blanketed with other snowflakes of her generation who need that bubble of protection.  You clearly wouldn't understand.
Wrong on both accounts. Thanks for your input though. 

You can answer questions without having to take a shot at the person asking a question. It is possible. 

Good luck to your daughter.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017, 02:41 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:She took them off her list because she didn't feel she needed to attend a school where they provide her with safe shelter to avoid having her viewpoints challenged.  Not a shock that this would cause you some confusion since I'm sure you're a proponent of offense free spaces where you can go play with dolls, coloring books, or unicorns.

She may not be Feeling the Bern yet but give her a few years in college..... 

Quote:Wrong on both accounts. Thanks for your input though. 

You can answer questions without having to take a shot at the person asking a question. It is possible. 

Good luck to your daughter.

Interesting.

Quote:Those weren't my words. Those were FBTs.

But I'm not shocked you missed that point.

Not so much that they won't allow for hers as much as it was about not allowing for all opinions to be heard.

Many of these safe space schools tend to be the same places where someone who comes in with a viewpoint that is in opposition to the majority on that campus are bullied into cancelling appearances, or the mere suggestion that they are coming sparks the kind of left wing outrage we saw out in Berkley recently as they protested Milo's appearance.

So, they don't want to hear opposing viewpoints, so they demand safe spaces AND the ability to riot and do damage to their own campus in the name of suppression of speech.

Quote:She may not be Feeling the Bern yet but give her a few years in college..... 

We'll see.  I tend to doubt it, but she was dropped on her head when she was younger.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2017, 02:48 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:I don't see it that way, and she obviously doesn't either.  I think she sees it as more of an impediment to fully realizing her views on any host of issues because a safe space by definition is intended to buffer what she's exposed to.

If it's a safe space only for those choosing to use it, and there is no requirement for anyone to use it, how is it impeding her in any way? Is she opposed to accommodations made for those with views with which she disagrees, even if it's non-compulsory?

- Bob Marley

Quote:If it's a safe space only for those choosing to use it, and there is no requirement for anyone to use it, how is it impeding her in any way? Is she opposed to accommodations made for those with views with which she disagrees, even if it's non-compulsory?
It's bigger than just a room.

As I pointed out in another post, most of the schools where these safe spaces are promoted also look to suppress speech beyond these rooms, especially if it's the kind of speech that doesn't subscribe to the politically correct viewpoint.  The safe space is just a laughable side effect of this mindset.  The suppression of ideas or speech on college campuses is a dangerous precedent, and one that almost always comes from the left.  It's rare you see conservatives out there protesting a left wing speaker making an appearance on campus.