Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Swann questions Calvin Johnson's HOF credentials

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-s...16422.html

Swann caught 330+ balls for less than 6000k yards in 9 years. Don't think he gets to be the gatekeeper.....

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

In that era? Please.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:In that era? Please.

Yup. DBs could actually hit then and disrupt routes.
Huh

Quote:In that era? Please.

Seriously?  Even in that era he was questionable.  He made it into the Hall of Fame for one simple reason, he was on the Steelers. 

It's just like Boselli's chances for making the Hall would tremendously increase if he played for the Giants or the Packers.....the team you play for has a huge effect on your chances.  Swann was a great player, but to act like Calvin Johnson wasn't one of the best ever is laughable.  He made some of the best athletes in the world look average.

Swann is wrong.  Calvin Johnson has been one of the best at his position.  In 9 seasons, he has almost 12k yards.  He should be a slam dunk HOF candidate.

Stallworth played 3 more years and caught 200 more balls, 3000 more yards, and 10 more TDS and somehow made the Hall a year AFTER Swann....

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Well, it was a totally different era in the 70's. Defensive backs were actually allowed to defend with contact (as compared to this era where a DB can't even breathe on a WR or give them a real hard shot after a reception without getting flagged/fined/suspended).

With the advent of video games and fantasy football,, numbers are mostly what a majority of fans look at these days.

Swann is practically famous for his acrobatic catches in Superbowl.

One key term for the HOF that has seemed to be forgotten is "Fame". It's the Hall of Fame,, not the Hall of Numbers.

Swann needs to shut his suck. He questions Johnson's ability as far as making his team better. His teams have had nothing around him to elevate. He was a huge fish in a small pond team wise. 

Take Swann off of the Steelers teams that he won titles on, and they still win those games. Swann wasn't even the best wideout on his own team! Had Johnson been on the team Swann would have been watching Stallworth and Johnson from the sidelines more often than not.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Swann needs to shut his suck. He questions Johnson's ability as far as making his team better. His teams have had nothing around him to elevate. He was a huge fish in a small pond team wise. 

Take Swann off of the Steelers teams that he won titles on, and they still win those games. Swann wasn't even the best wideout on his own team! Had Johnson been on the team Swann would have been watching Stallworth and Johnson from the sidelines more often than not.

Good point.  If Detroit didn't have Calvin Johnson they would have been a consistent bottom of the barrel team.  Stafford couldn't just chuck it up and pray anymore.

Quote:Swann needs to shut his suck. He questions Johnson's ability as far as making his team better. His teams have had nothing around him to elevate. He was a huge fish in a small pond team wise.

I agree. I should've stated in my post above that "Swann is ONLY famous for his acrobatic catches on the Superbowl".

He really wasn't known for much else (that I can recall).

Anyway, I think he's wrong. Calvin should be put in the HOF IMO.

Quote:I agree. I should've stated in my post above that "Swann is ONLY famous for his acrobatic catches on the Superbowl".

He really wasn't known for much else (that I can recall).

Anyway, I think he's wrong. Calvin should be put in the HOF IMO.
Oh not a problem. I know what you were trying to say in your original post. And you are right he is known for a couple big catches in the Super Bowl.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Swann gained fame for spectacular catches in big games. His case is similar to Joe Namath's, whose career stats are ok, not great, and he only played in one Super Bowl and only had three winning seasons, but the Jets victory in SB III essentially forced the NFL-AFL merger. Plus, he was the league's first real media superstar.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Swann gained fame for spectacular catches in big games. His case is similar to Joe Namath's, whose career stats are ok, not great, and he only played in one Super Bowl and only had three winning seasons, but the Jets victory in SB III essentially forced the NFL-AFL merger. Plus, he was the league's first real media superstar.

I don't doubt Swann should be in the Hall of Fame simply for that reason alone, but to come out and talk about a guys stats when his play on the field simply out does yours, his athleticism is better than yours, and consistently throughout his career he made better plays than you seems a bit disingenuous.

To be fair, you can't compare players from different eras when it comes to physical measurables. Linemen were only 270 back then.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Swann is a idiot. He made the HOF because of one catch in the SB and because he is a Steeler

Quote:I don't doubt Swann should be in the Hall of Fame simply for that reason alone, but to come out and talk about a guys stats when his play on the field simply out does yours, his athleticism is better than yours, and consistently throughout his career he made better plays than you seems a bit disingenuous.

My gut feeling is Lynn Swann is trying to validate his own place in the Pro Football HOF.

If Swann's logic is used,  Ernie Banks wouldn't be in the Baseball HOF.

Or Ted Williams....

Quote: My gut feeling is Lynn Swann is trying to validate his own place in the Pro Football HOF.

If Swann's logic is used, Ernie Banks wouldn't be in the Baseball HOF.

Quote:Or Ted Williams....

From Lynn Swann's perspective,  Ted Williams might not even be HOF worthy being that he was never on a World Series winning team and didn't have impact in the only W.S. he was in because of injury.   

I respect Swann's accomplishments as a player and enjoyed watching him play.   Yet,  the Steelers running game alone put Swann in favorable situations that have been the exception,  not the norm for Calvin Johnson.

Quote:  My gut feeling is Lynn Swann is trying to validate his own place in the Pro Football HOF.

If Swann's logic is used,  Ernie Banks wouldn't be in the Baseball HOF.

I think that's most likely it.  Swann was the Calvin Johnson of his time, so putting him down doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think the Hall of Fame needs to be brought back into perspective.  Now a days it is all about stats and who has the most of what.  Longevity has become too important to making it in, and even I am guilty of having that mind set. 

A guy like Tony Boselli was the best offensive tackle in the league (arguably) for a good 3-4 year run and he was mean and nasty.  Yes, his career was cut short, but that doesn't mean that he should be forgotten because of it.