Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do wobbly passes effect accuracy?

Is this something that can be fixed?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Accuracy? No.

Fixed? Maybe, but who cares? Peyton threw wobblers his whole career.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

bortles isn't a concern.

Technically.... yes. A spiral is scientifically going to be more accurate because there is less variation involved.. That being said, if the pass hits the receiver's hands, does it really matter what it looks like? I say no.

If it's really windy, a tighter spiral probably fairs better than a wobbler in terms of accuracy, but it's really not a concern.

Bortles will keep getting better. He may even tweak his spiral during an offseason down the road, but if he doesn't he'll still be fine.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016, 12:12 PM by BigJag57.)

It's not wobbling. It's just:Sting voiceBig GrinAAAAANNNCCCIIINGGGG IN THE AIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRR!!!!

Yes but not to the point it cant be overcome.

Also the manning throws wobblers constantly thing is overblown by his last few old man on the river seasons imo. There was a time when he threw nothing but lasers.

Quote:Yes but not to the point it cant be overcome.

Also the manning throws wobblers constantly thing is overblown by his last few old man on the river seasons imo. There was a time when he threw nothing but lasers.

Agreed on Manning. I keep seeing it said that he's thrown plenty of wobblers. Well, whatever, but he's known for primarily throwing one beautiful downfield strike after another.

I love how Bortles is able to hit on his deep passes, but from a beauty perspective looking at the ball traveling 
through the air, even Gabbert threw a better looking deep pass. His were merely consistently way overthrown.

'02

Yup, it's the dead zone!

The question is are wobbly passes harder or easier to catch.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016, 03:27 PM by Predator.)

Wobbly passes affect velocity. A QB with a strong arm can compensate for that.

Quote:Yup, it's the dead zone!

And a wobbly one at that.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Only if I'm throwing them.... an nfl qb throwing to nfl wrs.... not so much.

Quote:Is this something that can be fixed?

I don't think it's that big of a deal.  Peyton Manning himself didn't always throw the prettiest ball and look where he is.  Kurt Warner was known for throwing his share of ducks.  Even Joe Montana (who threw a great mid-range ball) didn't always throw a picture-perfect spiral on his longer passes.  On the other hand, Stephen Morris threw a pretty sweet looking pass but who would you rather have as your starter?

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Agreed on Manning. I keep seeing it said that he's thrown plenty of wobblers. Well, whatever, but he's known for primarily throwing one beautiful downfield strike after another.

I love how Bortles is able to hit on his deep passes, but from a beauty perspective looking at the ball traveling 
through the air, even Gabbert threw a better looking deep pass. His were merely consistently way overthrown.

Revisionism.  Sometimes they looked pretty clean, maybe half the time.  The rest not so much.  If Bortles can have the career Manning had, I'm not going to complain to much.

Quote:Revisionism.  Sometimes they looked pretty clean, maybe half the time.  The rest not so much.  If Bortles can have the career Manning had, I'm not going to complain to much.

Half?

I recall watching Peyton throwing to Harrison back in the day and it being un-real how many straight strikes he'd throw. Maybe toward the end with the bad neck and all it might have been half, but in his prime the wobbly passes were few and far between.

'02

Quote:Half?

I recall watching Peyton throwing to Harrison back in the day and it being un-real how many straight strikes he'd throw. Maybe toward the end with the bad neck and all it might have been half, but in his prime the wobbly passes were few and far between.

Peyton has always had a wobble as long as he's thrown a football.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Half.

Actually if you go back and watch videos on NFL.com of old peyton manning games when he was with the colts you'll be amazed at how wobbly most of his passes are. Sure he mixes in some tight spiral throws, but so does Blake.

Unfortunately the video quality for older games is pretty terrible, so a lot of passes it's hard to tell if they're wobbling or not, but it's definitely noticeable on a lot of them.

Yes, it does affect accuracy,  A wobbly pass is inherently less accurate than a tight spiral.

Yes, it can be corrected (to an extent).

Yes, a wobbly pass is more difficult to catch.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.