Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Much Tax did you pay?

Counting the social security that i pay into but will be gone by the time I am 65, and the Medicare which will probably be gone too...

36%

Oh yeah, property taxes... 

just take it, take it, take your pound of flesh and be gone!

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Counting the social security that i pay into but will be gone by the time I am 65, and the Medicare which will probably be gone too...

36%

Oh yeah, property taxes... 

just take it, take it, take your pound of flesh and be gone!

This is a bit more realistic for the average person.  Take into account taxes for other things besides income, and the number is even higher.

As an example, when people put fuel into their cars they look at the price and think "greedy oil companies" without thinking about how much of that price is tax.  The same goes for your electric bill, your gas/water/sewage/garbage/etc. bill.

Want to travel a bit?  Take a close look at your airline and/or cruise ship bill.  How about the hotel bill?  Heck, for that matter take a look at your ticket to a Jaguars game.  EVERYTHING is taxed.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Cell phone bill too, you need to be a lawyer to even understand what half those taxes even mean. Lucky for us we don't have the state income tax too. 

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Just drove down my tax funded road now on my tax funded train. If only the private sector had monopolies on my journey! I'd be paying so much more...wouldn't that be great.

Quote:Just drove down my tax funded road now on my tax funded train. If only the private sector had monopolies on my journey! I'd be paying so much more...wouldn't that be great.

You drove down the road on a train?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2017, 06:19 PM by Samjag904.)

Quote:Just drove down my tax funded road now on my tax funded train. If only the private sector had monopolies on my journey! I'd be paying so much more...wouldn't that be great.
There's that false choice again. If you are against giving the government a blank check to study shrimp on treadmills, you don't want roads. 

You don't need to rob everyone blind to build some roads. As for passenger trains, it loses money, there aren't enough people who want to take a train to make it worthwhile so the government forces everyone else to pay for the few who do ride the trains. 

We are not Anarchists, we just want the government to do what it is supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less. 

My butler does my tax returns so I haven't the foggiest

Quote:There's that false choice again. If you are against giving the government a blank check to study shrimp on treadmills, you don't want roads.

You don't need to rob everyone blind to build some roads. As for passenger trains, it loses money, there aren't enough people who want to take a train to make it worthwhile so the government forces everyone else to pay for the few who do ride the trains.

We are not Anarchists, we just want the government to do what it is supposed to do, nothing more, nothing less.
You obviously get different trains to me.

You elect government to represent you. If you don't like how they spend the money vote in someone else. That's democracy

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2017, 10:15 PM by Samjag904.)

Quote:You obviously get different trains to me.

You elect government to represent you. If you don't like how they spend the money vote in someone else. That's democracy
They don't get spend the money however they want and this isn't a democracy. They are restrained by the Constitution and should stay within the enumerated powers. Amtrack loses money every year and it is subsidized by the taxpayer. Is there some other train line that is profitable on its own?

Quote:You obviously get different trains to me.

Two party system is just an oligarchy

Quote:So once someone has been "enlightened", what should they do? 
Well... if you're OK with being screwed by the government sworn to serve you....

then do nothing. Like everyone has been. 

If you'd rather be a sheep be a sheep.

If there were to be a true revolution. I'd join in and die for something worth a flip. It's the only way we'll get the country back.

However... most people are quite comfortable going about their days. Cuz hey, it could be worse right?

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2017, 10:11 AM by Kane.)

Quote:Taxes are the cost of civilization. I don't like paying them as much as the next person, but I do like having roads, infrastructure, emergency services, a strong military and many other beneficial things. I only ask that tax money is used efficiently. Go live in a third world country some time and I bet you'll change your tune. 
Hahaha... I don't know where you live but the roads and infrastructure across the country are awful. The military spending is through the roof and honestly I don't feel any more free or safe than I did 10 years or 20 years ago....

If anything I feel less safe and feel as if the government has allowed the hatred for our people to grow and spread by forcing their way into people's lives through forced democracy and nation building.

Many people would also argue that emergency services don't quite cut it, especially in places where federal funding doesn't quite reach as fairly.

Taxes I'm OK with. The kind that we all get a vote and a say so in.

Taxing an individual just for the mere act of working DETERS working. 

It's an asinine ponzi scheme. Work, pay taxes. Earn more, pay more. BUT if you're really rich, we're gonna hook you up with loop holes. And if you don't work, we'll give you stuff for free and make the rich pay for it. But when the dollars and cents don't even out, we'll just print more money and drive up our debt. Which in turn creates more NEED for more government, since everyone is afraid it'll all shut down and they'll lose all their free stuff or invisible money.

Anywho.....

I have no problem with a 7.5 cent sales tax. Why? Cuz it was voted on by the people.

I have no problem if Florida votes on and decides to carry a state tax, to fund the government.

I'm not OK with the income tax and tax code as it stands, and you shouldn't either. Unless you're one of the freeloaders or fat cats.

Everyone in the middle is screwed. My buddy paid out like 2800 in taxes. But since he has kids and a wife who sits on her [BAD WORD REMOVED] all day, he got 10k back.

In what world does that make sense?

Also... before 1913 how did the government fund itself?

20-21%. On average most citizens essentially work 3 months a year for free when you factor in the taxes that come out. Sure, some if it should go towards your retirement fund or funds which may or may not be there for you in 10, 20, 30 or 40 years. But it comes out nonetheless. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Federal state and local outlays account for roughly 45% of GDP. So when we add up all the property taxes sales tax embedded tax and all the rest of it on the low end 25 to 30 percent of what the average working stiff earns go to government and for those who do really well 50 and in some cases 60%. That's why I want to vomit every time I hear about Bernie Sanders and us not paying our fair share.

Quote:Federal state and local outlays account for roughly 45% of GDP. So when we add up all the property taxes sales tax embedded tax and all the rest of it on the low end 25 to 30 percent of what the average working stiff earns go to government and for those who do really well 50 and in some cases 60%. That's why I want to vomit every time I hear about Bernie Sanders and us not paying our fair share.

You're getting pretty close with your assessment.

Any accountants here?

I could seriously use some advice as I recently became self employed.