Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell the upcoming best NFL GM?

If the Jaguars go for a RB in Free Agency you would have to think that it would be Matt Forte

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Why hold the signing of Ziggy Hood and the likes against Caldwell. What did you expect?

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM by StitchJones.)

Quote:I got to agree here.  When a whopping 5 win season is the top of your resume it raises questions.  Lots of head scratchers around here
So he hasn't yet had a winning season as a GM; but remember, that was expected by most who understood what the gutting of this team would mean. This was not a short term, quick fix solution but one that would require more time. It is still thought that in the end it will produce an overall stronger team with potential to become regular, legitimate, contenders for playoffs berths... playoff berths which were the result of superior league performance and not due to extraordinary bad competition in our own division.

Nevertheless, at this time we really don't know if Dave will earn the compliment of being said to be an 'extraordinary' GM. So far, he's done alright for the most part, but he hasn't actually done anything which most would regard as 'exceptional'. Of course, when compared to prior GM's here like Gene Smith or Shack Harris, he seems terrific! But that's like comparing a moderately nice looking girl to a bunch of homely girls... of course she is going to stand out and seem exceptional in that crowd! Same thing with Dave Caldwell as a GM here.

The best thing Dave has done so far is the acquisition of what we think is our franchise quarterback, and that is a big deal. He has also given Bortles some good weapons in the receiver corps and a decent running back. Regrettably, the list of players he has brought here who have been..(ahem..) 'less than stellar' has been long too. We know the names too well; Gerhart, Beadles, Joeckel, Hood, Gratz... the list goes on. And then let us not forget he brought our current HC here too.

Quote:If the Jaguars go for a RB in Free Agency you would have to think that it would be Matt Forte

Matt Forte is not coming to Jacksonville. He's going to chase a ring.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:Matt Forte is not coming to Jacksonville. He's going to chase a ring.
And that's probably the case for a lot of older FA's.

Quote:The 5-11 Ravens will be releasing both Smith and Forsett soon. So, if we really want either back, I'm sure we can have them.

I'll just leave this here.

Quote:I'll just leave this here.

It sure would be been nice to have Daryl the past 3 years.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Of course, when compared to prior GM's here like Gene Smith or Shack Harris, he seems terrific!

Shack was decent. Way better than Gene.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Shack was decent. Way better than Gene.
Yes, he was. But then again, my grandmother would've been superior to Gene Smith.

Quote:Yes, he was. But then again, my grandmother would've been superior to Gene Smith.

Haha, yes it's relative.  Shack was probably better than he was given credit for at the time but compared to Smith anyone could look good.  

For the other posters, as far as Caldwell, it's still early.  If he can do to the defense this year what he's did for the offense last year you definitely gotta consider him one of the bright stars of the GMs.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:The 5-11 Ravens will be releasing both Smith and Forsett soon. So, if we really want either back, I'm sure we can have them.
Bump

I wouldnt crown him yet! He is far better then Gene Smith tho..

Quote:He's done well so far, but he has made his fair share of mistakes.  The team still sucks, and I'm not sure if it's just Bradley or both of them.
I retract my previous statement.  It's Bradley.  Caldwell has done great.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Caldwell has done a good job.  He's whiffed a couple of times, but he's hit way more than he's missed.  Wouldn't call him the EOY just yet, but he's definitely done a credible job.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Lol

Lol

Good GM. Not great, not bad. Has mistakes, and makes good moves. Doesn't do anything really stupid. The team is talented. We should be glad to have him.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Agreed.  But now that he is on every other teams radar.  What will see if he still can make great deals.  When it will be much harder too.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:This is his big year. We get 9 wins this year he's a genius.

We get 6 he is probably fired alongside Bradley.

He was using gene Smith's scouts in 2013 but since he brought in his own people he has drafted well.

In free agency he has gambled and lost alot but despite his gambles our cap situation is extremely good.

Overall I feel positive

He won't be fired if we only get 6 wins. Bradley and his scheme will be fired.

Caldwell has done an outstanding job.

Quote:First and foremost...

Gus was his hire.  If that ends up being a blemish, it could be a very big one.  HUGE

I see nothing to support what you're saying so far.  He hasn't been particularly good at landing key free agents.  He's landed a few second tier guys but missed on nearly all, if not every single high profile one.

He's found good value in the draft, and has put into place offensive foundations at QB and WR.  But OL is still woefully lacking (though he did find Linder - our best OL, or was that merely because Jedd Fisch was in Dave's ear?,) and it would appear he may have a "blind spot" for selecting defensive talent.  Telvin has great individual stats but I'm not sure I'd consider his play game changing.

By the time we plucked him from Atlanta, things were eerily similar to what they are here.

Atlanta (via a massive trade) found itself one of the best WRs in the league.  They had not found their LT, and RB was a question mark around their star QB.  Atlanta's defense dropped from 12 to 24 his final year, then 32... all the way to the bottom the year after.  With his players.

I certainly hope he can do for the defensive talent what he's done for parts of the offense.  But I haven't seen him do that anywhere.  Yet.  Hope he can, and does.  But the track record isn't good.  He's on pace to get his coach fired again if he can't find and acquire enough defensive talent to lift this team.

what the.... is this the pirkster that defended gene smith to know end despite 100 times worse results than caldwell?  wow... how some have grown to look at things objectively.

I do like caldwell compared to what we have had in the past, but he has by no means shown to be a top tier GM, so I agree with you.  And I also agree that his hiring and continuing to stay by Gus is possibly becoming an absolutely massive blemish.

This coach continues to look like he has no business coaching anyone other than pop warner with his naive personality