Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Much Tax did you pay?

This isn't about numbers and I don't want to know about people's incomes.

The question often comes up, and people will respond with "I didn't have to pay, I got a refund" or "I had to pay X number of dollars".

The whole goal of this thread is to make people aware of exactly how much of the money that they earned goes to government, be it city, state or federal.

I challenge people to look at their tax forms and calculate exactly how much the government takes from their earnings.  That includes not only income tax, but also SS tax, medicare tax, local taxes, etc.  While you're at it, think about how much SALES tax you pay.

Add the number up and compare it with your NET income.

If people really did the math and were honest with themselves they would be shocked.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

More than I would have if Rand Paul were running the show and we had a consumption-based tax system.

Roughly 15%.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

30% give or take. Mostly take.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017, 08:02 PM by rollerjag.)

0%, one of the perks of 100% disability.

I do not recommend the method I used to avoid taxes.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

A larger percentage than The Donald, and an even larger percent than Bernie.  Maybe it is my white privilege?

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2017, 08:22 PM by EricC85.)

18% and I'm not wealthy by any means
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Ironically my tax rate was very low this year, 4 or 5%. Didn't qualify for EIC, but getting to write off a cross country move probably did more for me than that would have. Usually I am in the 20% range.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:0%, one of the perks of 100% disability.

I do not recommend the method I used to avoid taxes.

You didn't understand the question.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2017, 10:14 AM by Kane.)

Impossible to calculate the sales tax.

However sales tax is voted on state by state. Can't really hate on it as much as I do the income tax.

Which... ugh.. is a rabbit hole to go down.

http://rense.com/general69/lfc.htm

I pay roughly 20%... I get little to no "tax return".

And I know people who pay 10% and get all of their money plus some.

In what world does is make sense to pay people a tax return more than they paid out?

Why collect from these people at all? And why give them more than they gave?

Because they had kids?

OK... So.. you work... we tax your income... 

But if you work less and have lots of kids... we'll give you (someone else's) money.

(edit) also good reading

http://givemeliberty.org/features/taxes/...income.htm

I paid all of my taxes.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:This isn't about numbers and I don't want to know about people's incomes.

The question often comes up, and people will respond with "I didn't have to pay, I got a refund" or "I had to pay X number of dollars".

The whole goal of this thread is to make people aware of exactly how much of the money that they earned goes to government, be it city, state or federal.

I challenge people to look at their tax forms and calculate exactly how much the government takes from their earnings.  That includes not only income tax, but also SS tax, medicare tax, local taxes, etc.  While you're at it, think about how much SALES tax you pay.

Add the number up and compare it with your NET income.

If people really did the math and were honest with themselves they would be shocked.
So the point of the thread is to make people feel bad with how much the government takes out? lol

I'll release my tax info when they're done auditing.
Blakes Life Matters

I don't think the Tax % should be based on your W2 but rather it should be your AGI after itemizing deductions.

Quote:I'll release my tax info when they're done auditing.

Classic !!  :thumbsup:

Quote:So the point of the thread is to make people feel bad with how much the government takes out? lol
It is to enlighten people to how much is stolen and misused by the government.

Many people just sheep along about the income tax.

More people should raise questions...

Why do I pay INCOME tax on my WAGES?

Somewhere along the way... "they" decided it was all the same... but it really isn't. The company I work for has income. I earn wages.

Taxing wages makes almost no sense.

Penalizing people for working. Thanks 'Murica!

Quote:You didn't understand the question.

I understood the question. You didn't understand my answer.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:It is to enlighten people to how much is stolen and misused by the government.

Somewhere along the way... "they" decided it was all the same... but it really isn't. The company I work for has income. I earn wages.

So once someone has been "enlightened", what should they do? 

Quote:It is to enlighten people to how much is stolen and misused by the government.

Wages are earnings.  Earned by the individual.

Not earned by the government.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Wages are earnings.  Earned by the individual.

Not earned by the government.

Taxes are the cost of civilization. I don't like paying them as much as the next person, but I do like having roads, infrastructure, emergency services, a strong military and many other beneficial things. I only ask that tax money is used efficiently. Go live in a third world country some time and I bet you'll change your tune.