Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If we draft Jack does that make us more of a 3-4 defense?

Matt Miller dropped this interesting nugget earlier and it got me thinking.

Quote:<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout'>Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/707266295113232384' title="10:06 AM - 8 Mar 2016">3h3 hours ago</a>

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;">What will the <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#Jaguars</a> do in Round 1? Not sure yet, but I've heard they like Myles Jack as a SS/LB hybrid, not a MIKE

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;"> 

I was wondering what a SS/LB hybrid actually meant in this defense. The most obvious example of such a player is Arizona's Kevin Menter. But obviously they run a 3-4. So I'm thinking, does that mean Jack would simply replace Cyprien? And I don't think it's that simple. Considering we're in subpackages most of the time, I think we would see a lot of looks where Jack is on the inside of a pass rushing linebacker (Irvin or Fowler) and next to Telvin, who will also have a pass rushing linebacker next to him. In this situation, Jack is essentially a 3-4 ILB. When we are not in these packages, Jack would start at SS, with Cyprien coming off the bench to fill in at SS when Jack is playing LB. What do you guys think?

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think you're overthinking it.

SS on base downs, in for Poz on passing downs.

Quote:I think you're overthinking it.

And goaline back on short yardage. Could still rock #30 if this is the plan

Deone bucchannon (i think i spelled it wrong) might be what theyre thinking? Idk

Quote:I think you're overthinking it.

That'll work.  

Wouldn't surprise me either. Cyp's contract is up at the end of next year anyway.

Nope.  Takes a lot more than a player or two.

Regardless...

Just add the best players and the rest will work itself out.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Maybe Telvin slides inside?

Maybe its overkill but no matter the scheme, i want Odrick, Fowler, Marks, Telvin, n hopefully irvin, Vernon and Jack on the field in all passing situations.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2016, 08:24 PM by Bullseye.)

At this point, I don't think so, though I think, on a situational basis, they could pull off that look.

I still say there is no true NT and not enough depth at LB to do it full time.  Not only that, but you lose the effectiveness of Marks by taking him from his position to a 3-4 DE, and he'd be a horrible fit as a NT.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

That's certainly an interesting take. I've looked at Jack as MLB in our scheme, and had my concerns (along with the injury). But I've never thought to look at him to take over Cyp's spot in base downs as the strong side safety and then being a LB in obvious passing situations. My concern with this is, while I know Jack is a very good athlete...wouldn't teams just throw on us more when we go with single safety + Jack formation?

If that's the case, would Jack have enough speed if the teams try to stretch this defense?

Quote:Maybe its overkill but no matter the scheme, i want Odrick, Fowler, Marks, Telvin, n hopefully irvin, Vernon and Jack on the field in all passing situations.

No Malik Jackson? What??
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

I would think Telvin Smith would be more of a SS hybrid at his weight and speed.

Pretty sure Jack is just as fast if not faster than Telvin at 20 pounds heavier.

Quote:Pretty sure Jack is just as fast if not faster than Telvin at 20 pounds heavier.
Even if true, Smith at 6'3" would be my choice.  Better to defend passes.

Despite his speed Telvin isn't so great in coverage.

Quote:No Malik Jackson? What??
nope, hes to valuable on special teams.

Quote:Even if true, Smith at 6'3" would be my choice.  Better to defend passes.
Jack's arms are longer.

Quote:I would think Telvin Smith would be more of a SS hybrid at his weight and speed.

He just came off a phenomenal season. Don't switch his game

It'd be silly to over complicate this defense by moving LBs out of position. If you pick Jack, pick him to play LB, not some sort of LB/SS hybrid.

Get a SS to play SS IMO. I don't believe in moving players out of their positions like that.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.