Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
91% Of Cops Oppose Gun Control In 2013 Survey

https://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legislatio...-violence/

Enough with all the political bickering. It's time the politicians and media pundits listen to "the guys on the ground".

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Don't confuse opinions with facts. Just because police officers say it wouldn't make a difference doesn't make it so.

Of course this goes both ways but so far you've tried no restrictions and it hasn't worked. Try basic basic restrictions and see if it works, if it doesn't then change the plan and try something else. 

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2016, 06:07 PM by Dumptruck.)

Quote:Don't confuse opinions with facts. Just because police officers say it wouldn't make a difference doesn't make it so.

Of course this goes both ways but so far you've tried no restrictions and it hasn't worked. Try basic basic restrictions and see if it works, if it doesn't then change the plan and try something else. 
There are restrictions already on the books. The areas in the U.S. with the strictest gun restrictions also happen to have the most gun violence. 

Quote:Don't confuse opinions with facts. Just because police officers say it wouldn't make a difference doesn't make it so.

Most cops are fairly patriotic and oppose overreaching gun control. Not sure where you get that the US has tried no restrictions. Feel free to browse here if you have a few weeks... https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/publications-library?search_api_views_fulltext=&field_document_type_1=All&og_group_ref=1

Some of the most restrictive actually have been repealed because they were statistically proven to be useless.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I don't believe a single poll on "gun control", because there's a well organized effort amongst gun nuts to pack every ballot box when informal polls are taken.

And I find the 91% number hilarious, for reasons that long-time posters will get.

That being said, most cops I've met ARE gun nuts.  They LIKE guns.  They are gun enthusiasts, and have often been that way from an early age.  I'd say the 91% number is artificially high, but I'd bet more than 50% of cops are anti "gun control".

Quote:I don't believe a single poll on "gun control", because there's a well organized effort amongst gun nuts to pack every ballot box when informal polls are taken.

And I find the 91% number hilarious, for reasons that long-time posters will get.

That being said, most cops I've met ARE gun nuts.  They LIKE guns.  They are gun enthusiasts, and have often been that way from an early age.  I'd say the 91% number is artificially high, but I'd bet more than 50% of cops are anti "gun control".
My point exactly. I would be as if I went to UC Berkeley with the question "Should there be tighter checks and control on the sale of guns" and then reporting my findings as "vast majority of highly educated people support gun control." 

Wait, are you talking about actually implementing and analyzing social policy???  No, I'm sorry, you clearly don't understand the USA, you snowflake commie illegal immigrant from overseas.  Keep out of our system, without us, you'd be speaking Nazi...  

Let me inform you that we do not do anything unless it means to curtail our freedoms because of our irrational fear of the mooosluuum!  Except  for our freedom to kill each other at a faster and easier clip than any other nation in the world.  Because the only thing we fear more than moooseluuums is our own evil government that we created 250 years ago.  It's our God given right from the 2nd amendment that was written 250 years ago by men that were infallible and could see into the future and created a document that was static and never changing.  'mmerrica.   Trump Dynasty,  The Donald 2016 through Ivanka Trump 2052

Quote:There are restrictions already on the books. The areas in the U.S. with the strictest gun restrictions also happen to have the most gun violence. 
I actually missed this.

It's not true.

The states with the highest death rates per capita by firearms are the ones with the loosest gun restrictions.

1. Alaska

2. Louisiana

3. Mississippi

4. Alabama

5. Arkansas

6. Montana

6. (Tie) Wyoming

8. Oklahoma

9. New Mexico

10. Tennessee

To be fair, that also contains suicides and of course, accidental shootings by toddlers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/death-by...est-rates/

Fewest firearm deaths?  Hawaii, which has comically high restrictions on guns.

http://www.hawaiiguns.com/hawaii-gun-laws.html

Quote:I don't believe a single poll on "gun control", because there's a well organized effort amongst gun nuts to pack every ballot box when informal polls are taken.

I used to watch MSNBC...  It's been trash for a while now...  But there was this guy named Ed Schultz.  He'd have these "polls" where he'd ask the viewers to weigh in on a topic...  The results were always in the 87-93 percent in favor of whatever position Ed was taking.

Clearly not a true poll.  

But I've taken my fair share of statistics classes, just because there are certain polls and "pollsters" that may be able to jack up a poll, there are organizations that actually can do very good and accurate work.  Gallup polls, for instance are usually pretty dog gone accurate.

Quote:I actually missed this.

It's not true.

The states with the highest death rates per capita by firearms are the ones with the loosest gun restrictions.

1. Alaska

2. Louisiana

3. Mississippi

4. Alabama

5. Arkansas

6. Montana

6. (Tie) Wyoming

8. Oklahoma

9. New Mexico

10. Tennessee

To be fair, that also contains suicides and of course, accidental shootings by toddlers.

