Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Malik Jackson likely hitting open market

If he's so average as some are saying, why are the Broncos "desperately" trying to re-sign him?

Usually that's the kind of FA you want - the one whose former team desperately wanted him back and just couldn't make it happen.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 11:42 PM by FreeAgent01.)

Quote:If he's so average as some are saying, why are the Broncos "desperately" trying to re-sign him?

Usually that's the kind of FA you want - the one whose former team desperately wanted him back and just couldn't make it happen.
Because he is a good player... Just not worth that kind of money. The top end players that play his role on defense never see $10 million, let alone the $12-14 million that he seeks.

What role would he play on this team anyways? We already have 3 players that play the same role as him in Marks, Odrick, and Alualu. Marks before the injuries was a better interior pass rusher than Malik, and Odrick is very comparable. Wasted money is bad enough, but wasted and overpaid? Overspend elsewhere, on a more impactful player.

Quote:Because he is a good player... Just not worth that kind of money. The top end players that play his role on defense never see $10 million, let alone the $12-14 million that he seeks.

What role would he play on this team anyways? We already have 3 players that play the same role as him in Marks, Odrick, and Alualu. Marks before the injuries was a better interior pass rusher than Malik, and Odrick is very comparable. Wasted money is bad enough, but wasted and overpaid? Overspend elsewhere, on a more impactful player.

The reality of FA this year is that the contracts given to the big name free agents are going to be extravagant. In two three years the cap could be up another 30+ million due to TV and string deals.

Also no guarantee that Marks comes back the same,he's 29 coming off big injuries.

I dont get all the hype about Jackson. He benefited from having the best DE combo in the league.

And they benefited from having him and Wolfe creating pressure from the inside. It's a two way street.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

What we've got going for us is the fact we're in Florida and we're a good scheme fit for him. If his number 1 concern is dollar amount (which seems to be the case) then Oakland cannot come anywhere near competing with us due to the lack of state income taxes. We could sign him to the same contract as they could in official numbers and he would be seeing a lot more of that money with us than them. We're also a clear scheme fit with the ability to add players around him, interior and exterior, to help him produce just as he did in Denver and not expect him to be the savior. The organization also has a good reputation and if him and Julius were cool he could recruit him.

Basically, if his primary concern is money then we should be able to get him point blank period. None of his other suitors can compete with us in dollar amount thanks to the lack of state income taxes. 

Another test of Caldwell.

A team like ours can't afford to miss on opportunities like this at this stage of the rebuild.

You have the money and the space, you make the upgrade.

Simple.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Where does he play on our defense?  He played 5 tech on Denver D in a 3-4.  If Marks is 100% im guessing he would take Odricks spot?  and on passing downs move him inside next to Marks?  If we draft Bosa as well we would have a nasty dline  players always staying fresh

I like Jackson but I think he is best in a 3-4.  He wasnt as good in a 4-3 when Fox was the coach. I would rather throw many for an edge rusher

1st and 2nd down-Fowler-Miller-Marks-Jackson

3rd down-Fowler-Jackson-Marks-Odrick

I don't understand the fit with Odrick being a starter. Odrick nor Malik should be paid starter money to be a rotational player on our poor d line.

Apparently Odrick is the 4th highest DT in the league? (And he plays 5 tech de for us).

Jaguars signed DT Jared Odrick to a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $22 million guaranteed.

The $8.5 million average makes Odrick the league's fourth-highest paid defensive tackle. Odrick will team with Sen'Derrick Marks and Roy Miller to form an impressive interior rotation. Odrick, 27, is above-average both as a pass rusher and in run defense. It's a huge get for Jacksonville, even it's coming at a steep price. The Jaguars' especially aggressive pursuit of Odrick may hint at Marks (ACL) not being available for Week 1. Wed, Mar 11, 2015 11:05:00 AM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Quote:Apparently Odrick is the 4th highest DT in the league? (And he plays 5 tech de for us).

Jaguars signed DT Jared Odrick to a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $22 million guaranteed.

The $8.5 million average makes Odrick the league's fourth-highest paid defensive tackle. Odrick will team with Sen'Derrick Marks and Roy Miller to form an impressive interior rotation. Odrick, 27, is above-average both as a pass rusher and in run defense. It's a huge get for Jacksonville, even it's coming at a steep price. The Jaguars' especially aggressive pursuit of Odrick may hint at Marks (ACL) not being available for Week 1. Wed, Mar 11, 2015 11:05:00 AM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

And I believe Odrick is the 2nd highest paid 4-3 LE in the league.  Tying up $22 million dollars on a non premium position for two players whom are good players, but far from game changers is mind bottling.  Then throw in Alualu who is already a solid, versatile backup at $3 million and we've invested $25 million, 1/6th of our salary cap, into having a solid, not spectacular, rotation at a non-premium position.

We have so much money to spend, that we have to spend, if anyone comes along that is a young, ascending player, especially on defense, we almost have to go after him.  

Quote:1st and 2nd down-Fowler-Miller-Marks-Jackson

3rd down-Fowler-Jackson-Marks-Odrick

No, it would be

1st and 2nd-Fowler-Jackson-Miller-Odrik

3rd - Fowler-Marks-Jackson-2nd LEO

Quote:I like Jackson but I think he is best in a 3-4. He wasnt as good in a 4-3 when Fox was the coach. I would rather throw many for an edge rusher

This, I've been saying this for a while.

Quote:This, I've been saying this for a while.

The most sacks he had in a season was while playing under John Fox. Who started this notion that Malik only played well last year?

Quote:This, I've been saying this for a while.

Well that must make it true then, huh?

Again, why are you guys so concerned about how much of Khan's money is used on a player? We have almost $100 million in cap space. It does not matter how much we pay someone to come here, even starter money to rotate. If that's what it takes that's what it takes.

Quote:We have so much money to spend, that we have to spend, if anyone comes along that is a young, ascending player, especially on defense, we almost have to go after him.  

Quote:Again, why are you guys so concerned about how much of Khan's money is used on a player? We have almost $100 million in cap space. It does not matter how much we pay someone to come here, even starter money to rotate. If that's what it takes that's what it takes.

Agree.

I don't get the short-sightedness of thinking just because we spend money one place, that somehow prevents from spending it in another.

The cap has increased dramatically this season, and we're well under it.  We were well under it even before the massive increase.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."