Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell the upcoming best NFL GM?

I think he's been very good, and a lot of the arguments against him are being cast with a large dose of hindsight.

The best though, IMO, is Steve Keim, who I believe we also interviewed before hiring Caldwell.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's not the best.

He's also not the worst. He is far from that.

The fact that he is hitting on his later round picks says a lot though. Those are guys that other teams had multiple chances at drafting, but didn't. That is a huge plus for Caldwell.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Most of the list.

Gerhart, Beadles, Clemons, Bryant, and Forsett were better before Bradley (and Forsett and Marshall were better with different coaching). Gratz and Cyprien showed promise early before fading (as did McCray and Bowanko). Branch and Davis are two more who's production has tanked.

I doubt Bradley and staff were responsible for all of them, but it's likely they contributed significantly to the problem.

Bryant was an old running stopping DE and played like such,Clemons an old pass rusher who played like such,Beadles had Manning.

I'll give you the rest of them but I think it goes both ways. Surely Bradley has played a large part in development of our young players also?

He hit on his QB. Considering that is the hardest piece to find given our past 2 GMs attempts I'll give Caldwell a pass for now.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:For a relatively new GM the man has been incredible. He's build this offense first like he said he would. He tore everything down and has us with the most cap space while we already have a playoff caliber offense. I have no doubt he can fix this defense.
Lets see if he can build this team right and then go from there

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Bortles, ARob, and Telvin were incredible picks. Does he get credit for Hurns or is that just luck?

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 09:33 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

Quote:Who do you think is the best GM? Did he hit on every one of his picks?

Caldwell's biggest mistake is Bradley. A lot of the players you listed were better before Bradley and his crew got their hands on them.

Does it matter? I never said Caldwell sucks, I just find the title of this topic quite hilarious.

My biggest problems with Caldwell are Bradley and Beadles (everyone and their grandmas know you don't sign Peyton's O-lineman to big contracts unless he is truly special.. everyone knew Beadles wasn't that, except Caldwell apparently).

I am ok with Caldwell for now but he has to realize he has the wrong HC.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Despite our progress it was extremely poor thinking to have a rookie GM and rookie HC whilst also completely blowing up the roster at the same time. I'm not sure how anyone thought that was the best way to do it.

Quote:I am ok with Caldwell for now but he has to realize he has the wrong HC.

I have a similar opinion.  I hope he extended Gus because he truly believes he'll turn it around, not because it was a double down on his pride in selecting him.

And I don't give him a pass for selecting Bortles.  He had Matt Ryan and gave him weapons in ATL, but the defense crumbled there - shutting their window of opportunity.

Without fixing our defensive talent, our window won't even open.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I have a similar opinion.  I hope he extended Gus because he truly believes he'll turn it around, not because it was a double down on his pride in selecting him.

And I don't give him a pass for selecting Bortles.  He had Matt Ryan and gave him weapons in ATL, but the defense crumbled there - shutting their window of opportunity.

Without fixing our defensive talent, our window won't even open.

I'll add a possible third explanation to why he might have been signed to a fifth year on his contract. Dave could have talked to Khan about getting rid of Gus and Khan could have responded to him that Gus was Dave's choice and that they're joined, and if a new head coach comes in Khan would be giving that coach the power to decide on who he wants as GM.

Dave might be just as much of a dead man walking as Gus in spite of how positively we feel about him here on the message board. It's pretty hard to excuse taking such a clown as the head coach and being so sure about it while also turning out to be so wrong about the guy as a head coach.

Lets keep all this in prospective. Every GM has mis-plays. The good GM's are the one's who ultimately pick a top 10 QB. Check.

Forsett? Oops

Gutting the roster with too much youth? Painful start but could pay off with a ring. Id rather avg 3 wins then make the jump to the superbowl within 6 years than avg 7 and become an early exit playoff team every year.

Joeckel? Worst draft class in decades and he picks the only guy who hasn't completely busted yet. (AKA the best guy in the top 5 in that draft), So this IMO is actually a credit to him. 

Toby? I don't think anyone forsaw what happened there. 

Gus? Lets see what happens this season before we seal the letter on this one.

Lewis?  Could be an AMAZING backup actually. 

Lee? Could be his first true high value bust but I'd rather a GM who swings for the fences. He tried to completely fix the offense in one season and for the most part did that. Lee would've just been icing on the cake.

Remember, This guy got Hurns, Robinson, T. Smith, Marks, Cann, Linder, A. Colvin, and the most important player who will determine our fate, Blake Bortles. He's our guy and so is Caldwell. There could be some hall of fame players in that list. 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:Bortles, ARob, and Telvin were incredible picks. Does he get credit for Hurns or is that just luck?

I remember something on the main site saying that Fisch lobbied for Hurns.  Probably the only good thing Fisch did for this team.  

Everyone keeps counting Justin Forsett's release against Caldwell.  It was a move that may have lacked foresight, but Forsett was stuck behind a crap line in Jax in 2013 and never got anything going, and then ended the last five games of 2013 on IR with a broken foot.  No one blinked when he was released. 

Also - I do not agree with this "tied at the hip" assumption floating around.  I think Khan may be smarter than to dismiss Dave if Gus can't right the ship in 2016. 

Quote:I remember something on the main site that Fisch lobbied for Hurns.  Probably the only good thing Fisch did for this team.  
Caldwell said very matter-of-fact the other day that the scouting department did a great job on Hurns and they went after him aggressively in UDFA. 

Made him the highest paid undrafted receiver. It wasn't all on Fisch, but I'm sure he had positive input. 

Winning, a criteria for this accolade?

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

This is his big year. We get 9 wins this year he's a genius.

We get 6 he is probably fired alongside Bradley.

He was using gene Smith's scouts in 2013 but since he brought in his own people he has drafted well.

In free agency he has gambled and lost alot but despite his gambles our cap situation is extremely good.

Overall I feel positive

Quote:Also - I do not agree with this "tied at the hip" assumption floating around.  I think Khan may be smarter than to dismiss Dave if Gus can't right the ship in 2016. 

On the contrary, I'd say that Khan is smarter than hamstringing his options in the coaching market by insisting on who has to be the GM.

It's a very possible reason someone that has shown little ability to develop players as pass defenders when that was supposed to be his forte has received such wholehearted support from the very man he's making look the fool.

Quote:Winning, a criteria for this accolade?

Doesn't appear to be.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Bortles, ARob, and Telvin were incredible picks. Does he get credit for Hurns or is that just luck?
Let me answer with a question.  How many GM's wish they had grabbed Hurns instead of whoever they took in one of the late rounds?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I believe Fisch had a lot to do with our acquiring Hurns, Linder, and Morris.  Two out of three 'ain't bad.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."