Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myles Jack...no need for surgery?

Thoughts?  Personally, I'm excited that we landed Jack either way.  This however would be even greater news if this is in fact true.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/4/29/115405...ft-surgery

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

How do you guys feel about the knee? I’m hearing so many different reports. Hopefully he will have a great career.

Quote:How do you guys feel about the knee? I’m hearing so many different reports. Hopefully he will have a great career.

My sense reading the reports is that no one really knows.  Apparently there is something wrong with the knee that goes beyond the injury he suffered.  Whether or not that effects his career long term seems very up in the air.  Hopefully it is a red herring and Jack has a long, productive career in the NFL.  Smile

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:How do you guys feel about the knee? I’m hearing so many different reports. Hopefully he will have a great career.

From what I understand, he doesn't need surgery immediately. But he might need surgery in a few years.

Quote:From what I understand, he doesn't need surgery immediately. But he might need surgery in a few years.
What player HASN'T had surgery of some kind after a few years?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2016, 08:34 PM by rpr52121.)

Okay, so let's talk about this.

So chondral defects are a very common thing that happens from actual injuries and from regular degenerative disease. For example, they are very common in young active kids who play sports, but since kids are still growing, they can physiologically fix the defect. We lose that ability once we become adults. 

Chondral defects are only issues because they are known to increase risk and rate of osteoarthritic changes of the joint. However, that rate and risk is still very dependant on the person. Some people can have a chondral defect that worsens extremely slowly and some can have one that does not. Some people develop osteoarthritic changes at different rates.  (Also just to clarify. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid are NOT the same thing. Osteoarthritis is something that every person who is active or becomes old will experience. Rheumatoid is totally different.)

The only issue with osteoarthritis is that it can cause pain, decreased flexibility, and limited mobility of the joint. Notice I said CAN.  Of course, the severity of changes does normally correlate with the symptoms but not always. You have a person with a joint that looks severe changes on a X-Ray, MRI, arthroscope, with minimal no pain or issues. You can have patient with what looks like mild to moderate changes with significant pain and issues. 

The symptoms is the most significant factor with professional athletes. They have to implicitly trust their body. If their pain tolerance/mobility is such that they don't really notice the issue, they can still perform.

The option for microfracture surgery for an pro athlete is based on symptoms. If it gives him no issues, then he can wait as long as he wants to have the surgery. He may never need it. If he is not the same player, then he will need it sooner to try to continue his career. Microfracture surgery success depends on the size of the defect and where they can get cartilage to replace the missing part. Those details are private though. Younger pro athletes tend to heal quicker/better. 

One thing though, is that if you have want factor is that if Jack has a very low level of pain because of the knee right now, then a second injury could really knock him out of the line up. To prevent that, his conditioning and strength training need to be top notch. 

A couple of things specific to Myles Jack:

1. He tore his lateral meniscus. In the knee joint, the most stress/weight bearing from regular running and jumping is put on the medial meniscus. The lateral meniscus is more important for changing direction and lateral movement. So that should limit the amount of "wear and tear" near the current chondral defect/injury.  

2. Given that though, I'm sure most teams would have wanted to see him play, do the combine, or pro day after the injury. Since he did not do it, some teams may have took that as him not being healthy. It could have just been a game by his agent too, that he was still projected as a top #10 pick, so why take the chance of a pro day hurting his stock. He probably didn't foresee Jack saying the microfracture statement.

3. After the injury, Jack dropped out of school for a number of months to take on professional level rehab and training. He also skipped the combine and pro day. If that was done correctly, he could actually be closer to NFL level conditioning needs and more well rested than a normal rookie who has no breaks.

Dave said they had to narrow the talent gap and you don't do that without taking risks. wins are expected this year. Time to take some risks. I'm hoping for the best. But who knows what's up with the knee.

Dr. James Andrews, who examined Myles Jack in December, told the UCLA LB today that he does not need micro-fracture surgery.

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Quote:What player HASN'T had surgery of some kind after a few years?

Haha spot on.

Quote:Okay, so let's talk about this.

So chondral defects are a very common thing that happens from actual injuries and from regular degenerative disease. For example, they are very common in young active kids who play sports, but since kids are still growing, they can physiologically fix the defect. We lose that ability once we become adults.

Chondral defects are only issues because they are known to increase risk and rate of osteoarthritic changes of the joint. However, that rate and risk is still very dependant on the person. Some people can have a chondral defect that worsens extremely slowly and some can have one that does not. Some people develop osteoarthritic changes at different rates. (Also just to clarify. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid are NOT the same thing. Osteoarthritis is something that every person who is active or becomes old will experience. Rheumatoid is totally different.)