Hawaii just passed a law where they will notify the FBI for every gun purchaser in the state.  Pretty cool...  That's what I would call "well regulated"

I think it's important to recognize accidental and "toddler" shootings...  It proves that it's kinda important to regulate this nonsense.  

Quote:I actually missed this.

It's not true.

1. Alaska

2. Louisiana

3. Mississippi

4. Alabama

5. Arkansas

6. Montana

6. (Tie) Wyoming

8. Oklahoma

9. New Mexico

10. Tennessee

Per capita will be completely skewed. It is evident when you see that the top 10 has low populations. I imagine that the folks living in poor neighborhoods in Chicago wish they had the same gun problems as those 10 states. 

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2016, 12:00 AM by pirkster.)

Enforcement of law, or lack thereof, is a much larger risk to the public than current lawful ownership.

Until enforcement is buttoned up, any new law is simply asinine.  Yes, we are safer for ownership and with concealed/open carry.

And, as with all gun statistics, those wanting to produce favorable statistics to their intended outcome fail to differentiate self induced killing from killing of others.

The problem is cultural violence and executive failure of law enforcement and prevention.  It is not a failure of political or legislative efforts, outside of the failure to affect change of culture.

Hawaii has just proven they have mentally ill in charge of the state.  It's been a cultural problem for them assimilating into the US.  They just aren't there, never were, and probably never will be.  Explains the influence on the petulant in chief.  Which is ironic, since he should have been educated better.  There, whites and blacks both are treated similarly as second class citizens by the polynesians.  Just shows how there was never any effort by him to even consider "one people" as the same, which we all should do if we ever want to put the past behind us.

If the FBI couldn't act on what they knew about terrorists inside our borders before they killed US citizens, then there's nothing to glean from snooping on law abiding citizens.  Wasted time, effort, and resources in tracking purchases.  Better spent on prevention and better screening for what they've already failed to prevent.

The mismanagement of our government (which is the best in form created yet) is one of the biggest scams going.  It's overpaid, bloated, and failing.  Yet the answer from the mentally ill is more of the same as a "solution."  Asinine...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Asking a cop if they think guns should be illegal is about the same as asking Gus Bradley if sprinkles should be illegal. Cops were raised on guns and have had them ingrained into their minds as a must-have, much like Bradley with his sprinkles. I don't believe in the liberal concept of "gun control", as it's more "gun confiscation" than anything else, but using this poll as a mic drop is pretty weak.

Just wondering, which facts are you talking about? Are there facts that irrefutably support either side, or is this just our interpretation of numbers. Either way, this will always be about opinions, and when it comes down to opinions, I'll usually trust the people with the most experience. 

Quote:Asking a cop if they think guns should be illegal is about the same as asking Gus Bradley if sprinkles should be illegal. Cops were raised on guns and have had them ingrained into their minds as a must-have, much like Bradley with his sprinkles. I don't believe in the liberal concept of "gun control", as it's more "gun confiscation" than anything else, but using this poll as a mic drop is pretty weak.

I know you think cops are pumped out of a factory to spout propaganda and kill innocents, but cops are just normal people. Some are nerds, some are stupid, some are incredibly intelligent, some are athletic, and some are fat. 

You know what? They're no more "raised on guns" than the rest of America. Police tend to support gun ownership because they see people that would have otherwise been victims instead protect themselves. The misuse of legal gun ownership is almost nonexistent and they know that.

Quote:I know you think cops are pumped out of a factory to spout propaganda and kill innocents, but cops are just normal people. Some are nerds, some are stupid, some are incredibly intelligent, some are athletic, and some are fat.
That's not what I think at all. All cops are liars; it's in their job description to get you to incriminate yourself, and the law specifically stacks the deck so that police are allowed to lie to us, but we're not allowed to lie to them. "To protect and serve" refers to the community and, ultimately, the state, not to the individual. It's an institutionalized problem that turns good people into bad cops. Like I've said before, I have extended family in blue, and they agree completely with me that all cops are liars, and readily acknowledge that they profile (which I'm not entirely against, btw) and typically don't engage people in conversation without intending to probe them and see if they're given anything to act upon.

By "raised on them", I mean that officers are, during training, bound at the hip to a gun--quite literally. The modern police car has a veritable arsenal in it--at least one pistol, a shotgun, sometimes an assault rifle and/or tear gas. Police today are built for conflict, and a big part of that is the proliferation of gun violence at the street level. Does society need guns? Hell yes, but dropping the mic with a poll from cops asking how many of them oppose any form of gun control is a joke. They're a tiny, specialized subset of the population trained to see their gun as an extension of themselves in high-stakes situations. Of course they don't want that taken away.