Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars to use more 'no huddle'

Bortles had 2 tds and no interceptions during the 2 minute drill.

Olsen looking to use more of this. I like it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The offense as a whole was a lot better during the 2 minute drills. I don't know if it was just Blake's comfort level or guys sand bagging or what but in games where the offense seemed stymied you could always count on the 2-minute drill and in 3 passes we'd be threatening to score. I like the idea of us moving towards this on offense and I think it would make us that much better but if the defense is giving up points all the time and can't get off the field this would just hurt us more. Kind of like Chip Kelly's offense in Philly.

No pain, no gain.

I think this could help our running game as well.

They have the pieces for it, and a QB who's very comfortable running it. Mix n match, change things up, keep Ds on toes. I have a potentially related question though; how much does speed come into play on no huddles? Not in terms of long plays, but quickness to deceive opponents. Not much I'd imagine, moreso a test of endurance/fitness/awareness, no?

On speed in general, the D's stride in this regard has been duly acknowledged. What about speed on O. We have quick twitch wideouts certainly, but what's the general consensus on our ranking on pure speed offensively?
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:They have the pieces for it, and a QB who's very comfortable running it. Mix n match, change things up, keep Ds on toes. I have a potentially related question though; how much does speed come into play on no huddles? Not in terms of long plays, but quickness to deceive opponents. Not much I'd imagine, moreso a test of endurance/fitness/awareness, no?

On speed in general, the D's stride in this regard has been duly acknowledged. What about speed on O. We have quick twitch wideouts certainly, but what's the general consensus on our ranking on pure speed offensively?

It's more about conditioning and endurance.

Also it's about discipline bc a false start or broken play will kill the momentum.

Speed helps of course.

I like the sound of this.

Indeed. So where would you say the Jags rank on overall speed offensively. I am curious because we've had some strong opinions typifying A Rob as a 2 due to lack of pure speed to stretch Ds, go over the top etc. Other takes on Bortles 40 time (though inconsequential, in my view), and Yeldon/Ivory aren't considered burners. How about Thomas/Lewis?

Are we a middle of the road offensive team speedwise, faster than imagined, relatively 'slow'? Pure speed isn't football, that's for the tracks, acknowledged. Just wondering. Is this a limitation, an avenue for further personnel improvements moving forward?

And I'm home, been a while, so all up in Jags grill

Well neither Hurns or Arob are true speedsters but are fast enough. Combine their size with solid speed and we are good . Greene and Lee are supposed to be the speedsters and both are very fast.

Yeldon isnt very fast but again is fast enough to not have it be glaring weakness.

JT on a positional basis is fast for a TE as very few LBs and even some safeties would have trouble with him in a straight line so that helps. 

Id put us just above the middle of the league in terms of offensive speed due to Lee,Greene and Thomas. Our main targets Hurns and Arob and our main back aren't speedsters but do have enough to be effective given how physical and technical/savy they play. 

Quote:They have the pieces for it, and a QB who's very comfortable running it. Mix n match, change things up, keep Ds on toes. I have a potentially related question though; how much does speed come into play on no huddles? Not in terms of long plays, but quickness to deceive opponents. Not much I'd imagine, moreso a test of endurance/fitness/awareness, no?

I tend to think the move to add more no huddle isn't about playing a more up tempo offense.  It's more about giving your QB the opportunity to get to the line more quickly so that he can assess the defense and make any adjustments at the line.  It helps create mismatches by keeping defensive personnel adjustments to a minimum, so Bortles can identify and attack defensive weaknesses.  This has a lot to do with a growing trust in Blake's grasp of the offense, personnel, and situational play calling.  It's also recognition that Bortles is a great ad-libber. 

I don't think we're going to see the Jags adopting some form of Chip Kelly's hurry up offense. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I think it won't be a full time hurry up like Chip Kelly.

At most, it'll be like Buffalo in the Jim Kelly era or Cincy under Esiason & Wyche.

I think it'll be more situational...to either take advantage of a formation/personnel matchup advantage, or to change things up.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I think it won't be a full time hurry up like Chip Kelly.

At most, it'll be like Buffalo in the Jim Kelly era or Cincy under Esiason & Wyche.

I think it'll be more situational...to either take advantage of a formation/personnel matchup advantage, or to change things up.
Agreed.  Peyton Manning ran no huddle for years.  It wasn't a hurry up offense.  It was simply acknowledgment that Manning was astute enough to get to the line, evaluate the defense, and make adjustments to the call at the line. It's not going to be this relentless hurry up. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Makes sense. Not the frantic mania of the duck dude, but a change up based on flow of game, given Bortles' abilities thus far.

That's one of the more encouraging aspects of him as a person, the hunger and drive to be better. Him and the Allens same ilk; dedication and willingness to give their all, and they seem to have a genuine family bond which can only continue to bolster the O.

He adjusted his throwing motion and footwork successfully after 1 year. I expect those debilitating turnovers to be significantly less this year and a distant memory soon.

I remember alot of posters, myself included, were confused when they stopped using No Huddle when it seemed like it was the only thing working in some games.  This is great news and shows that it may not be overused, but if it is successful like last season, then they will actually stick with it.  It still all depends on the Oline to be successful though and that's the big question.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Speaking of two-minute drills, has there been any indication as they approach the end zone that Bortles has learned to throw a decent fade pass?

'02

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2016, 12:06 PM by AP06.)

I think the main driver to stay away from the no huddle offense in the past, is that it puts tremendous strain on the defense (if it goes well or not).  The coaches must feel the defense will show improvement to the point where they have enough depth that the offense can play no huddle more often. 

Quote:Speaking of two-minute drills, has there been any indication as they approach the end zone that Bortles has learned to throw a decent fade pass?

HA !!   2015 --- should we throw the fade or should we ram it down their throats with the Horse !!