Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should the UK remain with the European Union?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Brexit

According to the guy who founded the religion....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:His views on unrealistic expectations for his daughters are shaped by his belief in Sharia law. 

His views on unreasonable expectations for his daughters are probably shared by the majority of fathers, of any religion...even atheists. Who wants their daughters to feel bad about their bodies to the point of anorexia?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2016, 10:48 AM by Vicbow Rules.)

Quote:His views on unreasonable expectations for his daughters are probably shared by the majority of fathers, of any religion...even atheists. Who wants their daughters to feel bad about their bodies to the point of anorexia?

Agreed,

Besides, the French banned ultra skinny models a few years ago.  They joined the countries of Spain, Italy and Israel in creating such laws.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Agreed,

Besides, the French banned ultra skinny models a few years ago.  They joined the countries of Spain, Italy and Israel in creating such laws.  
There's sharia law in Israel?

Quote:There's sharia law in Israel?

LOL. 

I was going to make a comment in the original post, but decided to see if anyone picked up on it.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:I fundamentally disagree with the concept that the UK was REPRESENTED.  There was no elected official from Britain that could propose a new law, or propose the repeal of a new law.  That means that the slave states re-entering the union after loosing the civil war had a greater democratic franchise than the former British Empire that helped shape the modern world.  I don't think that was going to work. 

72 times the British opposed a measure in council, 72 times they were overruled.  That's not influence, that's helplessness. 

There are elected officials from the UK that could propose law. In fact, there are at least 73 because that's how many British Members of the European Parliament there are. In fact the UK had 9.7% of the seats in the EUP, they have 12.8% of the EU's population. Admittedly that makes them underrepresented but compared to Germany (12.8% against 16.1%) and (9.9% against 13.1%) it's pretty much in line.

And the CSA comprised over half the land of the US and almost a third of it's population. Not exactly comparable to the UK in terms of representation. 

A member of European parliament cannot propose a law or propose the repeal of a law

Skimmed through an article today saying that the UK can't actually leave the EU if the parliaments of Scotland and Northern Ireland refuse to leave.

Quote:A member of European parliament cannot propose a law or propose the repeal of a law

From a British Lord who should presumably know the law better than some Jags fan from the Netherlands.

Quote: 

Commissioners who exercise the supreme lawmaking power that was once vested in our elected Parliament – have the power, under the Treaty of Maastricht, to meet behind closed doors to override in secret any decision of that “Parliament” at will, and even to issue “Commission Regulations” that bypass it altogether.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:A member of European parliament cannot propose a law or propose the repeal of a law
From the EU's own website:

"In the beginning, the 1957 Treaty of Rome gave Parliament an advisory role in the legislative process; the Commission proposed and the Council adopted legislation. The Single European Act (1986) and the Maastricht, Amsterdam, Nice and Lisbon Treaties successively extended Parliament's prerogatives. It can now co-legislate on equal footing with the Council in a vast majority of areas (see Ordinary legislative procedure) and consultation became a special legislative procedure (or even a non-legislative procedure) used in a limited number of cases."

Quote:From a British Lord who should presumably know the law better than some Jags fan from the Netherlands.

From the same website:

"The European Parliament may approve or reject a legislative proposal, or propose amendments to it. The Council is not legally obliged to take account of Parliament's opinion but in line with the case-law of the Court of Justice, it must not take a decision without having received it."

Link.

So in the end, the EUP can propose laws, they can propose amendments and they can reject laws it's just that their opinion isn't binding (much like this referendum). BTW, the European Council is made of the cabinets of the EU member states, which in the case of the UK where/are all elected officials (though ultimately appointed to their respective cabinets). The Commission referred to in Malabar's post is made up of 28 members appointed by the Council and approved by Parliament. Much like how the Secretary of State is appointed by the President and approved by the Senate. 

Quote:So in the end, the EUP can propose laws, they can propose amendments and they can reject laws it's just that their opinion isn't binding (much like this referendum).

... How the hell did leave only get 52%?

Quote:... How the hell did leave only get 52%?
Wanna hear the really fun part? By voting to leave the European Union the UK will likely be joining the European Economic Area which is similar but with a few key differences. What those differences will be depends on the Chapter 50 negotiations but we can look at Iceland and Norway (both in the EEA but not the EU) to get a rough idea. Here's what they have:

They pay the same membership dues a normal EU member has to pay, both are subject to EU laws on freedom of movement and labor, and both have to enforce EU laws as well. What they don't get is any kind of say in forming those laws so EUP seats, no seats on the Commission, and no seats on the Council. In fact their representation is effectively zero despite being taxed at roughly the same level as a normal EU member. The only plus point they do have is autonomy of laws concerning certain areas of their economy (fishing, farming and natural resources) that are important to them.

So I like I said; they voted to likely go from taxed and represented (albeit less than I thought) to taxed and not represented.

Quote:Except they were very much represented which, if they do leave the EU, they will not be. However there no guarantee the UK won't have to pay into the EU much the same way Iceland and Norway do. So they're likely going from taxed and represented to taxed but not represented. 
I don't live in the country about to be known as the country formerly known as the United Kingdom, I'm only going by what I've heard...

And that is a majority of the leavers didn't feel they were represented commensurate with their support.

Perception or reality, it transferred into votes.  Just like here in the U.S.

Quote:I don't live in the country about to be known as the country formerly known as the United Kingdom, I'm only going by what I've heard...

Which brings me nicely onto the next point:

Scotland is already making moves to leave the UK which might very well succeed. But there's similar noises coming from Northern Ireland and if they choose to leave they might tie it into joining Ireland and have fun explaining that one to the loyalists over there. 

Looks like the EU is having no more Exit nonsense.  They want to do away with nations altogether. 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/6...ate-Brexit

Quote:Looks like the EU is having no more Exit nonsense.  They want to do away with nations altogether. 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/6...ate-Brexit
No offense but do you have a secondary source on that? Because I can't find a single other news source on this story and the Daily Princess isn't exactly a bastion of quality reporting with regards to Europe.

That's the only one I saw, but the story says the plan will be presented to some countries later today, so we should soon know if it's real or not. 

Quote:That's the only one I saw, but the story says the plan will be presented to some countries later today, so we should soon know if it's real or not. 
It's already 11PM over here, well past any time any European politician would actually still be working and I haven't heard jack. Besides, the footy's been on and no politician is going to make big sweeping presentations when half the electorate is watching 22 grown men chase an inflated pig's bladder around a field. 

BTW, the EU is already playing hard ball with the UK saying there will be no informal discussions on the UK leaving. If they want to discuss leaving, they have to invoke Article 50.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2016, 05:49 PM by lastonealive.)

Quote:BTW, the EU is already playing hard ball with the UK saying there will be no informal discussions on the UK leaving. If they want to discuss leaving, they have to invoke Article 50.

The big vested interests will make the EU talk with the state of the markets. The EU is dying before our eyes.

Can't see Juncker lasting too long.