Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Defensive Ruminations

From NFL Network talking heads, former Dallas Cowboys OL Brian Baldinger, and Tinhorn QB David Carr...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap...sf26789969

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Personnel to have a Top 10 defense, likely so. Top 10 defense over all 16 regular season games, pretty unlikely, as is pointed out there is going to need to be time to come together as a group and to acclimate to the huge leap from college to the NFL for so many rookies.

I think a fair evaluation would be to ignore the first eight games, regardless of outcomes and make judgments based on the last eight and that goes for judging Gus as well.

Quote:Personnel to have a Top 10 defense, likely so. Top 10 defense over all 16 regular season games, pretty unlikely, as is pointed out there is going to need to be time to come together as a group and to acclimate to the huge leap from college to the NFL for so many rookies.

I think a fair evaluation would be to ignore the first eight games, regardless of outcomes and make judgments based on the last eight and that goes for judging Gus as well.
I think five weeks is about right.

I remember when Jacksonville and Carolina played their first few games in their histories.

Carolina started out 0-5 and allowed 20 points or more in each of their first five games.

Then they won 5 out of their next 6 games, allowing 20 points or more once during that stretch.

Jacksonville started out 0-4 and then won 3 out of the next 4.

I think we should have six new starters on defense this year:

Fowler

M. Jackson

Jack

Ramsey

Gipson

six if you count Amukumara.

Of those players, Fowler already knows the scheme.  It's not like those expansion teams where everyone was learning the scheme at the same time.

Even though there are new starters at each level of the defense, there are guys at each level that knows the scheme and can help teach the new guys.

Furthermore, by most accounts, Jack, Ramsey and Gipson are picking up the scheme quickly.

Besides, this group appears far more talented than either expansion team's defense.

While there are some formidable QBs the first few weeks of the season, I think the defense will start showing signs of improvement before week 8, given good health.

Quote:Personnel to have a Top 10 defense, likely so. Top 10 defense over all 16 regular season games, pretty unlikely, as is pointed out there is going to need to be time to come together as a group and to acclimate to the huge leap from college to the NFL for so many rookies.

Good luck with that.....

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

It's going to be a tough go this year. Especially the first month of football for this defense. Barring any key injuries to these signal callers.

1. Aaron Rodgers - Superbowl Caliber QB / MVP Caliber QB at home in an opener 

2. Philip Rivers - MVP Caliber QB - Has a history of schooling us on the road 

3. Joe Flacco - Superbowl Caliber QB at home

4. Andrew Luck - Prior to his injuries in 2015 - One of the best and most respected QB's in the NFL and this is across the pond

5. BYE WEEK

6. Jay Cutler - Turnover prone on the road - Hope to honestly see some flashes right here after the bye week

7. Derek Carr - Ascending young QB - Same class as Bortles - Could go either way here at home 

8. Marcus Mariota - Another ascending young QB who has already had a decent showing against this team - I think we get him

9. Alex Smith - Another savy veteran with a respectable track record on the road here 

10. Brock Osweiler - I don't know what to expect out of him, by week 10 we'll have a good feeling at home

11. Matthew Stafford - Interesting to see how he fairs this year without Johnson Jr. - His been turnover prone in the past on road

12. Tyrod Taylor - This is interesting, could be anybody at QB by week 12 in Buffalo - could be tough on the road regardless

13. Paxton Lynch - Again, this is interesting, could be anybody at week 13 with Denver at home

14. Teddy Bridgewater - He's a safe QB - By Week 14 his game could be different than what we've seen here at home

15. Brock Osweiler - Again, not sure yet this time on the road

16. Marcus Mariota - Again, this time at home

17. Andrew Luck - We play them basically twice this year away from our true home - Could be swept by a healthy Luck clots team

Looking through the above QBs. Without training camp, pre-season play, etc. I see our defense breaking down in these kinds of groups. 

QB's who will give this defense trouble for certain:

Aaron Rodgers

Philip Rivers 

Andrew Luck x2

Joe Flacco

Alex Smith 

QB's who could have a good game or a really bad game for certain:

Jay Cutler

Matthew Stafford 

Derek Carr

Teddy Bridgewater

Brock Osweiler x2 

QB's who could struggle for certain and should struggle:

Marucs Mariota x2

Denver's QB

Buffalo's QB

This year's schedule offers a WIDE spectrum for our young defense to prove itself. You're getting five quarterbacks with proven play-off records, statistics and game breaking abilities. You're getting another batch of young quarterbacks with limited experience but big play ability like Mariota, Bridgewater and Carr. And then you're getting guys like Cutler and Stafford who can be really, really good or really, really bad based on their history. And then you're getting relatively unknown situations with Denver and Buffalo. So it's a healthy up and down test this year for a young defense. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:It's going to be a tough go this year. Especially the first month of football for this defense. Barring any key injuries to these signal callers.

