Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For the people that are against "paying" Malik Jackson

He was second in the league (amongst DT's) last year with 21 hurries, only behind N Suh and ahead of studs like Gerald McCoy and Marcel Dareus, this guy is a transcendent player at a position of need and is only 26 years old, pay the man!

http://www.9news.com/sports/9news-series...n/59119729

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Either pay him or Janoris and I'll be happy

We have the money to burn. I say pay him unless he wants something outrageous.

I wouldnt pay suh mccoy dareus or anyone else 12 million dollars a year for "hurries"

Thats why the dolphins are kicking themselves and the lions let him go.

Suh is the test case. The mist dominant interior lineman coming out of college i have ever seen and he only has one double digit sack season in his entire career. Think about that. Its a non premium position so much so that premium players still have a hard time creating impact.

I say pay BOTH Jenkins and Jackson. They have the money.

I prefer a LEO candidate in Oliver Vernon and a DT in the draft since the DT position is deep this year. I would be happy with Vernon, Sean Smith/Janoris Jenkins, and short term FS in Weddle or Nelson. Draft Myles Jack. 

Quote:I prefer a LEO candidate in Oliver Vernon and a DT in the draft since the DT position is deep this year. I would be happy with Vernon, Sean Smith/Janoris Jenkins, and short term FS in Weddle or Nelson. Draft Myles Jack.

But we have the money to sign Jackson, Vernon, and Jenkins. Why not try and get all of them. It doesnt have to be one or the other with the money we have.

IDK did not watch a ton of him last year but in the afc champ game against ne IMO he did not have a dominant game and seems to disappear a LOT. Personally Marks is better than him. Just my .02 cents. I really could care less if we sign him especially for ridiculous money.

Opinions.

Quote:But we have the money to sign Jackson, Vernon, and Jenkins. Why not try and get all of them. It doesnt have to be one or the other with the money we have.

Yeah everyone keeps saying that we have the money but why would you spend that much money on a non-premium player? I would love to use the 12-15 million Malik Jackson will get to sign 1 other top player like Josh Norman(which I don't think he is hitting the market) or 2 not great but impact players like a CB in Sean Smith and Osemele the Guard. 

Oliver Vernon and Josh Norman would be great. But then again if they do sign Vernon and Jackson I wouldn't be mad, I just want them to improve on defense. 

And still Jared Odrick had more sacks than him. Odrick also was more significant in the run game with stuffs as opposed to Jackson who goose egged there.

The fans of whoever signs an $8 million dollar player to a $14 million dollar contract will be the first ones whining after the first season. If he comes here are you going to look at his 4 or 5 sacks and then post, "Thank God we signed this guy to one of the richest contracts in the league?"

That $14 million could be used for another, more impactful player or divided amongst our top targets to ensure we get all 4 or 5 instead of letting a few get away.

Quote:IDK did not watch a ton of him last year but in the afc champ game against ne IMO he did not have a dominant game and seems to disappear a LOT. Personally Marks is better than him. Just my .02 cents. I really could care less if we sign him especially for ridiculous money.

Opinions.

Marks pre injury is certainly better than him and an argument can be made that Odrick is better than him too.

I just want players that make plays.  I don't care about the numbers on the paycheck or the names on the back of the jerseys.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I just want players that make plays. I don't care about the numbers on the paycheck or the names on the back of the jerseys.

Sure, but Malik Jackson isn't a difference maker any more than Jared Odrick is one. Spend $14 million on a real playmaker or divide it up to secure your top 4 or 5 free agent targets instead of getting 1 or 2 and Jackson.

Quote:Yeah everyone keeps saying that we have the money but why would you spend that much money on a non-premium player? I would love to use the 12-15 million Malik Jackson will get to sign 1 other top player like Josh Norman(which I don't think he is hitting the market) or 2 not great but impact players like a CB in Sean Smith and Osemele the Guard.

Oliver Vernon and Josh Norman would be great. But then again if they do sign Vernon and Jackson I wouldn't be mad, I just want them to improve on defense.

I get the point you are making but Smith will get something close to what Maxwell got last year 9.5 mil a year i beleive. Osemele will get that 12 million you are speaking of. In free agency players get over paid. Its just the nature of the beast. Thats why i believe Caldwell put us in a position where the money just isnt a issue when we go to sign free agents. We need players who improve the team. If our cap space wasnt so healthy then id possibly have a worry. But he can literaly front load every contract then by year 2 or 3 they are being paid their true market value.

You are right. DT is a non premium position but those days of thinking are begining to become obsolete. Special players are making impacts regardless of positioning. Luke K is an outside backer who has the panthers team rolling. Berry is a saftey who is a terror all over the feild. And to win a championship you need more than just the primary 4 premium positions. To me this would be a step toward creating a great overall roster. This team is in no position defensively to pass up a quality player if given the opportunity to get them. And with our cap space it is virtually a non issue.

Quote:But we have the money to sign Jackson, Vernon, and Jenkins. Why not try and get all of them. It doesnt have to be one or the other with the money we have.

It would be nice, but there are other teams with cap space vying for the big three here. Don't set yourself up for disappointment if only one or none are signed. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote:Sure, but Malik Jackson isn't a difference maker any more than Jared Odrick is one. Spend $14 million on a real playmaker or divide it up to secure your top 4 or 5 free agent targets instead of getting 1 or 2 and Jackson.

What other "real playmakers" are out there besides Jackson?
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:It would be nice, but there are other teams with cap space vying for the big three here. Don't set yourself up for disappointment if only one or none are signed.

Lol oh I know how it will really go down. 1 maybe 2 of these guys if we are lucky and 5-6 guys who are rising who project well into the scheme. I think caldwell has us with the potential to acquire 3 or 4 big name guys but i know that wont happen. Honestly if we can get Vernon and Weddle ill be good. We could honestly skip the others and draft the rest lol.

Quote:I get the point you are making but Smith will get something close to what Maxwell got last year 9.5 mil a year i beleive. Osemele will get that 12 million you are speaking of. In free agency players get over paid. Its just the nature of the beast. Thats why i believe Caldwell put us in a position where the money just isnt a issue when we go to sign free agents. We need players who improve the team. If our cap space wasnt so healthy then id possibly have a worry. But he can literaly front load every contract then by year 2 or 3 they are being paid their true market value.

You are right. DT is a non premium position but those days of thinking are begining to become obsolete. Special players are making impacts regardless of positioning. Luke K is an outside backer who has the panthers team rolling. Berry is a saftey who is a terror all over the feild. And to win a championship you need more than just the primary 4 premium positions. To me this would be a step toward creating a great overall roster. This team is in no position defensively to pass up a quality player if given the opportunity to get them. And with our cap space it is virtually a non issue.

I don't see any real difference between Odrick and Jackson. They would certainly rotate and split time... I could see Jackson managing only 3 or 4 sacks. Would that be worth the $14 million? I would rather spend it on a more impactful player.

Quote:What other "real playmakers" are out there besides Jackson?

Who knows until free agency opens. There are players like Von Miller, Eric Berry and Josh Norman who are unlikely to see FA, but as of now they are tentatively available. Then there are players like Mario Williams who aren't available, but likely will be. We'll know who is available in a few weeks.

Quote:I don't see any real difference between Odrick and Jackson. They would certainly rotate and split time... I could see Jackson managing only 3 or 4 sacks. Would that be worth the $14 million? I would rather spend it on a more impactful player.

I was think more of 3T