Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Beards

Hasn't this about run its course?   Hasn't this beard thing become a cliche'?   So many guys are looking exactly alike these days.   The beard, the flat retro sunglasses, all these guys look alike.  

I'm watching the PGA Tour, and so many of these guys are indistinguishable.  Beard, Titleist hat, sunglasses. 

Isn't it about time guys started shaving again?  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've been trying to grow a decent beard for 40 years.  I usually get the urge when it's cold.  I have a really bad one right now and I seriously doubt mine looks like anyone else's.  I'm freakin' 61 and my damn facial hair grows like I'm still 14.  You'd think I could grow a a decent beard.  I'll get tired of it in a couple of more weeks and shave it off until it gets cold again.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2017, 08:03 AM by The Real Marty.)

I see a 20-something guy with the well trimmed beard and the retro sunglasses, and I think, that is not a leader.   That is a follower.  He wants to fit in. 

Then I see any guy with the long Duck Dynasty style beard and I think, geez, is he channeling some Civil War Confederate general?  Hey, buddy, you're late for the battle of Gettysburg!   We lost! 

Do people really enjoy tasting their soup 3 hours later?   What's the deal?   Shouldn't this beard fad be over now?  

I have no idea...no really, I have no idea.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:I see a 20-something guy with the well trimmed beard and the retro sunglasses, and I think, that is not a leader.   That is a follower.  He wants to fit in. 

Then I see any guy with the long Duck Dynasty style beard and I think, geez, is he channeling some Civil War Confederate general?  Hey, buddy, you're late for the battle of Gettysburg!   We lost! 

Do people really enjoy tasting their soup 3 hours later?   What's the deal?   Shouldn't this beard fad be over now?  

How about a 61-year old guy with a spotty grey beard?  Where do I fall in?

I don't know if it's a fad or if it will end. I'm 28 and I prefer to be either clean shaven or leave the stubble look. I've grown a beard a few times, but I just hate maintaining it so I end up shaving it off. I also hate shaving too though, which is why I like the stubble look a lot. I only shave once a week and I like how it grows in with the stubble and how it looks.

Quote:I don't know if it's a fad or if it will end. I'm 28 and I prefer to be either clean shaven or leave the stubble look. I've grown a beard a few times, but I just hate maintaining it so I end up shaving it off. I also hate shaving too though, which is why I like the stubble look a lot. I only shave once a week and I like how it grows in with the stubble and how it looks.

Actually that's me.  I usually go once...maybe twice a week.  Part of it is 'medical'.  I have some rosacea and it's pretty uncomfortable shaving sometimes.  Which is also the reason I try to actually grow a beard on occasion.  However, it usually looks so [BLEEP] after two months that I get sick of it and shave it off.

I shave once or twice a week or depending on excursions.

There are some interesting articles out there about what the psychology of the beard and facial hair means to millennials.  Some suggest that facial hair and the man bun are the "truck nuts" of that generation.  Interesting take to say the least.

That's my interpretation and summary, you won't actually find a direct "truck nuts" comparison but I think that gives you a good idea.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I don't have a "beard" per se.. I'd prolly call it neglect..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I don't know if it's a fad or if it will end. I'm 28 and I prefer to be either clean shaven or leave the stubble look. I've grown a beard a few times, but I just hate maintaining it so I end up shaving it off. I also hate shaving too though, which is why I like the stubble look a lot. I only shave once a week and I like how it grows in with the stubble and how it looks.

I think I let mine grow on purpose because I have a straight razor that I use.. It's an extremely gratifying shave..

I dont like to shave so I go at it like Dark does, usually I'm "unshaven." I also have frequent issues with Anemia after my cancer, so I bruise and bleed too easy to risk cutting my face too often.

The hipster look is tired, especially the full beard with a hard part fade. Looks like you're trying too hard and like the Metro look, takes too much effort.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I was just in Daytona for Bike Week, and it's fun to see the difference between the hipsters and the old bikers.  Well groomed beards and plucked eyebrows with skinny jeans and flannel shirts usually get a good chuckle.  Of course, the biker crowd at these events has definitely gotten a little tame in comparison to the early days when actual motorcycle "clubs" participated.  Had these hipsters rolled up on their sport bikes back in the day, they would have gained some valuable perspective on why it's a bad idea to play dress up.

I've had a goatee for probably 20 years or more. I keep it pretty tightly trimmed now, but on occasion will grow it out a bit.  I'd love to shave it all off at this point, but the wife would probably smother me with a pillow for doing so after all these years.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Skinny jeans, manbuns, socks with sandals, etc... and you guys decide to hate on beards. Some of us are previous military members who don't have to represent the baby face anymore.

I need to shave

Have you seen my baseball?

After retiring from the Navy, I shave and get a haircut whenever the hell I feel like it. My wife doesn't like me to go more than 3 or 4 days without shaving because the stubble hurts to kiss. Smile I can't grow a beard anyway but a few months ago I went a couple of weeks without shaving and was shocked by the amount of gray growing out of my face. I can't believe how old my whiskers are getting.

Quote:I don't have a "beard" per se.. I'd prolly call it neglect..
I have a beard because I got tired of shaving every other day and because my skin is a mess and the facial hair hides it quite nicely.

Im rocking a pretty long beard right now. Not to be cool but to distinguish myself from the tweakers

Usually about 75% of the time I'm clean shaven. Other 25% I'll let it go for a week or two and make sure it's neat then shave it all off. Just like to switch up the look sometimes.

It's just about run it's course.

FTR, I shave daily Smile

Quote:I have a beard because I got tired of shaving every other day and because my skin is a mess and the facial hair hides it quite nicely.

Stop kissin squid and you won't have suction cup marks all on your face..