Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell the upcoming best NFL GM?

For a relatively new GM the man has been incredible. He's build this offense first like he said he would. He tore everything down and has us with the most cap space while we already have a playoff caliber offense. I have no doubt he can fix this defense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's done well so far, but he has made his fair share of mistakes.  The team still sucks, and I'm not sure if it's just Bradley or both of them.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Caldwell has done extremely well in my opinion. The only knock on him I can think is he was a bit naive in gutting the roster to that extent.

His legacy will be and should be judged on wins and losses though.

Quote:Caldwell has done extremely well in my opinion. The only knock on him I can think is he was a bit naive in gutting the roster to that extent.

His legacy will be and should be judged on wins and losses though.

I don't know. He basically said the contracts were so bad and out of hand and the team wasn't even close so it had to be done.

Could've done better in 2013 draft but that draft class wasn't all that great.

The best GM needs to win a few more games first....
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

First and foremost...

Gus was his hire.  If that ends up being a blemish, it could be a very big one.  HUGE

I see nothing to support what you're saying so far.  He hasn't been particularly good at landing key free agents.  He's landed a few second tier guys but missed on nearly all, if not every single high profile one.

He's found good value in the draft, and has put into place offensive foundations at QB and WR.  But OL is still woefully lacking (though he did find Linder - our best OL, or was that merely because Jedd Fisch was in Dave's ear?,) and it would appear he may have a "blind spot" for selecting defensive talent.  Telvin has great individual stats but I'm not sure I'd consider his play game changing.

By the time we plucked him from Atlanta, things were eerily similar to what they are here.

Atlanta (via a massive trade) found itself one of the best WRs in the league.  They had not found their LT, and RB was a question mark around their star QB.  Atlanta's defense dropped from 12 to 24 his final year, then 32... all the way to the bottom the year after.  With his players.

I certainly hope he can do for the defensive talent what he's done for parts of the offense.  But I haven't seen him do that anywhere.  Yet.  Hope he can, and does.  But the track record isn't good.  He's on pace to get his coach fired again if he can't find and acquire enough defensive talent to lift this team.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Caldwell has lots to prove yet, but his percentage of hits in the draft AND free agency is actually pretty darn good. Every GM has a larger number of swings and misses than you realize until you dig deeper.

Finding his QB, some talent at receiver outside round one, a few mid-late round steals - plus guys like Marks, House and JT in free agency...

... This stuff puts him ahead of the curve, but "best" is still a long way off.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 02:08 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

Quote:First and foremost...

Gus was his hire.  If that ends up being a blemish, it could be a very big one.  HUGE

I see nothing to support what you're saying so far.  He hasn't been particularly good at landing key free agents.  He's landed a few second tier guys but missed on nearly all, if not every single high profile one.

He's found good value in the draft, and has put into place offensive foundations at QB and WR.  But OL is still woefully lacking (though he did find Linder - our best OL, or was that merely because Jedd Fisch was in Dave's ear?,) and it would appear he may have a "blind spot" for selecting defensive talent.  Telvin has great individual stats but I'm not sure I'd consider his play game changing.

By the time we plucked him from Atlanta, things were eerily similar to what they are here.

Atlanta (via a massive trade) found itself one of the best WRs in the league.  They had not found their LT, and RB was a question mark around their star QB.  Atlanta's defense dropped from 12 to 24 his final year, then 32... all the way to the bottom the year after.  With his players.

I certainly hope he can do for the defensive talent what he's done for parts of the offense.  But I haven't seen him do that anywhere.  Yet.  Hope he can, and does.  But the track record isn't good.  He's on pace to get his coach fired again if he can't find and acquire enough defensive talent to lift this team.

Pretty much this.

Gerhart is garbage

Beadles is garbage

Released Forsett 

Joeckel is garbage - people here love to forget/underrate Ansah but if he was a Jag they would be saying he is better than Watt

Clemons meh

Hood did nothing

Red Bryant meh

Cyprien sucks

Gratz sucks

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Quote:Pretty much this.

