Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should the UK remain with the European Union?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Brexit

While I'm not British, I can understand the sentiments of the "leave" crowd in Britain. The EU has been a disaster in my opinion, and I hope Britons can take their sovereignty back.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The EU is a bureaucratic and inefficient monster that wastes billions each year. It's also one of the greatest achievements in co-operation and civilization, bringing an unprecedented period of peace, prosperity and stability in the European continent. The UK leaving the EU will the EU, but not nearly as much as it will harm the UK. In fact, it might be enough for Scotland to vote to leave the UK.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYqzcqDtL3k

As an American, the idea of functioning without national sovereignty is abhorrent.

Also, in not sure that Britain and France were going to have another dust up if the common marketplace hadn't been established.

I voted yes, but I think for the wrong reason.

And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free.

They 100% should leave the EU.

Apparently its bad for Ireland if they do though so I hope the scaremongers convince them to stay.

I'm voting stay, personally. My reasons are personal, but I think it will be pretty much a unanimous 'leave'.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Quote:I'm voting stay, personally. My reasons are personal, but I think it will be pretty much a unanimous 'leave'.

Can you explain why? I'm not a fan of really any international trade agreements or unions but I get its the world we live in. What are the benefits for staying versus leaving?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Can you explain why? I'm not a fan of really any international trade agreements or unions but I get its the world we live in. What are the benefits for staying versus leaving?

I won't go into too much detail, but one of my reasons is that I don't believe us staying in will change much. I'm pretty happy with how things run, for the most part. Plus I don't know enough about life outside of the EU, so I think, if in doubt, stay as you are.. that's the basic explanation for my want to remain..

Quote:I won't go into too much detail, but one of my reasons is that I don't believe us staying in will change much. I'm pretty happy with how things run, for the most part. Plus I don't know enough about life outside of the EU, so I think, if in doubt, stay as you are.. that's the basic explanation for my want to remain..

Gotcha the devil you know can't fault you their.

Could be up with something worse like ukrain when they left

Quote:Gotcha the devil you know can't fault you their.

Exactly, I wouldn't say life outside of the EU scares me, but I haven't seen enough to convince me to leave.

Better the devil you know...

How well do you know the EU?

Quote:How well do you know the EU?

Having been a part of it for most of my life, and all of my adult life.. I know more about being in it, than not..

I meant how it works. European parliament, the various departments and ministries etc. Quotas and the like.

Quote:I meant how it works. European parliament, the various departments and ministries etc. Quotas and the like.

I don't know a great deal, but I know enough to get me through..

I can vote but won't bother as I now live in Australia. The key for most is the free movement of people. If they stopped this most would vote to stay. Personally I would probably vote to leave but I don't think it would effect me much either way if I lived there. I think the EU is bad for those at the bottom of society (and those poorer countries stuck with the euro)

Quote:Gotcha the devil you know can't fault you their.

Ukraine has never been in the EU.

Quote:Ukraine has never been in the EU.
I think he's referring to when Ukraine left the Soviet Union and magically found itself in possession of 23 (?) ex-Soviet supersonic nuclear bombers...and the bombs sitting in them.

Quote:Ukraine has never been in the EU.

Shouldve been more clear I was referring to the exit of USSR states that found themselves struggling on their own for decades afterwards.

Quote:Shouldve been more clear I was referring to the exit of USSR states that found themselves struggling on their own for decades afterwards.

I'm not sure that's quite a comparative to the UK as one of the world's biggest economies but obviously there is a degree of uncertainty. It looks like there will be a slim victory to stay in as it stands.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016, 09:18 AM by The Real Marty.)

I will freely admit I don't know a lot about the EU.   That said, it seems like one of the biggest problems is the difference between the rich countries and the poor countries.   Being in the EU means Greece is your problem, not their problem.   The rich countries understandably don't want to bail out the poor countries, especially since the poor countries created their own problems. 

There was a very funny 1980s British comedy, "Yes, Minister" about a British minister who wanted to advance himself politically so in one episode he took up the cause of British sausage, rebelling against EU standards for sausage.   Really funny stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpipqJNFDOQ

Anyway, here's why the EU was created, according to Sir Humphrey, the high-ranking civil servant: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrN-gkzVYI