Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The LOTTO position?

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2016, 02:28 AM by JackCity.)

Quote:It seemed the OTTO was supposed to be a fairly traditional SAM LB with some additional ability to rush the passer, while the LOTTO is moving the position even closer to a standard 3-4 style OLB.

Our personnel is really starting to mirror a 3-4 defense, just in a 4-3 alignment.

ILB----ILB----OLB

OLB----NT----DE----DE
Wouldn't even go into that much depth. My understanding of it is everything stays the same expect on obvious passing downs the OTTO will be given more opportunity to rush the QB via delayed blitz's,stunts etc etc.

This is probably part of the reason Ryan Davis will be learning the OTTO. In certain packages he can be used as anextra pass rusher to stunt in space and rush down the middle occasionally.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Per O-man...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">One personnel change? The implementation of the “Lotto,” which is perhaps best described as the team’s old “Otto” position with an increased emphasis on the pass-rushing duties typically performed by the team’s “Leo” pass rushers.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

The thing is, this is precisely how they initially explained the OTTO position, so I don't see what the difference is. I know that last year they said Skuta was starting at OTTO and yet he rarely, if ever, rushed the passer. So are they saying that since their OTTO is really nothing more than a 4-3 SAM that now they need to add an "L" to make the position what it is in Seattle?

As far as the players being looked at in this role, they've mentioned Skuta and Ryan Davis, and I'm thinking Tyrone Holmes unless they're moving him to LEO more permanently. Yannick might get a look at LOTTO, but I feel they want him concentrating on LEO.

Jack I have no idea what his role will be, and if they intend for him to be the starting LOTTO, OTTO, MLB or what? Even before the draft I mentioned how he's not really a scheme fit, and I still feel like they're going to have to adjust everything to suit him.

You can call a guy anything, but how he responds to it is what really matters (on the field).  I have a growing suspicion that they intend on having Myles Jack play MIKE not sure if Poz will be there this year or not.. seems crazy to me that he wouldn't as I thought he played well last season & still has the ability to play this year at a high level.  Why not let the rookie play OLB.  If Jack doesn't start at MLB I think the intention is to phase Poz out after this season.

Quote:You can call a guy anything, but how he responds to it is what really matters (on the field).  I have a growing suspicion that they intend on having Myles Jack play MIKE not sure if Poz will be there this year or not.. seems crazy to me that he wouldn't as I thought he played well last season & still has the ability to play this year at a high level.  Why not let the rookie play OLB.  If Jack doesn't start at MLB I think the intention is to phase Poz out after this season.

Thinking outside the box, they're close enough to a 3-4 that they might as well go all the way...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">     LDT Malik Jackson              NT Roy Miller          RDE Dante Fowler

<p style="margin-left:40px;">LOLB Yannick Ngakoue   LILB Jack Myles    RILB Poz     ROLB Telvin Smith

However you do it, Myles and Poz would be an elite ILB duo in a 3-4.

'02

Quote:Thinking outside the box, they're close enough to a 3-4 that they might as well go all the way...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">     LDT Malik Jackson              NT Roy Miller          RDE Dante Fowler

<p style="margin-left:40px;">LOLB Yannick Ngakoue   LILB Jack Myles    RILB Poz     ROLB Telvin Smith

However you do it, Myles and Poz would be an elite ILB duo in a 3-4.

Fowler is wasted as a RDE in a 3-4 you would want him at one of the OLBs.  

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:Fowler is wasted as a RDE in a 3-4 you would want him at one of the OLBs.  

Good point.... maybe have him replace Yannick and then put Sen'Derrick in as the 3-4 right end.

'02

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2016, 12:52 PM by realtorpat.)

Quote:Good point.... maybe have him replace Yannick and then put Sen'Derrick in as the 3-4 right end.

With all our DLine depth and lack of Lber depth I would say our defense is closer to a 5-2 than either a 3-4 or 4-3  but when we go to Nickel its out of a 4-3 look.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

If 3-4,

Odrick is the LE

Malik is the RE

Fowler is the Rolb

Telvin is the Rilb

Poz/Jack is the Lilb
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Regarding whether the team is essentially a 3-4 now, one of the things I'm guessing they want to keep from the 4-3 is the role of pass rushing DT. Marks, Bennett, and now Day fit that role, and I'm not sure any of them would be effective as a 3-4 DE, which is the only other position I could legitimately see them playing in a true 3-4.

Quote:Regarding whether the team is essentially a 3-4 now, one of the things I'm guessing they want to keep from the 4-3 is the role of pass rushing DT. Marks, Bennett, and now Day fit that role, and I'm not sure any of them would be effective as a 3-4 DE, which is the only other position I could legitimately see them playing in a true 3-4.

The scheme isn't changing its just a bit more variety on sub packages and on obvious passing downs. Which is natural given the influx of speed/talent on the D.