Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell the upcoming best NFL GM?

Year 4 and year 5's record will show how good of a GM he really is.

That is the best, most objective way of measuring how good of a job he is doing.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Calm down, let's win a playoff game or two, or make the playoffs or how about have a winning record??
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

Quote:For a relatively new GM the man has been incredible. He's build this offense first like he said he would. He tore everything down and has us with the most cap space while we already have a playoff caliber offense. I have no doubt he can fix this defense.

Before you crown him as the best GM ever shouldn't he be the GM of a team that wins more than .25% of the games for the last 3 seasons?

Go Jags!

Quote:For a relatively new GM the man has been incredible. He's build this offense first like he said he would. He tore everything down and has us with the most cap space while we already have a playoff caliber offense. I have no doubt he can fix this defense.
Incredible is a fairly strong word.  Cap space is nice, but until it translates into quality players on the roster, it doesn't mean much.  I wouldn't quite call it a playoff caliber offense yet.  The O line still needs improvement and Bortles has to cut down on the stupid mistakes before we get to that level.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016, 04:41 AM by BritJag.)

He is incredible.  We won 5 out of 16 games in his 3rd season...his most in one season with the franchise.

We call it incredible here...

Just keep Shack away, with those average seasons and playoff berths...

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:He is incredible.  We won 5 out of 16 games in his 3rd season...his most in one season with the franchise.

Pretty funny how people loved to hate on Shack, yet they loved Gene Smith mediocrity and called him a genius. Now they love Caldwell too (who is not bad at all but it is not the greatest either).

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Quote:He is incredible.  We won 5 out of 16 games in his 3rd season...his most in one season with the franchise.

I got to agree here.  When a whopping 5 win season is the top of your resume it raises questions.  Lots of head scratchers around here

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:First and foremost...

Gus was his hire.  If that ends up being a blemish, it could be a very big one.  HUGE

I see nothing to support what you're saying so far.  He hasn't been particularly good at landing key free agents.  He's landed a few second tier guys but missed on nearly all, if not every single high profile one.

He's found good value in the draft, and has put into place offensive foundations at QB and WR.  But OL is still woefully lacking (though he did find Linder - our best OL, or was that merely because Jedd Fisch was in Dave's ear?,) and it would appear he may have a "blind spot" for selecting defensive talent.  Telvin has great individual stats but I'm not sure I'd consider his play game changing.

By the time we plucked him from Atlanta, things were eerily similar to what they are here.

Atlanta (via a massive trade) found itself one of the best WRs in the league.  They had not found their LT, and RB was a question mark around their star QB.  Atlanta's defense dropped from 12 to 24 his final year, then 32... all the way to the bottom the year after.  With his players.

I certainly hope he can do for the defensive talent what he's done for parts of the offense.  But I haven't seen him do that anywhere.  Yet.  Hope he can, and does.  But the track record isn't good.  He's on pace to get his coach fired again if he can't find and acquire enough defensive talent to lift this team.
This is the best assessment.

Even with the current Broncos' rosters, it is doubtful that Gus could reach the Superbowl let alone winning it. So no matter how well Dave assembles the rosters, Gus will drag him down. The best GM title will have to wait another day.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM by leopold332002.)

Quote:Before you crown him as the best GM ever shouldn't he be the GM of a team that wins more than .25% of the games for the last 3 seasons?

Go Jags!

Quote:Incredible is a fairly strong word.  Cap space is nice, but until it translates into quality players on the roster, it doesn't mean much.  I wouldn't quite call it a playoff caliber offense yet.  The O line still needs improvement and Bortles has to cut down on the stupid mistakes before we get to that level.

Quote:Pretty funny how people loved to hate on Shack, yet they loved Gene Smith mediocrity and called him a genius. Now they love Caldwell too (who is not bad at all but it is not the greatest either).