The only issue with osteoarthritis is that it can cause pain, decreased flexibility, and limited mobility of the joint. Notice I said CAN. Of course, the severity of changes does normally correlate with the symptoms but not always. You have a person with a joint that looks severe changes on a X-Ray, MRI, arthroscope, with minimal no pain or issues. You can have patient with what looks like mild to moderate changes with significant pain and issues.

The symptoms is the most significant factor with professional athletes. They have to implicitly trust their body. If their pain tolerance/mobility is such that they don't really notice the issue, they can still perform.

The option for microfracture surgery for an pro athlete is based on symptoms. If it gives him no issues, then he can wait as long as he wants to have the surgery. He may never need it. If he is not the same player, then he will need it sooner to try to continue his career. Microfracture surgery success depends on the size of the defect and where they can get cartilage to replace the missing part. Those details are private though. Younger pro athletes tend to heal quicker/better.

One thing though, is that if you have want factor is that if Jack has a very low level of pain because of the knee right now, then a second injury could really knock him out of the line up. To prevent that, his conditioning and strength training need to be top notch.

1. He tore his lateral meniscus. In the knee joint, the most stress/weight bearing from regular running and jumping is put on the medial meniscus. The lateral meniscus is more important for changing direction and lateral movement. So that should limit the amount of "wear and tear" near the current chondral defect/injury.

2. Given that though, I'm sure most teams would have wanted to see him play, do the combine, or pro day after the injury. Since he did not do it, some teams may have took that as him not being healthy. It could have just been a game by his agent too, that he was still projected as a top #10 pick, so why take the chance of a pro day hurting his stock. He probably didn't foresee Jack saying the microfracture statement.

3. After the injury, Jack dropped out of school for a number of months to take on professional level rehab and training. He also skipped the combine and pro day. If that was done correctly, he could actually be closer to NFL level conditioning needs and more well rested than a normal rookie who has no breaks.

Uh is it good or bad news? Your obviously smarter than me since I could read your post and understand it so keep it short good or bad?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:What player HASN'T had surgery of some kind after a few years?

That's a reasonable point.

Quote:Uh is it good or bad news? Your obviously smarter than me since I could read your post and understand it so keep it short good or bad?

Given Caldwell is known for very intensive workouts that simulate gameplay, he would not have drafted him if he didn't think he could play this fall. Honestly, until he starts playing on it in camp, we may not really know for the short term. Long term is totally a wait and see thing.

Sorry, can't be more specific than that. And that is likely why teams were so skittish.

Quote:Thoughts?  Personally, I'm excited that we landed Jack either way.  This however would be even greater news if this is in fact true.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/4/29/115405...ft-surgery
WoW!

Myles Jack is going to be a Jaguars on week 1 that is all that matters now.

Chondral defects are only issues because they are known to increase risk and rate of osteoarthritic changes of the joint. However, that rate and risk is still very dependant on the person. Some people can have a chondral defect that worsens extremely slowly and some can have one that does not. Some people develop osteoarthritic changes at different rates.  (Also just to clarify. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid are NOT the same thing. Osteoarthritis is something that every person who is active or becomes old will experience. Rheumatoid is totally different.)

The only issue with osteoarthritis is that it can cause pain, decreased flexibility, and limited mobility of the joint. Notice I said CAN.  Of course, the severity of changes does normally correlate with the symptoms but not always. You have a person with a joint that looks severe changes on a X-Ray, MRI, arthroscope, with minimal no pain or issues. You can have patient with what looks like mild to moderate changes with significant pain and issues. 

Thank you for this post!

Myles Jack & Jalen Ramsey = championship!

Poor guy shouldn't have played running back in college. Praying for the dude. If he comes back healthy, he is going to play with the vengeance. 

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Dr. Lucie, is that you?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I've been living with his exact injury.  I wish him the best.  Hurt mine playing sports in high school... and the meniscus finally gave way while skiing.  Obviously did not play professional sports but was able to be very active for another 10 years consistently playing basketball, flag football, etc..... 10 years after my initial injury the cartilage started to wear off.  Little chunks would would pop off and float around my knee.  Was pretty gnarly, I could see the cartilage poking out of the side of my knee and I could literally grab it with my fingers and move it around under the skin.  Luckily for me, my knee is only bone on bone on the under side so the only real pain is when my knee is bent.  Makes normal day life much better this way.  Running is out of the question but can walk and ride my knee with minimal pain.  Hopefully he'll luck out later in life as well and will be able to live fairly normally.

Quote:Dr. Lucie, is that you?

Who is Dr. Lucie?

Quote:Who is Dr. Lucie?
You.