Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles should not be dismissed as a top QB due to his INTs and Comp %

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2016, 12:15 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Seems like Bortles gets a lot of flack and dismissed as a top QB because he throw a lot of interceptions his first two years and thats by Jag fans and other fans. Yes he didnt have the wins last year either but he had one of the worst defenses in the NFL and a below avg running game and OL. 

For him to throw 35 TDs and 4,400 yards is pretty amazing and I can see how he was voted in the 50's for top 100 players. 

Then people throw out but his completion % is too low, well the next coming of the greatest QB of all time career completion % is 58.1 (Andrew Luck), Bortles career comp % is 58.7. Also the greatest regular season QB of all time first 5 years INTs looked like this 28, 15, 15, 23, and 19 (Peyton Manning) and not one of those years did Manning throw for 35 TDs and only one did he throw for over 30 TDs. 

So Blake having 17 and 18 INTs his first 2 years is not that big a deal, the guy has a bunch of weapons around him now and he is the real deal, no reason to be dismissive of him as being a top QB in the NFL. 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There are more folks praising him than there are dismissing him by my count.

I see the the turnovers and comp % getting better this season and moving forward, but his style of play is probably going to involve a slightly above average number of turnovers for years to come IMO.

Quote:Bortles career comp % is 58.7. 

This is an interesting number. Several years back I was evaluating top qbs and concluded that to be included among the greats, you at least need at 59 percent completion ratio. I noticed that while top qbs often did better, all of the greats could hit this number. After Blakes rookie season I was inspired by the way he could sense pressure and move around the pocket, and I told myself that if only he could get his completion ratio up to around 59 percent, he'd be great.

'02

Bortles is not a finished product

Year 1 learn on the job

Year 2 Sling the ball showcase talent

Year 3 Refine skills and Become more efficient\

I believe he'll only get better I dont necessarily want to see more production but I expect him to become a more efficient passer in 2016

58% with no line and hardly any running game is Outstanding.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

I think what sticks out in many minds isn't just the interceptions, but the Pick 6s that came at the worst possible times. I expect much improvement in that area.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We will see an even more improved Blake Bortles this year, that's for sure.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Quote:We will see an even more improved Blake Bortles this year, that's for sure.
When you suck as bad as we do, all picks come at a bad time. He doesnt have tthe int leeway Peyton or Brady had/has

How many times are we gonna do this thread?

Quote:I think what sticks out in many minds isn't just the interceptions, but the Pick 6s that came at the worst possible times. I expect much improvement in that area.

Teams with big leads that are blocking well and controlling the game rarely commit those kinds of turnovers. Bortles has been a major victim of circumstance. He had one less come from behind victory in his second season than Luck had in his second season, and if Myers could hit a FG it would be the same number. Still when talking heads speak about the two Luck is the guy doing everything for the colts and carrying them, but Bortles is the guy dragging the Jaguars excellent team down with his horrible pick sixes.

He had no running game. We only had 1 RB that hit the 100 yard mark in a game......once.

And He only had 3 rushing touchdowns.

Blake looked real good in mini camp...so we'll see

Bortles' has been top 3 in "dropped passes" by his WRs the past couple seasons, iirc...

This would also help his comp %.

I haven't seen much flack in the mainstream outlets about Bortles this off-season. In a few months you're probably going to start seeing the NFL Fantasy guru's come out and declare him as a must have QB at the minimum this year in a two man QB system. He was ranked highly by his fellow teammates in the leauge. And he's continued to do and say the right things this off-season. Virtually every critic declared Caldwell the king of the 2016 NFL Draft and they liked some of his free agency additions as well between Jackson, Gipson and Ivory. This team is clearly on the up and up. And the mainstream is virtually doling everything it can to be in position to say "Hey! See that! We told you guys back in Feb. to watch out for this!".

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:58% with no line and hardly any running game is Outstanding.
True. The problem is we still substantially have a weak o-line. Circumstances dictated that much of our house got built before the foundation; that is, we acquired a lot of offensive weapons before we got decent linemen to block for them. I would anticipate that an improved defense should help Bortles stats as it should help open up the running game more, but our o-line is still largely a sieve.

We'll see.

It takes time. You can't fix everything at once. Which is obvious. Most of you all know that already. I still think we have some promise with Linder and Cann in the interior. We may get lucky with Beachum too. 

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/201...n-the-game

top 10 based on stats purely.  above big names like rodgers... interesting take but shows promise that bortles is still improving and he's already in the conversation for above average QBs.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Quote:http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/201...n-the-game

top 10 based on stats purely.  above big names like rodgers... interesting take but shows promise that bortles is still improving and he's already in the conversation for above average QBs.
Pretty impressive and proves my point about his numbers being fine when compared to other QBs. Also no Derrick Carr on the list, some people try to claim they are even, but the numbers prove other wise 

Player Rank (aggregate score)

1. Tom Brady (29)
  2. Drew Brees (29)
  3. Carson Palmer (23)
  4. Philip Rivers (16)
  5. Russell Wilson (15)
  6. Andy Dalton (13)
  7. Ben Roethlisberger (11)
  8. Blake Bortles (9)
  9. Aaron Rodgers (8)
  10. Matt Ryan (8)
  11. Kirk Cousins (7)
  12. Alex Smith (5)
  13. Cam Newton (4)
  14. Eli Manning (4)
  15. Matt Stafford (2)
  16. Ryan Tannehill (2)

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

What's funny aboout those rankings too is that, despite being the most sacked QB over the last two years (he doesn't even have thirty-two NFL career starts yet) he still manages to rank as the 8th QB from last year. He had no consistency behind in the running game. And he's had suspect pass protection. And lastly, he pulled it all off in a new offensive system with the same guys who came into the leuage the same time he did. He'll continue to grow. There is no doubt in my mind.

Blake is playing with a more experienced team..  a team that's gonna pound the rock and pick up first downs, and when that gets to troublesome he's going to destroy them in the air... When the defense gets on the field, they will be leaving the field before the next commercial. Blake comes back to the field and repeats. This is the realty now... Blake will throw less interceptions, less touchdowns with a higher completion percentage and overall qb rating.

This is life now, and I love it