Gerhart is garbage    pretty much, although I think injuries ruined this pick along with the crap Oline in front of him

Beadles is garbage   never understood this one

Released Forsett   I'm still not sold on him, he played behind a very good OLINE the last two years and was nothing before that

Joeckel is garbage - people here love to forget/underrate Ansah but if he was a Jag they would be saying he is better than Watt   <b>I like Ansah but going into that draft you were looking at a top LT prospect vs a guy that was extremely raw and new to football, he went for the safe pick.  Joeckel played pretty well other than about 4 games give him more time</b>

Clemons meh   Pass rushers are hard to find in FA

Hood did nothing   Depth Dts don't usually do much,  It was a similar signing to Marks it just didn't work out as well

Red Bryant meh    One year plug at big end made our run D better than it should have been I'm okay with that one

Cyprien sucks    I won't go this far, lacking a true FS next to him has made him look worse than he is 

Gratz sucks     I think this failure is more the result of a lack of passrush than anything,  3rd round CBs tend to be hit or miss anyway

I like DC as a GM, no one hits 100% but the smoke screen for Bortles, Hurns, Arob, Lee were all very good pickups.  Finding Linder and Cann and our late round picks like Smith, Bennett are very good.

I'm amazed we have been as good as we have with the amount of youth on this roster and it should start to come together this year.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I think he has done a good job so far. Sure he has a few misses but he has a lot of hits also

I'm happy with what Dave has done, but he hasn't developed the track record or had enough success on the field in terms of wins Ned losses for me to consider one of the best in the league.

He's a 50 50 guy. For every hit, he has a miss. Which ain't bad.

I like him.

Quote:Pretty much this.

Gerhart is garbage

Beadles is garbage

Released Forsett 

Joeckel is garbage - people here love to forget/underrate Ansah but if he was a Jag they would be saying he is better than Watt

Clemons meh

Hood did nothing

Red Bryant meh

Cyprien sucks

Gratz sucks

Who do you think is the best GM? Did he hit on every one of his picks?

Caldwell's biggest mistake is Bradley. A lot of the players you listed were better before Bradley and his crew got their hands on them.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Who do you think is the best GM? Did he hit on every one of his picks?

Caldwell's biggest mistake is Bradley. A lot of the players you listed were better before Bradley and his crew got their hands on them.

Like who?

Quote:Who do you think is the best GM? Did he hit on every one of his picks?

You're right. If Dave had canned Bradley this offseason and landed a blue chip guy I'd say Dave is making an awful lot of right choices. As it is he's sticking with a guy that hasn't shown much when it comes to developing defenders, which was supposed to be his specialty.

3 straight years of top 3 picks later, Caldwell was able to draft a QB, LT, and DE. I gotta wait and see how those players turn out before I start referring to Caldwell as the best gm in the league. He has done a good job so far imo.

Quote:Like who?

Most of the list.

Gerhart, Beadles, Clemons, Bryant, and Forsett were better before Bradley (and Forsett and Marshall were better with different coaching). Gratz and Cyprien showed promise early before fading (as did McCray and Bowanko). Branch and Davis are two more who's production has tanked.

I doubt Bradley and staff were responsible for all of them, but it's likely they contributed significantly to the problem.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 06:32 PM by D0hv.)

He's drafted some great players like Bortles, Robinson, Linder, Telvin, Cann, Greene and Yeldon. Got a great WR who would probably be an early 2nd round/late 1st round pick if teams knew how good he would be in Hurns. Signed some good Free agents like House and Marks. But he has a fair share of misses. That 2013 draft as a whole. Should've drafted Ziggy Ansah over Joeckel, Cyp and Gratz are trash, Robinson is a project that probably won't work out. Also Marquise Lee can't stay healthy at all, which isn't his fault but a top 2nd round receiver needs to do better. 

Dante Fowler Jr also needs to be an 8-10 sack a year guy. Also we need to start drafting BAP. When you draft for need, that's how you miss on picks and end up with a bunch of bust. This year their is a lot of ELITE talent on the defensive side of the ball, so at 5 their will be like 4 great players to pick from. Ramsey, Bosa, Jack, Spence, and Buckner all ELITE talents he has choices.

In free agency I want him to go out and get Malik Jackson from Denver, Janoris Jenkins CB from LA, and Bruce Irvin from Seattle. We have the most cap room ever, so we can afford to over pay and still be in good shape to re-sign players like Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Telvin, and Linder down the line.

-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

Let's just ignore the fact that Forsett was injured almost the entire time he was here.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]