Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell on imminent FA approach

A few words by Dave about the upcoming FA session, taken from Ryan O'Halloran article here: http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...have-price

Just a couple of sentences, the rest is Ryan O' speculation:

I quote the part relative to FA here:

1. The Jaguars will be aggressive in free agency but also cautious.

“There will be some opportunities for us,” general manager Dave Caldwell said. “It might not be the big splash, but will be guys of value.”

Translation: If Malik Jackson is holding out of $15 million per year, he won’t get it from the Jaguars. Just based on Caldwell’s track record, he has a price point on every player and won’t greatly deviate.

Where the Jaguars need help (cornerback and free safety), there are multiple options so they won’t need to drastically overpay.

If the free safety’s name isn’t Eric Weddle, then it won’t be flashy but will have value. Same for if they signed a cornerback not named Janoris Jenkins.

Another interesting thing Caldwell said came when I asked him if a lot of players will be taken off the market. He said unless a player gets tagged by Monday, he expects them to all hit the open market. This includes Miami’s Olivier Vernon. That’s different than last year, when targets Randall Cobb and Devin McCourty weren’t tagged, but re-signed with Green Bay and New England, respectively, before the market opened.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Come on Dave, dont get Cautious now. We need a winner already.

I like this approach. I would spend but i respect the idea of value. Hope he finds some good players that fit the scheme.

Quote:Come on Dave, dont get Cautious now. We need a winner already.

Good God. I thought you were a Giants fan now?!?

Please?

Quote:Come on Dave, dont get Cautious now. We need a winner already.
He's just saying they will be smart and selective.  Throwing money around just to do it will give us players like Bryce Paup, Hugh Douglas, or Jerry Porter.

Yeah I was a bit worried when Dave said we weren't going to set the market in his press conference a few days ago. If we want Vernon, Malik, Osemele, etc we are going to have to set the market. 

Hopefully he's just being veiled. 

I'm pretty sure he's said the same thing every FA period.

Quote:I'm pretty sure he's said the same thing every FA period.

He said something similar last year then proceeded to hand out 100 million in contracts.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:He said something similar last year then proceeded to hand out 100 million in contracts.

Yep.

S           M              O               K                  E       .               .                .                .               .

G           O                                J                A                  G               S                  !                    !

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

My tickets went up about $10 per game. Caldwell can now afford to sign whoever they need!

He said the same thing last year and ended up going after McCourty, Cobb, Odrick, Parnell and one other top tier FA. I think he comes out firing this year with contracts to give out. March 7th or Mach 8th before March 9th we will know if we will land a top tier FA or not. They can't sign the contract till the 9th but 7th is when they can contact their agents. 

Quote:He said the same thing last year and ended up going after McCourty, Cobb, Odrick, Parnell and one other top tier FA. I think he comes out firing this year with contracts to give out. March 7th or Mach 8th before March 9th we will know if we will land a top tier FA or not. They can't sign the contract till the 9th but 7th is when they can contact their agents. 

That would be Julius Thomas.

Quote:That would be Julius Thomas.

thanks, I know he had 5 in mind and ended up getting 3. How could I forget Julius? lol

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 08:21 PM by FreeAgent01.)

Like mentioned earlier, Caldwell has a price point he won't budge from. He is willing to spend big money on a $15 million dollar player, but won't pay $20 million for a $15 million dollar player. He'll sign 5 or 6 $15 million players if theyre available, but won't overpay for any single one.

Quote:Like mentioned earlier, Caldwell has a price point he won't budge from. He is willing to spend big money on a $15 million dollar player, but won't pay $20 million for a $15 million dollar player. He'll sign 5 or 6 $15 million players if theyre available, but won't overpay for any single one.

Not so sure I'd agree with you based on his previous history,he over spent on Odrick big time and it wouldn't surprise me if he does it again. You have to over spend in free agency its how it works.

Quote:Not so sure I'd agree with you based on his previous history,he over spent on Odrick big time and it wouldn't surprise me if he does it again. You have to over spend in free agency its how it works.

Well yeah, you obviously have to overspend. I wouldn't call Odrick's contract overspending big time. It was a bit high, but I wouldn't call it obscene. It's a good point with Odrick though.

I like this approach and hope it does end up going well for us. Im excited.

According to Dave, we're also close to our cap number and don't have a lot to spend to get there.

Also pointing to less spending than most fans would expect, or desire.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:According to Dave, we're also close to our cap number and don't have a lot to spend to get there.

Also pointing to less spending than most fans would expect, or desire.

I figured this. We are not known to making huge splashes.