Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug Marrone

This clip is from the front page.

Seems he really has fun coaching this group, but later, you see how well he teaches.

It reiterates to me part of why I would want him to replace Bradley if it came down to it.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...0a956356b1

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm curious as to why he still hasn't found another head coaching gig. He's had like 6 interviews in the past 2 years.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I'm curious as to why he still hasn't found another head coaching gig. He's had like 6 interviews in the past 2 years.

Maybe he really likes it here and wants to be ready when it's his turn later this year.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Maybe he really likes it here and wants to be ready when it's his turn later this year.

Lol. Good one!
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Cool vid. Didn't know he was that loud lol.
Shock the world

Quote:I'm curious as to why he still hasn't found another head coaching gig. He's had like 6 interviews in the past 2 years.
I've thought this myself but you know, maybe he just doesn't want to be a head coach. He did step away from the last one. Some people can't handle that pressure, and maybe he just wants to coach the o line. Who knows.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

There's enough evidence as to why no one wants him as a head coach. I don't either. He'd be a disaster.

Quote:There's enough evidence as to why no one wants him as a head coach. I don't either. He'd be a disaster.
Coaching Buffalo to their first winning season in over 10 years without the benefit of a franchise QB is NOT what I would consider disastrous.

The thing is, there is a difference between being a good teacher (position coach) and being a head coach.  The head coach in the NFL isn't as involved as most people think with the development of players.  Ponder this for a bit.  How often do you see a head coach running drills or even with a whistle in their mouth?  Not often.

A head coach is pretty much a manager more than anything else.  It's all about who he appoints to run various aspects of the team.  I'll use a Navy analogy here.  The Commanding Officer probably doesn't know how certain equipment works on a ship or an aircraft.  He'e responsible for issuing orders to the people below him that do know how it works, and they are the ones that actually carry it out and make it happen.

The same thing goes for an NFL team.  You have position coaches, training staff, etc. that have their own group of people that work for them to make everything happen.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bradley has undeniably done a poor job as head coach in his time here. However, with the talent that Caldwell has acquired I expect the team to start winning now and the end of the "fire Gus" talk. He may never be considered a top 10 coach, but with experience he will be good enough to lead this team to the playoffs no later than 2017-18. I am pulling for him, because he just seems like a genuinely good guy whose players will never quit on. My guess is that he will learn to be tougher on those players who need it. He probably had some say in the decision to replace Babich with Wash, which couldn't have been easy considering their clase relationship.

Quote:Bradley has undeniably done a poor job as head coach in his time here. However, with the talent that Caldwell has acquired I expect the team to start winning now and the end of the "fire Gus" talk. He may never be considered a top 10 coach, but with experience he will be good enough to lead this team to the playoffs no later than 2017-18. I am pulling for him, because he just seems like a genuinely good guy whose players will never quit on. My guess is that he will learn to be tougher on those players who need it. He probably had some say in the decision to replace Babich with Wash, which couldn't have been easy considering their clase relationship.

Can you post actual facts regarding the part in bold, or are you one of the ones that thinks that a head coach "magically" turns a team around in one season to be Super Bowl champs?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

maybe he is a Norv turner /  Wade Phillips type of guy.  Great coach, but not the guy to be HC.

Nothing wrong with being good at what you do.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Can you post actual facts regarding the part in bold, or are you one of the ones that thinks that a head coach "magically" turns a team around in one season to be Super Bowl champs?
Bradley has been the coach for 3 years. No, I don't believe a coach "magically" can turn a team around, period. A great coach like Belicheck or Lombardi is probably worth a maximum of 2-3 wins and even Belicheck couldn't win with the Browns. 

My original comments were meant to support Gus Bradley. However, even the most biased fan would have to admit that Bradley has done a poor job making halftime adjustments. The statistics clearly support this. As far as specific instances, I could point to several. Having Gerhart carry the ball 3 consecutive times from one yard out and failing to get in the endzone would qualify, I believe.

Quote:Bradley has been the coach for 3 years. No, I don't believe a coach "magically" can turn a team around, period. A great coach like Belicheck or Lombardi is probably worth a maximum of 2-3 wins and even Belicheck couldn't win with the Browns. 

My original comments were meant to support Gus Bradley. However, even the most biased fan would have to admit that Bradley has done a poor job making halftime adjustments. The statistics clearly support this. As far as specific instances, I could point to several. Having Gerhart carry the ball 3 consecutive times from one yard out and failing to get in the endzone would qualify, I believe.

On the halftime adjustments, I agree to an extent. Last year around mid-season it's like something snapped and he figured it out.

As a side note, I love what Doug told AJ as they were walking off...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">AJ you wrecked them. You must have retired about three defensive ends out there. They didn't expect to see your quickness out there at tackle.

'02

Quote:On the halftime adjustments, I agree to an extent. Last year around mid-season it's like something snapped and he figured it out.

As a side note, I love what Doug told AJ as they were walking off...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">AJ you wrecked them. You must have retired about three defensive ends out there. They didn't expect to see your quickness out there at tackle.
I loved that, too.

Not sure if I'd put Cann at T, but the team might get desperate enough to try it one day.

Would be nice if he could play it well in a pinch.

Is it just me or did Doug say the f word instead of "funky" music

Also, towards the end when Doug was talking to Koyack, I thought I saw 87 running past them. 87 is Sterling. We didn't see him a lot last season, but he looked...big. He definitely looks like a TE now.

Quote:Can you post actual facts regarding the part in bold, or are you one of the ones that thinks that a head coach "magically" turns a team around in one season to be Super Bowl champs?

His career W-L #s are pretty tragic. Forget SB Champs. Before last year we were out of playoff contention by Thanksgiving. I get he didn't have the most talent to work with, but even Cleveland was able to surprise with Pettine. That said, I am optimistic this is the turn around year for Gus, the Jaguars and this whole fan base. STEAL THE SHOW!
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016, 04:16 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Marrone singing a little Grandmaster Flash (The Message)---not bad !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLHrhLVwzs

Quote:Bradley has been the coach for 3 years. No, I don't believe a coach "magically" can turn a team around, period. A great coach like Belicheck or Lombardi is probably worth a maximum of 2-3 wins and even Belicheck couldn't win with the Browns. 

Regarding the first part in bold, that's where you are wrong.  A Head Coach does not bring a team wins.  It's all about the players doing their jobs correctly.

Regarding half time adjustments, yes the Head Coach might have a say in the matter, but it's the position coaches that make a difference.

Play calling is not done by the Head Coach (in many cases) so having Gerhardt run 3 consecutive times isn't necessarily a direct call by the HC.  Is failing to get into the end zone a failure of the coaches or a failure of the team, specifically the offense?

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016, 05:23 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:Regarding the first part in bold, that's where you are wrong. A Head Coach does not bring a team wins. It's all about the players doing their jobs correctly.
A good HC helps your players do their jobs correctly in many different ways. A HC most certainly does bring a team wins.

Wins are a result of players and coaching. Not just one or the other.