Post like this can be so narrow minded and borderline ignorant that when assessing Caldwell tenure because all of you are looking for the wrong things as far as judging his time as GM. First of all he took over a historically bad roster and had to rebuild it from scratch so for people to judge him on wins and losses is asinine. Shack Harris on the other hand took over a great roster with probowlers on the d-line (stroud, henderson), running back ( taylor ) back up qb (garrard), strong safety (donovin darius) and wide receiver (smith). Despite harris bad drafting he just kept the team status quo and in Gene Smith's case he basically turned an ok roster when he took over (garrard, mjd, mathis on the decline, brad meester, d smith) and burned it to the ground. Smith was probably the worst GM in the history of the NFL and partly the reason why this team and fanbase was apathetic towards one another. I'm not saying Dave Caldwell is the best GM in the history of this franchise because that title goes to Tom Coughlin until further notice. However, he is doing a great job with this team and his best draft picks (bortles probowl qb if he was medically cleared, a-rob probowl wr, linder who was on all rookie team, and hurns undrafted wr who was signed by him can compete if not dominated Gene Smith and Shack Harris best draft picks and he's not in his fourth year. All i'm saying is don't judge Caldwell roster on wins and losses just yet until the roster is complete but you can judge him on quality of players and his resume at this point can compete with anybody on the NFL level. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

If we add 1) secondary + pass rush in free agency, and draft 2) secondary + free agency, our defence should change dramatically.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:Post like this can be so narrow minded and borderline ignorant that when assessing Caldwell tenure because all of you are looking for the wrong things as far as judging his time as GM. First of all he took over a historically bad roster and had to rebuild it from scratch so for people to judge him on wins and losses is asinine. Shack Harris on the other hand took over a great roster with probowlers on the d-line (stroud, henderson), running back ( taylor ) back up qb (garrard), strong safety (donovin darius) and wide receiver (smith). Despite harris bad drafting he just kept the team status quo and in Gene Smith's case he basically turned an ok roster when he took over (garrard, mjd, mathis on the decline, brad meester, d smith) and burned it to the ground. Smith was probably the worst GM in the history of the NFL and partly the reason why this team and fanbase was apathetic towards one another. I'm not saying Dave Caldwell is the best GM in the history of this franchise because that title goes to Tom Coughlin until further notice. However, he is doing a great job with this team and his best draft picks (bortles probowl qb if he was medically cleared, a-rob probowl wr, linder who was on all rookie team, and hurns undrafted wr who was signed by him can compete if not dominated Gene Smith and Shack Harris best draft picks and he's not in his fourth year. All i'm saying is don't judge Caldwell roster on wins and losses just yet until the roster is complete but you can judge him on quality of players and his resume at this point can compete with anybody on the NFL level.

Ok Caldwell took a team who went 5-11 and 2-14 before he got there and turned it into a young team that went 4-12, 3-13, and 5-11.

Nobody is saying to only look at his record, but you can't ignore the record either.

How we do in year 4 and 5 will be the only measuring stick for how good of a GM he really is.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Playoff caliber offense, I wouldnt say that just yet. They have the potential too be one tho. . Caldwell is about middle of the road when it comes to gm...Once his moves translate into wins then he can even consider being a top tier gm. But until then middle if not lower..

You're trippin if you don't think another HC could have done better with last years roster.

Our offense was greatly improved and yet we managed 5 wins? It's not like our defense got markedly worse. They stunk in 2015 just as much as they did in 2014. 

Caldwell is assembling talent while Gus is stinking up the joint.

Quote:You're trippin if you don't think another HC could have done better with last years roster.

Our offense was greatly improved and yet we managed 5 wins? It's not like our defense got markedly worse. They stunk in 2015 just as much as they did in 2014. 

Caldwell is assembling talent while Gus is stinking up the joint.

I'm not defending Gus at all, I have my own complaints on him, but you are absolutely blind if you didn't see the regression in pass rush from 2014 to 2015.

It literally fell off a cliff. 

I do think a more disciplined team with a few tweaks could have scraped out 7 wins last year and there are probably a few HCs around that would have figured out a way to do it  --  but dude, that front four was NOT getting pressure last year. 

Up and coming best GM?

-shrug-

Best up and coming GM?

Maybe.

Here's the dealio.... Yr 1 Rookie GM hires Rookie coach and decides to start a plan that is rarely done in "Cut, Gut, Start from Scratch, and re-tool"

The overall talent pool of 2013's draft was weak. He could have done better, made some wiser choices, but for us, hindsight is a beautiful thing.

But some free agents brought in have been very good for us. Some have missed; which is almost always the case with any GM.

Yr 2, he probably has one of the best drafts and offseasons the Jags have seen, and probably up there with best evers from anyones..... but it is still early and lots could change.

Year 3 was a mixed bag, our first round selection was hurt, our FA TE was hurt and a non factor for most of the season. Other injuries exposed a lack in depth and play-makers on the Dline is still an eye sore. 

