Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
These contracts are not outrageous.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2016, 11:43 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

I hear alot of people crying over money. If havent noticed though. What has happened is because of the Draft picks making less. FA had to make more.

So every year contracts will be bigger. As long as salary cap is constantly highered. The players union has made it that way.

Crying over FA contracts. So as the market increases the contracts have too as well. Or ya lose out simple as that.

Thats is why Jackson today seams huge but will seam normal next FA. Look at Jenkins contract.

It is the nature of the beast. And the award for good players. And I expect Vernons to be high as well. Probaly more or close to Jacksons.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

All of Daves contracts are set up to only be 2-3 year deals essentially

The Jags paid 2 million per season more than Denver was willing and ready to pay. From that perspective, it's a good deal.

I would like to see the Jags start locking up a few of our own as well. I think the only one that they can do that with is Hurns. Everyone else has to wait one more season. It would be nice to see Hurns locked up with a shiny new deal. Hopefully that is something that gets done during the season this fall.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I think Telvin Smith can get an extension along with Hurns.

Outrageous contract is what the Giants just gave Vernon!
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2016, 06:07 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

If you are the best at what you do, you deserve what the public is willing to pay.

Just think of the millions of kids right now playing pop warner to HS Football.  These Free Agents emerged from that pack to become solid, if not elite, NFL players.

Imagine how much money we will have to spend in 2017 to keep our own

Well caught off guard with the Vernon one.  But expected it.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Not so bad in 3-4 years time.

Quote:I hear alot of people crying over money. If havent noticed though. What has happened is because of the Draft picks making less. FA had to make more.

So every year contracts will be bigger. As long as salary cap is constantly highered. The players union has made it that way.

Crying over FA contracts. So as the market increases the contracts have too as well. Or ya lose out simple as that.

Thats is why Jackson today seams huge but will seam normal next FA. Look at Jenkins contract.

It is the nature of the beast. And the award for good players. And I expect Vernons to be high as well. Probaly more or close to Jacksons.

Also, Under the previous CBA a player had to have 6 accrued seasons before they could become a FA.  In exchange for the money split the league wanted and the new rookie wage scale that number was reduced to 4 accrued seasons.  So now you have players who were drafted in 2012 that are ENTERING the effective prime of their careers hitting the open market.  

Also, with the increase in the cap, it makes it easier for teams to keep the players that they prioritize so the supply in the FA market is severely truncated.  

Those two factors have lead to geometric inflation.  That's why Olivier Vernon is going to make more than JJ Watt etc. etc. etc.  

that being said, as the FA market continues to inflate then the effective cap space is going to feel less and less excessive because it will cost that much more to sign other teams players.  

Now more than ever, it will be IMPERATIVE to hit on draft picks and have those picks perform well enough fast enough to merit being locked up as soon as they can negotiate a new deal with their team (after year 3 for draft picks) because signing two or three top level free agents can eat up 40-50 million with the emerging salary structure on the open market!