Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell on imminent FA approach

Quote:I figured this. We are not known to making huge splashes.

[Image: 4567808.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:[Image: 4567808.jpg]

I keep forgetting that adding six players via Free Agency is not considered a big move.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:According to Dave, we're also close to our cap number and don't have a lot to spend to get there.

Also pointing to less spending than most fans would expect, or desire.

I've been stating the opinion that they will try to sign two free agents that command at least a $20mil guarantee. (top tier guys)  And then a number of mid-tier players. 

Hopefully they are able to get the guys they want, but for those listing 4, or 5 free agents that are all looking to get top five salaries at their positions...

...well, they will probably be disappointed. 

For those in need of perspective (not you pirkster) consider the "cap hit" number from last years free agent haul.

They had a cap hit last year of <b>$36.3 million</b> on Thomas, Parnell, Odrick, House, Skuta and Brown. That's just what was paid to those players in 2015. 

Now remember - they also pursued Randall Cobb and DeMarco Murray last year. 

They seem to be implying they will be MORE aggressive this year.  So.....  I do think they'll try to make a "splash" and I think they'll succeed in landing two top tier guys. 

Similar to JT and Odrick last year, but guys that demand bigger salaries and guarantees. 

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM by BklynJag.)

@ProFootballTalk On PFT Live, Jaguars G.M. Dave Caldwell throws water on the perception his team will spend, spend, spend next week.

I'm sort of surprised with all that cap space. I was a bit worried when Dave said during his combine interview that we weren't going to set the market on anyone in FA. If we don't set the market we aren't going to get Vernon, Malik, Osemele, Jenkins, etc...

Quote:@ProFootballTalk On PFT Live, Jaguars G.M. Dave Caldwell throws water on the perception his team will spend, spend, spend next week.

I'm sort of surprised with all that cap space. I was a bit worried when Dave said during his combine interview that we weren't going to set the market on anyone in FA. If we don't set the market we aren't going to get Vernon, Malik, Osemele, Jenkins, etc...

What do you want Dave to say? Hey agents, we gonna spend big moneyz no matters the price!!1

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016, 11:46 AM by JackCity.)

If Vernon got tagged by the Phins would you swap our no.5 pick with their #8 pick and then give them our second round?

I wouldn't due to the D depth in this draft but its a possibility.

Quote:If Vernon got tagged by the Phins would you swap our no.5 pick with their #8 pick and then give them our second round?

No only because i wouldnt want to lose a draft pick. The whole point of this off season is we have all this money. If we cant get him then we'll get someone else.

Quote:@ProFootballTalk On PFT Live, Jaguars G.M. Dave Caldwell throws water on the perception his team will spend, spend, spend next week.

I think we should start freaking out now while it's all just speculation. That way we can be in full on panic mode by the time something actually happens.

Perhaps now that we've got a talented nucleus such that things don't appear completely hopeless, we won't HAVE to set the market on the players we want.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I think we should start freaking out now while it's all just speculation. That way we can be in full on panic mode by the time something actually happens.

Ha! You're way behind. I've been freaking out about Free Agency since the Superb Owl!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Remember when Broncos went out and got TJ Ward, Aquib Talib, and Demarcus Ware in 2014 ??

They played to win, and won !!

He gave 5 mill a year to a back up linebacker

Quote:I figured this. We are not known to making huge splashes.
That's like completely false. You're thinking of the Steelers, Patriots, Green Bay, etc.who do nothing in FA usually.

We ALWAYS get a lot of players via FA. Not sure what you mean exactly. Or are you just trying to be annoyed at something?

If Caldwell is going to sign a new OTTO to upgrade Skuta, like Bruce Irvin, it would be in the Jags interest to do it very quickly in free agency.  Skuta's 2015 salary and roster bonus of $4.6m was fully guaranteed upon his signing.  However, his 2016 salary of $3.6m is not guaranteed until March 13th (the 5th day of the new league year).  I do understand that they could always keep Skuta for backup and special teams also.     

Quote:Ha! You're way behind. I've been freaking out about Free Agency since the Superb Owl!

Whatever brobi-won-kenobi. I've been freaking out about free agency ever since "even if he's released."