Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Randy Gregory suspended

Per <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/NFL'>@<b>NFL</b></a> drug policy, Randy Gregory failed 4 tests. 1st at combine -- in the program. Then 2-gm fine, then 4-gm fine, then 4-gm suspension

This is why Dave passed on this guy.  Spence is the guy in this class with red flags.  No thanks

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Per @<b>NFL</b> drug policy, Randy Gregory failed 4 tests. 1st at combine -- in the program. Then 2-gm fine, then 4-gm fine, then 4-gm suspension

This is why Dave passed on this guy.  Spence is the guy in this class with red flags.  No thanks
Agreed completely.

Thing is, in these cases there is often a balancing between the off field red flags and the on field talent.

However, his on field talent never became evident for Dallas last year.  It's my understanding he did not get much playing time anyway.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Agreed completely.

Thing is, in these cases there is often a balancing between the off field red flags and the on field talent.

However, his on field talent never became evident for Dallas last year.  It's my understanding he did not get much playing time anyway.

In the Cowboys games I saw,  Randy Gregory seemed closer to an afterthought than a key part of their DE rotation.   Knowing Rod Marinelli,  he's not going to tolerate players that don't have passion/  football character. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Jerry Jones went against the judgment of the football people in the Cowboys organization in taking Randy Gregory in the latter 2nd Round.

Wasn't a bad 2nd round pick.

Quote:  Spence is the guy in this class with red flags.  No thanks
Kinda. Gregory failed drug tests all through college, at the combine, and three times since the combine. Spence hasn't failed any of his multitude of drug tests in over two years now. It's a bit of a concern, but not nearly the same level. 

Was so happy when we passed on him. Just another head case who doesn't know when to quit..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Per <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/NFL'>@NFL</a> drug policy, Randy Gregory failed 4 tests. 1st at combine -- in the program. Then 2-gm fine, then 4-gm fine, then 4-gm suspension

This is why Dave passed on this guy. Spence is the guy in this class with red flags. No thanks

Except Spence hasn't failed a drug test since he's been at EKU...

Didnt like him even before the failed drug test

Spence has been clean for a few years so not the same

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

:|

^This is my surprised face.

Gregory's suspension will give some edge rush needy GMs heartburn in the draftroom if Spence is on the board.  However, I still don't see him falling below pick 15 or so.  I think both Miami at 8 and Tampa at 9 will be looking very seriously at Spence.   

Quote:Didnt like him even before the failed drug test

Spence has been clean for a few years so not the same

Bingo. Spence got punished and then has seemingly turned things around. Looks like he learned a lesson early enough
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Love when it happens to the Cowboys.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Gregory's suspension will give some edge rush needy GMs heartburn in the draftroom if Spence is on the board. However, I still don't see him falling below pick 15 or so. I think both Miami at 8 and Tampa at 9 will be looking very seriously at Spence.

The situations aren't even comparable. Gregory has failed darn near every drug test he taken in the last year while Spence has passed his and apparently told the EKU coaches that they should test him MORE.

Quote:The situations aren't even comparable. Gregory has failed darn near every drug test he taken in the last year while Spence has passed his and apparently told the EKU coaches that they should test him MORE.
I would say the situations are comparable, in that both players have failed drug tests while in college and are considered potentially top rated pass rushers in a draft.  I would agree that Gregory's "drug flag was flying higher"...but they both carry the same flag coming into the draft.    

That's why the value must match the pick.

I wouldn't mind at all pulling the trigger on players like Gregory or Burfict.

At the right price.

Headaches not withstanding, Burfict was an example of good value.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Wasn't a bad 2nd round pick.

I agree.

We drafted a #1 pick that was clean/not risky and we still lost him for a year.

There is only so much prevention you can do, whether it's behavior or injury.

I thought JPP was a risk coming out of school.  It took a while, those concerns came true.  There's a balance between talent and risk, and you can't ignore the risk.  It must be factored.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I would say the situations are comparable, in that both players have failed drug tests while in college and are considered potentially top rated pass rushers in a draft.  I would agree that Gregory's "drug flag was flying higher"...but they both carry the same flag coming into the draft.    

Except Gregory failed his during the most important year in his life and has shown he hasn't learned from it by failing every single test afterward. Noah hasn't failed one once since getting booted from OSU. Timing and context is everything when trying to compare the two of them.

Quote:Except Gregory failed his during the most important year in his life and has shown he hasn't learned from it by failing every single test afterward. Noah hasn't failed one once since getting booted from OSU. Timing and context is everything when trying to compare the two of them.
Of course, every situation is different, and the balance of risk and reward is going to be viewed by each GM analyzing Spence.  Although it was not ectasy, his drug of previous troubles, he did get arrested this past May for public intoxication and disorderly conduct.  I support the guy, personally, but the fact is he does have a red flag that will be scrutinized closely by teams.  

He was cited, not arrested. And it was simply because he missed a trash can while throwing away a beer bottle and a cop saw him. It's pretty much irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things.

Quote:He was cited, not arrested. And it was simply because he missed a trash can while throwing away a beer bottle and a cop saw him. It's pretty much irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things.

Its not irrelevant.