4. Andrew Luck - Prior to his injuries in 2015 - One of the best and most respected QB's in the NFL and this is across the pond

5. BYE WEEK

6. Jay Cutler - Turnover prone on the road - Hope to honestly see some flashes right here after the bye week

7. Derek Carr - Ascending young QB - Same class as Bortles - Could go either way here at home

8. Marcus Mariota - Another ascending young QB who has already had a decent showing against this team - I think we get him

9. Alex Smith - Another savy veteran with a respectable track record on the road here

10. Brock Osweiler - I don't know what to expect out of him, by week 10 we'll have a good feeling at home

11. Matthew Stafford - Interesting to see how he fairs this year without Johnson Jr. - His been turnover prone in the past on road

12. Tyrod Taylor - This is interesting, could be anybody at QB by week 12 in Buffalo - could be tough on the road regardless

13. Paxton Lynch - Again, this is interesting, could be anybody at week 13 with Denver at home

14. Teddy Bridgewater - He's a safe QB - By Week 14 his game could be different than what we've seen here at home

17. Andrew Luck - We play them basically twice this year away from our true home - Could be swept by a healthy Luck clots team

Looking through the above QBs. Without training camp, pre-season play, etc. I see our defense breaking down in these kinds of groups.

Aaron Rodgers

Philip Rivers

Andrew Luck x2

Joe Flacco

Alex Smith

Jay Cutler

Matthew Stafford

Derek Carr

Teddy Bridgewater

Brock Osweiler x2

Marucs Mariota x2

Denver's QB

Buffalo's QB

This year's schedule offers a WIDE spectrum for our young defense to prove itself. You're getting five quarterbacks with proven play-off records, statistics and game breaking abilities. You're getting another batch of young quarterbacks with limited experience but big play ability like Mariota, Bridgewater and Carr. And then you're getting guys like Cutler and Stafford who can be really, really good or really, really bad based on their history. And then you're getting relatively unknown situations with Denver and Buffalo. So it's a healthy up and down test this year for a young defense.

It's the NFL... You have to beat good teams

Quote:It's the NFL... You have to beat good teams

Obviously. But I think our fan-base needs to be realistic and not completely drink the teal kool-aid just yet. And above all, they need to be patient. Yes, the media is hyping us up. Yes, the local news is hyping up. Yes, we should be hyped up. But reel it back a little. I think the first month is absolutely going to be brutal on this team. Especially on a young defense with so many new faces on it. You couldn't have asked for a tougher first four weeks in my opinion. 

Is it nice to start the season at home? Sure. Against Rodgers? Nope. Then we have to go out west in week two already against a Chargers team and against Rivers who just historically tee's off on our defense? Ouch. Then we travel all the way back home from the west coast and have to play against a Raven's team who has back from an injury riddled 2015 season a quarterback like Flacco who can win games with his big arm and scrambling ability? And then to ice it off, we have to travel to England to play a divisional opponent who is also looking to reignite it's success with a healthy Andrew Luck. Then, you get an early bye week. 

Not easy. And if this team is lucky to win one game during this stretch. Where is the defense's head and mentality at? Especially for the younger guys? I think make or break is an early statement and it could happen pretty fast. Naturally we'll hope to see our offense duke it out with these first four teams this year and overcome any defensive weaknesses. But it won't be easy. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2016, 01:32 PM by JAXsonVIL.)

If our defense finishes middle of the pack I'll be happy. That's all it would've taken to make the playoffs last year.

Quote:If our defense finishes middle of the pack I'll be happy. That's all it would've taken to make the playoffs last year.

That's about what I expect, with improvement throughout the year. I expect we have a top 10 run defense, but everything else, I'm not so sure. Top 16 is my expectation though.
No commercial messages in sigs

It all boils down to how well we can rush the passer.

We still don't have a proven edge rusher. That could be the defense's Achilles Heel.

