Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Defensive Ruminations

Quote:I see the defense differently than some, I expect it should be pretty close to 100% right out of the gate in game one. Gus is supposed to be a defensive Guru (lol) and aside from Ramsey and Jack the defense should be set up with a lot of veteran talent that can be brought up to speed quickly to play any scheme, and I personally expect Ramsey and Jack to play pretty well right from the start just thanks to overpowering talent.

No, if the Jaguars defense isn't at least as good as an average defense in the league right out of the gate it'll mean problems, because it's not that likely that Gus will be able to find time to teach a buy of guys the system more than he'll be able to do so with all of the open practice time he's having now through the end of August.

The defense should be close to 100%, health wise? Or do you mean performance? If you do, what specifically would point to them being close to 100%. Also you go on to say that Gus Bradley is a guru but the "lol" makes it seem tongue in cheek.

The expectation is to have the defense ready by August, but you've shown a lack of confidence. Not saying you do, but from the way it's worded they are set up to fail by you unless miracle.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It's going to be a tough go this year. Especially the first month of football for this defense. Barring any key injuries to these signal callers.

1. Aaron Rodgers - Superbowl Caliber QB / MVP Caliber QB at home in an opener 

2. Philip Rivers - MVP Caliber QB - Has a history of schooling us on the road 

3. Joe Flacco - Superbowl Caliber QB at home

4. Andrew Luck - Prior to his injuries in 2015 - One of the best and most respected QB's in the NFL and this is across the pond

5. BYE WEEK

6. Jay Cutler - Turnover prone on the road - Hope to honestly see some flashes right here after the bye week

7. Derek Carr - Ascending young QB - Same class as Bortles - Could go either way here at home 

8. Marcus Mariota - Another ascending young QB who has already had a decent showing against this team - I think we get him

9. Alex Smith - Another savy veteran with a respectable track record on the road here 

10. Brock Osweiler - I don't know what to expect out of him, by week 10 we'll have a good feeling at home

11. Matthew Stafford - Interesting to see how he fairs this year without Johnson Jr. - His been turnover prone in the past on road

12. Tyrod Taylor - This is interesting, could be anybody at QB by week 12 in Buffalo - could be tough on the road regardless

13. Paxton Lynch - Again, this is interesting, could be anybody at week 13 with Denver at home

14. Teddy Bridgewater - He's a safe QB - By Week 14 his game could be different than what we've seen here at home

15. Brock Osweiler - Again, not sure yet this time on the road

16. Marcus Mariota - Again, this time at home

17. Andrew Luck - We play them basically twice this year away from our true home - Could be swept by a healthy Luck clots team

Looking through the above QBs. Without training camp, pre-season play, etc. I see our defense breaking down in these kinds of groups. 

QB's who will give this defense trouble for certain:

Aaron Rodgers

Philip Rivers 

Andrew Luck x2

Joe Flacco

Alex Smith 

QB's who could have a good game or a really bad game for certain:

Jay Cutler

Matthew Stafford 

Derek Carr

Teddy Bridgewater

Brock Osweiler x2 

QB's who could struggle for certain and should struggle:

Marucs Mariota x2

Denver's QB

Buffalo's QB

This year's schedule offers a WIDE spectrum for our young defense to prove itself. You're getting five quarterbacks with proven play-off records, statistics and game breaking abilities. You're getting another batch of young quarterbacks with limited experience but big play ability like Mariota, Bridgewater and Carr. And then you're getting guys like Cutler and Stafford who can be really, really good or really, really bad based on their history. And then you're getting relatively unknown situations with Denver and Buffalo. So it's a healthy up and down test this year for a young defense. 
So you're saying 10 wins is possible?

Andrew Luck does not scare me this year at all. There's rumors his shoulder will never be the same, he missed a ton of time, and our first game against them is early in the season in London. We should have a real advantage there.

And with his tendency for errant throws and adding Gipson and Ramsey, I expect a few turnovers.

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

If we can manage a 2-2 start, I think we are playoff bound.

The plays that a more talented defense will make-the turnovers, sacks, pass breakups, etc.- will more than make up for whatever blown assignments and mistakes adjusting to the new scheme will bring.  Also keep in mind, the offense will be in their second year in Olson's system, and their play should improve as well. 

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The plays that a more talented defense will make-the turnovers, sacks, pass breakups, etc.- will more than make up for whatever blown assignments and mistakes adjusting to the new scheme will bring. Also keep in mind, the offense will be in their second year in Olson's system, and their play should improve as well.

This is true. We have some guys who are gifted enough physically to offset some early mental errors.

As for the offense, I agree. I think we'll see a much more efficient offense. We were pretty explosive last year but some times we were a bit stagnant. I believe you'll see a much smoother offensive ride.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:The plays that a more talented defense will make-the turnovers, sacks, pass breakups, etc.- will more than make up for whatever blown assignments and mistakes adjusting to the new scheme will bring.  Also keep in mind, the offense will be in their second year in Olson's system, and their play should improve as well.

In addition, we have some veterans that should be much more acclimated to the system this year (House, Odrick), and some hopefully still ascending younger players (Colvin and T.Smith).

There might be some glitches with our D this year early on but we have good vets in the right places now that should be able to correct problems much faster
A good loser is a good loser