Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bush vs Gore 2000 Election

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcz6NSyxrfQ

Considering that this vote all came down to Florida... is there anyone here who voted at the time who can attest to the confusing poll instructions that were reported? do you really think that Gore won Florida?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I had no trouble, but then again, I wasn't a Democrat voting with a Democrat designed ballot in Palm Beach county. Gore didnt have the votes and he knew it, that's why he fought a state wide recount and only wanted select heavily Dem counties to be reviewed. Katherine Harris was right to stand her ground and certify the results.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I had no trouble, but then again, I wasn't a Democrat voting with a Democrat designed ballot in Palm Beach county. Gore didnt have the votes and he knew it, that's why he fought a state wide recount and only wanted select heavily Dem counties to be reviewed. Katherine Harris was right to stand her ground and certify the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxr2PJ06Y4

Quote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxr2PJ06Y4

3 sentences was too much, hmm?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:3 sentences was too much, hmm?
You lost me at 

I always love when republicans freak out about "Activist Supreme Court Justices".  I always point to Gore V. Bush when that occurs.  

Quote:I always love when republicans freak out about "Activist Supreme Court Justices".  I always point to Gore V. Bush when that occurs.  

Uhhhh, the verdict was "Follow the law", the "[BLEEP]!" was left unstated. Hardly activism on the part of the court.

Quote:Uhhhh, the verdict was "Follow the law", the "[BAD WORD REMOVED]!" was left unstated. Hardly activism on the part of the court.

Dude, you're bias is killing me. Florida lawyers, on both sides of the law agree that Scalia and his group of flunkies (my words) practiced activism in that decision.

There are multiple articles that agree. You can look then up--- AT THE FLORIDA LAW REVIEW, for crying out loud.

Judicial activism happens all the time, the only difference is that republican politicians lie about it, or just ignore the reality of it because it suits their hogwash misinformation that some voters are willing to blindly follow without any effort to think objectively about it.

Quote:Dude, you're bias is killing me. Florida lawyers, on both sides of the law agree that Scalia and his group of flunkies (my words) practiced activism in that decision.

There are multiple articles that agree. You can look then up--- AT THE FLORIDA LAW REVIEW, for crying out loud.

Judicial activism happens all the time, the only difference is that republican politicians lie about it, or just ignore the reality of it because it suits their hogwash misinformation that some voters are willing to blindly follow without any effort to think objectively about it.

The activism was actually hearing the case. The USSC should've just refused it, the Gore camp had no case or precedent for what they wanted, the law was clear ie recount all the counties not just the ones Gore wanted. It's not bias, it's the simple concept of following the rules.

I just remember news networks calling it for Gore too early.

Quote:I just remember news networks calling it for Gore too early.
I agree. If the news networks had been more patient--and waited for those remaining votes in West Florida, none of this would have happened.

Quote:I agree. If the news networks had been more patient--and waited for those remaining votes in West Florida, none of this would have happened.

2pm: "With 0.000014 percent of the precincts reporting we officially call the state for Gore."

I think I was in 6th grade, the only confusion I had was in math and french.

Quote:I agree. If the news networks had been more patient--and waited for those remaining votes in West Florida, none of this would have happened.

Lol, dude. You can't agree with someone's foggy memory of history. That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works! :-)

While, yes the networks had their issues, the history of the 2000 election was much more complicated and, quite frankly, much more interesting than just the networks jumping the gun!

The thing is, that after a count... and recount... and another recount... the results weren't in Algore's favor.  Katherine Harris was right to finally call the vote correctly.  You can only look at and speculate on "hanging chads" and "dimples" so much.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.