Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who would who rather have at 5?
Myles Jack LB/S
Jalen Ramsey CB/S
No opinion/Corn/Who Cares
[Show Results]

Ramsey or Jack

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2016, 10:31 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

I know the consensus around the league is that Ramsey will probably be gone by the time we pick; but in this scenario i want to ask a couple questions about both Ramsey and Jack.  I have voiced negative opinions on Ramsey but with that on the back burner, for now, i want to discuss the opinion based on film i've seen on both. 

Ramsey, in most of his footage, is shown as an "in the box" type of safety when he is standing right over TEs and Ts at the line and coming off the edge on blitz packages.  He is also shown using his size and athleticism jamming receivers early and making it difficult for QBs to get the ball out quickly which is a must have in this league and it also helps cut down on big plays downfield early as well.   The only knock on him that i have though is his ball skills after five yards; and his lack of being able to show any improvement in pre draft drills, because of the format that they are set up in, is concerning.

With that being said, Jack is a hybrid LB/S and his role would be to cover TEs and also stop the runs on the edge occasionally blitzing.  He doesn't have as much of a concern when it comes to ball skills and i haven't seen anything jump out at me to make me think that it would be a huge or even big problem as he turns pro.  With the need for a guy to cover the TEs and the need for an outside OTTO/3rd down MLB who can stop the run, blitz, and cover the pass on 3rd down an obvious passing plays, Jack is more solid.

I feel that even though i have knocked Ramsey, he would definitely fit what we need on this D; though what concerns me is the Tashaun signing, and the ceiling for Jack at the 2nd biggest need in the front 7...LB.   In this scenario i would go Jack 10 times out of 10 just because he would be asked to do the same as Ramsey as far as covering TEs and the short routes as well as blitzing off the edge.  The only advantage in Ramsey's favor is his CB experience, and with his skillset he is better suited to play S than CB due to his ball skill concerns coming into the league.  With both of them playing in the box mostly in college, i just don't see us passing on Jack, a once in a decade LB, over a excellent press corner that would be moved to S due to his flaws needing tweaks when we already could have a hybrid S/LB all in one and get a press corner in the coming drafts or later rounds.  Lastly, since he would not be our number 1 CB and Jack would be our number 1 OTTO/3rd down MLB from day one i presume, it's an easy decision. 

I'm no English Major but opinions please.  This is only about pick 5 and these two are available with no trade down options.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Myles Jack, please.

Ramesy the next Deion Sanders or Jack the next faster version of Ray Lewis. It's a toss up. Trade up to #1 and draft either one Caldwell. Dooooo it. Dooooo it, noooooowwwwwww.

Jack. I think Ramsey is overrated.

Jack for me.  He's my #1 player for us.

*patiently waits for solid snake*

But yeah ill take Jack

Quote:I know the consensus around the league is that Ramsey will probably be gone by the time we pick; but in this scenario i want to ask a couple questions about both Ramsey and Jack.  I have voiced negative opinions on Ramsey but with that on the back burner, for now, i want to discuss the opinion based on film i've seen on both. 

Ramsey, in most of his footage, is shown as an "in the box" type of safety when he is standing right over TEs and Ts at the line and coming off the edge on blitz packages.  He is also shown using his size and athleticism jamming receivers early and making it difficult for QBs to get the ball out quickly which is a must have in this league and it also helps cut down on big plays downfield early as well.   The only knock on him that i have though is his ball skills after five yards; and his lack of being able to show any improvement in pre draft drills, because of the format that they are set up in, is concerning.

With that being said, Jack is a hybrid LB/S and his role would be to cover TEs and also stop the runs on the edge occasionally blitzing.  He doesn't have as much of a concern when it comes to ball skills and i haven't seen anything jump out at me to make me think that it would be a huge or even big problem as he turns pro.  With the need for a guy to cover the TEs and the need for an outside OTTO/3rd down MLB who can stop the run, blitz, and cover the pass on 3rd down an obvious passing plays, Jack is more solid.

