Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
No respect from national publications

Just got my first look at pre-season publications. Both Lindy's and Athlons picked the Jaguars for 3rd place behind the Texans and Colts. The only position group rated very high were the wide-receivers. On the one hand, I can understand that this team must first prove it on the field after so many terrible seasons, however I don't think they are factoring in all the team's new acquisitions enough.

Talent-wise, I would rate the Jaguars number 1 in the division- and by more than a small margin. The only position group that is a question-mark would be the offensive line, but even they should be significantly better than last year with the addition of Beachum and the return of Linder. The Texans do have a very solid defense, but if their q.b. was any good, I believe he'd be back with Denver. The Colts, despite having an elite q.b., have other concerns such as offensive line and their overall defense. 

In some ways, I like the dis-respect since it will motivate the team even more. However, once the pundits get a look at the speed and talent on our defense, it won't be long until they are seen as a strong favorite to dominate the AFC South for the next 3-5 years, at the least. Am I being too biased, or is this optimism warranted?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE!

No respeck

Quote:Just got my first look at pre-season publications. Both Lindy's and Athlons picked the Jaguars for 3rd place behind the Texans and Colts. The only position group rated very high were the wide-receivers. On the one hand, I can understand that this team must first prove it on the field after so many terrible seasons, however I don't think they are factoring in all the team's new acquisitions enough.

Talent-wise, I would rate the Jaguars number 1 in the division- and by more than a small margin. The only position group that is a question-mark would be the offensive line, but even they should be significantly better than last year with the addition of Beachum and the return of Linder. The Texans do have a very solid defense, but if their q.b. was any good, I believe he'd be back with Denver. The Colts, despite having an elite q.b., have other concerns such as offensive line and their overall defense. 

In some ways, I like the dis-respect since it will motivate the team even more. However, once the pundits get a look at the speed and talent on our defense, it won't be long until they are seen as a strong favorite to dominate the AFC South for the next 3-5 years, at the least. Am I being too biased, or is this optimism warranted?

The Jaguars were the most talented team in the division at QB and a lot of other spots and still finished 3rd.

Until the coaching improves to the point that the team can succeed it only makes sense for publications to pick the Jaguars to continue to fall short of where their talent merits them to be, sad as that might be.

[Image: 140125_SteelArmy_Photos_PitchforksTorche...Groups.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2016, 01:43 PM by MojoKing.)

Dey tuk uer jeeeeeeeerrrrrbs

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2016, 01:47 PM by Jagwired.)

[Image: 200.gif]

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Well I'm sure after we beat Green Bay in week one. We still won't get respect. What's wrong with packers? What's wrong with Rodgers? What's wrong with Randall Cobb? I won't care though. Go Jags! Steal the show!

You are an idiot.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Quote:The Jaguars were the most talented team in the division at QB and a lot of other spots and still finished 3rd.

Until the coaching improves to the point that the team can succeed it only makes sense for publications to pick the Jaguars to continue to fall short of where their talent merits them to be, sad as that might be.
The jags were the least talented team in many positions last year with huge roster holes and that talented QB was young, inexperienced, and extremely mistake prone.

You might be able to make that case this year, but you are on crack if you don't think the roster had some crippling deficiencies last year.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2016, 02:09 PM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:The jags were the least talented team in many positions last year with huge roster holes and that talented QB was young, inexperienced, and extremely mistake prone.

You might be able to make that case this year, but you are on crack if you don't think the roster had some crippling deficiencies last year.
Agree. The roster was really bad last year lol idk where people get the idea that we were better than our record.

Thought it was funny that Lindy's rated our draft as a B+.

Quote:The jags were the least talented team in many positions last year with huge roster holes and that talented QB was young, inexperienced, and extremely mistake prone.

Okay, linebackers, Poz, Telvin and Skuta. Not at least on par with the rest of the division? Offensive line, maybe a little below, but not that much, it's not like this is a division of elite offensive lines. WR, Jaguars easily had the best receivers and TEs. RB I'd say the Jaguars were at least as good as the rest of the division. Safety the Jaguars were probably last place thanks to Cyp, but at corner House and Colvin aren't that bad. D line the Jaguars didn't have great pass rushers, but they were at least able to hold up against the run. At QB of course Bortles was the class of the division.

Where were the huge holes compared to the rest of the division that made the Jaguars a 2-4 team in the division?

LINDY'S

LINDY's

LINDY's

Quote:Okay, linebackers, Poz, Telvin and Skuta. Not at least on par with the rest of the division? Offensive line, maybe a little below, but not that much, it's not like this is a division of elite offensive lines. WR, Jaguars easily had the best receivers and TEs. RB I'd say the Jaguars were at least as good as the rest of the division. Safety the Jaguars were probably last place thanks to Cyp, but at corner House and Colvin aren't that bad. D line the Jaguars didn't have great pass rushers, but they were at least able to hold up against the run. At QB of course Bortles was the class of the division.

Where were the huge holes compared to the rest of the division that made the Jaguars a 2-4 team in the division?
We struggled with the two of the most important things in the NFL, protecting the QB and getting after the opposing QB.

Those two things alone have enough of a compounding effect to nullify many of the things that you may be actually good at.

Quote:We struggled with the two of the most important things in the NFL, protecting the QB and getting after the opposing QB.

Those two things alone have enough of a compounding effect to nullify many of the things that you may be actually good at.

Except for the texans the rest of the division struggled with those things, too. The titans had 3 more sacks as a team than us, the colts had 1 less. The titans gave 54 sacks, the jaguars gave up 51, and the texans and colts both gave up in the upper 30s. The best team in the league only gave up 18. The division as a whole had poor pass protection and except for the texans no one made a lot more sacks, either.

Like I said, the Jaguars had their problems, but they were they really 2-4 in the division bad, talent wise?

Sprinkles picked 3rd, writers must prefer Carvel and Breyers.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Except for the texans the rest of the division struggled with those things, too. The titans had 3 more sacks as a team than us, the colts had 1 less. The titans gave 54 sacks, the jaguars gave up 51, and the texans and colts both gave up in the upper 30s. The best team in the league only gave up 18. The division as a whole had poor pass protection and except for the texans no one made a lot more sacks, either.

Like I said, the Jaguars had their problems, but they were they really 2-4 in the division bad, talent wise?
You do realize the team was one competent FG kicker from going 4-2 in the division, right?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Summary - the parts of the team Bradley doesnt coach took huge strides last year, the rest sucked [BLEEP] for the third year in a row.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:You do realize the team was one competent FG kicker from going 4-2 in the division, right?

I'll give you 3-3, but even if Myers hit all of his extra points against the titans it would still only have the game tied. Still anyone arguing that the Jaguars had significant talent deficiencies compared to the rest of the division needs to put the pipe down. The jaguars had a wide lead at the most important position on the field, and the only other team in the division with a significantly better unit than the rest of the division was the texans pass rush. The Jaguars receivers and QB were far and away the class of the division, but Gus never could manage to get the team in sync enough to actually make that matter.