Just keep pushing that bar down. Gus just needs three more years and a half dozen pro bowlers to make this work. If he's not at 7-9 by 2020 then the GM might have to give him a vote o confidence. Otherwise he might feel pressure that his job could maybe be on the line at some point.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2016, 03:29 PM by JackCity.)

The defense will take time to gel but that doesn't mean we should ignore the first 8 games. Our offense should be one of the best in the NFL this year and we should win games regardless of how long the defense takes it gel.

Barring a rash of injuries to the starters, I see the Jaguars moving up to number 15 on defense. This is a great improvement, especially since the schedule is much tougher. However, in two years the defense will be in the top 3. I believe the talent level will be 2nd to none and once they have a season playing together under their belts- watch out!

Quote:Just keep pushing that bar down. Gus just needs three more years and a half dozen pro bowlers to make this work. If he's not at 7-9 by 2020 then the GM might have to give him a vote o confidence. Otherwise he might feel pressure that his job could maybe be on the line at some point.
I'm not pushing the bar down.

The defense and the team as a whole still has the mandate to play well, no matter if week one or week 17 or anywhere in between.

But if there is some period of adjustment to be made by all of the new players to the defense, about 4-5 weeks should be the upper end of the limit.

Other then Rivers and Rodgers no Qb on that list scares me.

We play alot of non shootout style qbs and the ones we do (stafford,cutler) are not what they once were.

Mariota,Bridgewater,Smith,Osweiler, and Flacco are game managers if the offense scores and forces them to throw a ton they will falter.

Also why would we be swept by Luck? His luster has worn off he is injury prone and a turnover machine in his own right.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2016, 04:24 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:Other then Rivers and Rodgers no Qb on that list scares me.

We play alot of non shootout style qbs and the ones we do (stafford,cutler) are not what they once were.

Mariota,Bridgewater,Smith,Osweiler, and Flacco are game managers if the offense scores and forces them to throw a ton they will falter.

Also why would we be swept by Luck? His luster has worn off he is injury prone and a turnover machine in his own right.
Stafford and Cutler had two of their best years last year,but yeah not too scared of them.Luck is still a big threat despite what people say. We'll beat them in London.

Quote:Other then Rivers and Rodgers no Qb on that list scares me.

Rivers shouldn't scare anyone at this point either. It's just been the complete ineptness of Gus and every other Jaguars coach since Coughlin left that makes Rivers such a problem, but he's not one of the true elite QBs in the league.

I see the defense differently than some, I expect it should be pretty close to 100% right out of the gate in game one. Gus is supposed to be a defensive Guru (lol) and aside from Ramsey and Jack the defense should be set up with a lot of veteran talent that can be brought up to speed quickly to play any scheme, and I personally expect Ramsey and Jack to play pretty well right from the start just thanks to overpowering talent.

No, if the Jaguars defense isn't at least as good as an average defense in the league right out of the gate it'll mean problems, because it's not that likely that Gus will be able to find time to teach a buy of guys the system more than he'll be able to do so with all of the open practice time he's having now through the end of August.

It's time for the low expectations to drop by the wayside, this is year four of a the rebuild, teams with good management are talking playoffs right now, not about possibly being decent at the end of another season of losing.

Agree with the above. Jack and Ramsey aren't projects they are slated to be good to go right out of the box with both having premier athletic ability to make up for the learning curve of a NFL system. Other then them we have veterans at every level of the defense most who have proven themselves at one time or another to be solid if not upper level players.

Gipson - former top flight safety and probowler

Jackson - top 5 at his position highly touted

Telvin - one of the leagues better young LBs

Marks - when healthy has proven near dominant

Amukamara / House - veteran solid corners

This D should be good out the gate its the later parts of the year where injuries set in that might pose a problem. No more low expectations this is the time to show where the drafting and FA moves have gotten us. Its good we play the tougher qbs early we should be hoping Caldwell has built a d capable of making them look bad.

The Jags played SD last year. Rivers destroyed their D. Even if SD beats them in 2016, the fans should expect to see their D make things more difficult for Rivers than they were in 2015.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Quote:It's going to be a tough go this year. Especially the first month of football for this defense. Barring any key injuries to these signal callers.

5. BYE WEEK

Aaron Rodgers

Philip Rivers 

Andrew Luck x2

Joe Flacco

Alex Smith 

Jay Cutler

Matthew Stafford 

Derek Carr

Teddy Bridgewater

Brock Osweiler x2 

Marucs Mariota x2

Denver's QB

Buffalo's QB

This is a much better way to look at an NFL schedule!