I feel that even though i have knocked Ramsey, he would definitely fit what we need on this D; though what concerns me is the Tashaun signing, and the ceiling for Jack at the 2nd biggest need in the front 7...LB.   In this scenario i would go Jack 10 times out of 10 just because he would be asked to do the same as Ramsey as far as covering TEs and the short routes as well as blitzing off the edge.  The only advantage in Ramsey's favor is his CB experience, and with his skillset he is better suited to play S than CB due to his ball skill concerns coming into the league.  With both of them playing in the box mostly in college, i just don't see us passing on Jack, a once in a decade LB, over a excellent press corner that would be moved to S due to his flaws needing tweaks when we already could have a hybrid S/LB all in one and get a press corner in the coming drafts or later rounds.  Lastly, since he would not be our number 1 CB and Jack would be our number 1 OTTO/3rd down MLB from day one i presume, it's an easy decision. 

I'm no English Major but opinions please.  This is only about pick 5 and these two are available with no trade down options.

That about sums it up for me.  

I'd be happy with either one, though.  

Ramsey isn't close to Deion Sanders. Look at film of Jack, he stands out in his ability to make plays which Ramsey does not do...I will say Ramsey has all the prototypical size and measurable you'd ever want...my problem though "is he a football player at the next level?"

It doesn't matter. I will find a a way to convince myself whoever we pick will be the GOAT.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2016, 04:31 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

Quote:Ramsey isn't close to Deion Sanders. Look at film of Jack, he stands out in his ability to make plays which Ramsey does not do...I will say Ramsey has all the prototypical size and measurable you'd ever want...my problem though "is he a football player at the next level?"

I have my doubts about Ramsey, but it's never been whether he can "Football" at the next level so i disagree.  Ramsey made plays to me, he just didn't make enough TO type impact plays.

Quote:It doesn't matter. I will find a a way to convince myself whoever we pick will be the GOAT.

This made me lol.  I do this every year heck, i supported Sunshine until enough was enough; but SF liked em, so there's that.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Thing is with a CB, even if he's not getting a bunch of INTs, it doesn't mean he isn't doing his job.

Sometimes it means opposing QBs are avoiding him.

If Ramsey is shutting down the guy he's covering, such that QBs avoid him and it allows the defense to roll coverage away from him, I can live with a lack of INTs from him.

If his guy isn't catching the ball, he is still doing his job.

If it comes down to a choice between Ramsey and Jack, I think I might go with Ramsey for a couple of reasons.

1.  CB is a premium position.  MLB or SS is not.

2.  Ramsey doesn't have the serious injury.  Jack does.  While it seems Jack will be fine based upon everything I have heard and seen I'd be as risk averse as possible.

I think both are outstanding players and both would help the Jaguars tremendously, and on Thursday night, if Goodell announces either as the Jaguars first round pick, I'd be quite happy.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Not sure Ramsey is a DB though. If we are going best DB in the draft then IMO it's VH3.

But it all depends on the grades they have. If they are close to equal then you take the position of more importance obviously. If they aren't close just take the best player. Having a dominant MLB makes a defense pretty good.

Are you saying you aren't sure Ramsey is a Cornerback or you aren't sure Ramsey is a Defensive back?

If he isn't a defensive back, what do you think he is?

If he isn't a CB, is he a FS or SS?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Sorry a cornerback. I think he'd probably do better starting out at SS then transition to FS when he gets more experience

Quote:Thing is with a CB, even if he's not getting a bunch of INTs, it doesn't mean he isn't doing his job.

Sometimes it means opposing QBs are avoiding him.

If Ramsey is shutting down the guy he's covering, such that QBs avoid him and it allows the defense to roll coverage away from him, I can live with a lack of INTs from him.

If his guy isn't catching the ball, he is still doing his job.

If it comes down to a choice between Ramsey and Jack, I think I might go with Ramsey for a couple of reasons.

1.  CB is a premium position.  MLB or SS is not.

2.  Ramsey doesn't have the serious injury.  Jack does.  While it seems Jack will be fine based upon everything I have heard and seen I'd be as risk averse as possible.

I think both are outstanding players and both would help the Jaguars tremendously, and on Thursday night, if Goodell announces either as the Jaguars first round pick, I'd be quite happy.
Has Ramsey ever shut someone down?

Don't believe either will be available

Quote:Not sure Ramsey is a DB though. If we are going best DB in the draft then IMO it's VH3.

But it all depends on the grades they have. If they are close to equal then you take the position of more importance obviously. If they aren't close just take the best player. Having a dominant MLB makes a defense pretty good.

VHIII is so overrated on this board.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:VHIII is so overrated on this board.
Where does he rank for your CB prospects?

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2016, 10:42 PM by Markulous.)

Edit