Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The LOTTO position?

Per O-man...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">One personnel change? The implementation of the “Lotto,” which is perhaps best described as the team’s old “Otto” position with an increased emphasis on the pass-rushing duties typically performed by the team’s “Leo” pass rushers.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

The thing is, this is precisely how they initially explained the OTTO position, so I don't see what the difference is. I know that last year they said Skuta was starting at OTTO and yet he rarely, if ever, rushed the passer. So are they saying that since their OTTO is really nothing more than a 4-3 SAM that now they need to add an "L" to make the position what it is in Seattle?

As far as the players being looked at in this role, they've mentioned Skuta and Ryan Davis, and I'm thinking Tyrone Holmes unless they're moving him to LEO more permanently. Yannick might get a look at LOTTO, but I feel they want him concentrating on LEO.

Jack I have no idea what his role will be, and if they intend for him to be the starting LOTTO, OTTO, MLB or what? Even before the draft I mentioned how he's not really a scheme fit, and I still feel like they're going to have to adjust everything to suit him.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

On Jaguars Today, Gus said Holmes will be playing the LEO and Skuta and Davis are getting the most reps at OTTO.

The difference from last year is that the OTTO was asked to be more of an edge setter. This year they are asking for more pass rushing duties. The right side of the defensive line is going to create enormous pressure with the additions of Fowler and Jackson with the "LOTTO" providing that wildcard "will he or won't he" rush.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:The difference from last year is that the OTTO was asked to be more of an edge setter. This year they are asking for more pass rushing duties. The right side of the defensive line is going to create enormous pressure with the additions of Fowler and Jackson with the "LOTTO" providing that wildcard "will he or won't he" rush.

Yeah, but that's how the OTTO was originally pitched to us. I see the difference from last year, but I don't see any difference from what the OTTO was always intended to be. There was no reason to change the name as far as I can tell. I realized Telvin is light for the strongside, but he's primarily rushing the passer.

'02

Okay, I get Davis and Skuta at OTTO/SAM. Telvin at Will. Then what about Poz and Jack?

Same question as Jags 02 on Jack's role. The DL seems to be sorting out for LEO unless Werner becomes a keeper.

Is this becoming an embarrassment of riches?

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 07:40 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Yeah, but that's how the OTTO was originally pitched to us. I see the difference from last year, but I don't see any difference from what the OTTO was always intended to be. There was no reason to change the name as far as I can tell. I realized Telvin is light for the strongside, but he's primarily rushing the passer.
The name isn't important. It was brought up by Caldwell as a play on words when talking to the media. The reason it was nothing more than a glorified SAM backer position had more to do with personnel limitations than it has to do with scheme. They all but scrapped the OTTO. Our defense was flat out vanilla last year due to lack of players to run what Gus wanted to run. They plan on adding more exotic elements this year assuming we can generate a pass rush with our front 4.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Oesher makes it sound like they're creating a separate position, as in a LOTTO alongside the OTTO, which really should reat an OTTO alongside a SAM. Thinking aloud here, perhaps Skuta and Davis are heading up this LOTTO role with Jack taking over a part-time starting role as the "OTTO," as in really a SAM. A potential issue here if they are doing this is that it takes an element of surprised away from the defense because you kind of know that if Jack isn't in there, we're probably blitzing strongside.

'02

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 08:35 PM by JackCity.)

I'm pretty sure all it means is the OTTO will pass rush more then he did last year. Which is pretty natural to happen considering the upgrades in secondary/dline.

Also I think Jack has all the tools needed to be effective occasionally rushing from OTTO.

Can we just move Jack to SS over Cyp? I don't see any reason why Jack wouldn't do just fine at SS, and he'd automatically be a tremendous upgrade over Cyp. He's also a second round pick, so you cant say we're wasting draft talent at SS.

'02

Quote:Can we just move Jack to SS over Cyp? I don't see any reason why Jack wouldn't do just fine at SS, and he'd automatically be a tremendous upgrade over Cyp. He's also a second round pick, so you cant say we're wasting draft talent at SS.

I think he can be a great strong safety. Trouble is he can be a great linebacker too. Rather a great linebacker than a great strong safety.

Quote:Oesher makes it sound like they're creating a separate position, as in a LOTTO alongside the OTTO, which really should reat an OTTO alongside a SAM. Thinking aloud here, perhaps Skuta and Davis are heading up this LOTTO role with Jack taking over a part-time starting role as the "OTTO," as in really a SAM. A potential issue here if they are doing this is that it takes an element of surprised away from the defense because you kind of know that if Jack isn't in there, we're probably blitzing strongside.

It's not a new position. Your own quote says as much:

Quote:One personnel change? The implementation of the “Lotto,” which is perhaps best described as the team’s old “Otto” position with an increased emphasis on the pass-rushing duties typically performed by the team’s “Leo” pass rushers.

I wouldn't say it takes away an element of surprise. It only adds to it. The position is a wildcard where on one play he could be blitzing but on the next he could be dropped back in coverage. Ryan Davis had an interception in the last OTA which tells me there is an element of surprise. That will only increase when you add someone like Jack to the mix.

Quote:Can we just move Jack to SS over Cyp? I don't see any reason why Jack wouldn't do just fine at SS, and he'd automatically be a tremendous upgrade over Cyp. He's also a second round pick, so you cant say we're wasting draft talent at SS.

I'd rather a LB with tremendous range with the ability to provide impact on all levels than a SS that is limited to the box as it is in our revamped scheme.

This isn't Madden. I still think the long term plan with Jack is to have him replace Poz.

The LOTTO to me, as described, sounds exactly as the OTTO was described when we had just a SAM.  I think the position is just the same OTTO role with a renewed emphasis on some of the stronger pass rushing attributes the OTTO was supposed to encompass when first introduced.

To have Jack playing a LB role with his speed and coverage abilities can be a significant upgrade, and plugs a serious weakness in the defense that opposing offenses (and TEs) have exploited.  I think Cyprien/Sample can handle the SS role and give Jack the ability to become the versatile weapon that he can become behind the front line.      

I like playing lotto on wed and sat

Ya see ya got your Otto which ya put in the Lotto to make a Motto about Pottato.

Jack is our Defensive Weapon.
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 11:45 PM by realtorpat.)

Think of it as running a 5 man front with 2 linebackers..  Jack and Smith have the speed to cover the ground Skuta/Poz/Smith were covering last year.  Meaning the Lotta.. or Sam LB will be primarily a blitzer.  As much as they say this defense is based in the Cover 3 its more of a Cover 1 with the SS acting as an extra LBer and the 3rd LBer acting as an extra end/ pass rusher.

So basically we will be running a 4/3 regular with Jack/Poz]/Smith and a passrush oriented 5/2 with Jack/Smith ... 3rd Lber acting as a DE

With all that said the 5/2 with the lotta or 4/3 under with the lotta position will maybe be played 1/4 of the time if not less.  as the 4-3 base or nickel will be the primary defenses.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:I'd rather a LB with tremendous range with the ability to provide impact on all levels than a SS that is limited to the box as it is in our revamped scheme.
Agreed

Jack is a LB, albeit a versatile one

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2016, 02:04 AM by Tuxedo.)

It seemed the OTTO was supposed to be a fairly traditional SAM LB with some additional ability to rush the passer, while the LOTTO is moving the position even closer to a standard 3-4 style OLB.

Our personnel is really starting to mirror a 3-4 defense, just in a 4-3 alignment.

ILB----ILB----OLB

OLB----NT----DE----DE