People dog the signings of certain guys like Clem and Red, but in year 2 those guys had this defense over-achieving which left you guys thinking it should be better than it was this year. 

Caldwell just needs to hit this year, a solid FA class. The draft will unfold however it does... but with 2 or 3 key FAs on the defensive side of the ball this won't even be a question.

I dare anyone to point out a GM that hasn't signed some free agents looking for a pass rush and missed.

I don't know if he is the best GM, or the best young GM or up and comer.....

But he's the best we've seen since the TC days....and he's better than whatever has been happening in places like Cleveland and New Orleans as of recently.

And I ain't interested in starting over with some other guys vision.... This one actually looks pretty good (despite the losing records).

Quote:I'm not defending Gus at all, I have my own complaints on him, but you are absolutely blind if you didn't see the regression in pass rush from 2014 to 2015.

It literally fell off a cliff. 

I do think a more disciplined team with a few tweaks could have scraped out 7 wins last year and there are probably a few HCs around that would have figured out a way to do it  --  but dude, that front four was NOT getting pressure last year. 
I think they drafted Fowler knowing the production would take a hit (I think they know it over-achieved the previous season). Clemons in a back up role would have been better, and we all probably expected too much from Branch. Pass rush was not addressed enough beyond the drafting of Fowler and that is one thing I will put on DC.

Not sure our players regressed in skill or technique from one season to the next, the predictability of our defense (Babich) and age caught up to the fact that we still didn't have premium skill on the line missing Marks and Fowler, with Clem being old... or whatever his issue was.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016, 10:18 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

Quote:Post like this can be so narrow minded and borderline ignorant that when assessing Caldwell tenure because all of you are looking for the wrong things as far as judging his time as GM. First of all he took over a historically bad roster and had to rebuild it from scratch so for people to judge him on wins and losses is asinine. Shack Harris on the other hand took over a great roster with probowlers on the d-line (stroud, henderson), running back ( taylor ) back up qb (garrard), strong safety (donovin darius) and wide receiver (smith). Despite harris bad drafting he just kept the team status quo and in Gene Smith's case he basically turned an ok roster when he took over (garrard, mjd, mathis on the decline, brad meester, d smith) and burned it to the ground. Smith was probably the worst GM in the history of the NFL and partly the reason why this team and fanbase was apathetic towards one another. I'm not saying Dave Caldwell is the best GM in the history of this franchise because that title goes to Tom Coughlin until further notice. However, he is doing a great job with this team and his best draft picks (bortles probowl qb if he was medically cleared, a-rob probowl wr, linder who was on all rookie team, and hurns undrafted wr who was signed by him can compete if not dominated Gene Smith and Shack Harris best draft picks and he's not in his fourth year. All i'm saying is don't judge Caldwell roster on wins and losses just yet until the roster is complete but you can judge him on quality of players and his resume at this point can compete with anybody on the NFL level. 

Keep crying.

Caldwell hasn't been great or incredible.

Again, 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Gerhart is garbage

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Beadles is garbage

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Released Forsett 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Joeckel is garbage - people here love to forget/underrate Ansah but if he was a Jag they would be saying he is better than Watt

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Clemons meh

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Hood did nothing

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Red Bryant meh

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Cyprien sucks

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Gratz sucks

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Traded Monroe - who was better than Joeckel

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Let Daryl Smith walk who has been pretty good for the Ravens

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">And the worst of all, his choice for a HC was garbage too.

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Is "Like a Boss" the new "In Gene We Trust?"

I fault no one for rooting for the team to succeed.

At some point there needs to be celebrating of success, not just the rooting for it.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Winning, a criteria for this accolade?
Exactly. Possibly one of the most insane post I've seen on here. People on here nitpicking draft picks and free agents moves; how about he's never gotten close to producing a winning season not once since being there. That tends to make or break if you're the "best gm" in the league.

Quote:Keep crying.

Caldwell hasn't been great or incredible.

Again,

Gerhart is garbage

Beadles is garbage

Released Forsett

Joeckel is garbage - people here love to forget/underrate Ansah but if he was a Jag they would be saying he is better than Watt

Clemons meh

Hood did nothing

Red Bryant meh

Cyprien sucks

Gratz sucks

Traded Monroe - who was better than Joeckel

Let Daryl Smith walk who has been pretty good for the Ravens

And the worst of all, his choice for a HC was garbage too.

The 5-11 Ravens will be releasing both Smith and Forsett soon. So, if we really want either back, I'm sure we can have them.