Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pass rusher at #5?

With the uncertainty of Fowler and the lack of quality rushers hitting free agency I think if we won't sign Vernon it's gonna be the best available pass rusher at 5. Could be Spence, Bosa, or Buckner?

Or is Ramsey too good to pass up?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's possible, but deep down something tells me that Dave wouldn't want to leave his edge rush up to two rookies. I think Dave is going to be super aggressive in getting a vet in here that will rotate with Dante. I like Bosa because I think he could handle the 5T, which would push Odrik inside to the 3T and allow Marks' role to concentrate on 3rd downs (where Dave said they missed him most).

For the record, I am a big fan of Spence... Just trying to get in the head of Dave. An interesting thought would be signing an older vet like Tamba Hali and then draft Spence to give you a trio of Hali, Fowler, and Spence.

Ideally, Dave will try to patch as many holes as possible in FA and then draft BAP.

Quote:In speaking with sources, one can expect the Jacksonville Jaguars to have a draft that is heavy on defense. That isn't surprising, as the Jags played in a lot of shootouts last year. Second-year starter Blake Bortles showed massive improvement under new offensive coordinator Greg Olson. Bortles had the second-most touchdown passes in the NFL with 35 while throwing for 4,400 yards. The focus of the offseason will be upgrading the Jaguar defense that allowed teams to build leads in a lot of games and put Borltes in comeback mode on a nearly weekly basis. In the first round of the draft, it sounds like Jacksonville's initial preference is to go with a pass-rusher over a cornerback. That could be considered surprising with 2015 third-overall pick Dante Fowler coming back from his ACL tear. However, Fowler is an unknown commodity who may need time to develop, and who knows if his injury will have a hangover into what is essentially his rookie season. Thus, taking another end to go on the other side from him could make sense. Potential targets include Oregon's DeForest Buckner and Ohio State's Joey Bosa. Of course, sources also say that a shutdown corner is in play. If the Jaguars had equally graded prospects available at corner or edge rusher, the inclination is towards the latter. 

No Ramsey is not too good to pass up and since it's looking like no edge rushers will be available in FA Caldwell's hand will be forced to draft one at 5. The only question is if he's smart enough to draft the right one (Spence). Hopefully San Diego and Dallas make the decision for him by drafting Buckner and Bosa because I feel like if all three were available Caldwell is the type to get fooled into drafting the bigger players not understanding the nuances that go with the position.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:It's possible, but deep down something tells me that Dave wouldn't want to leave his edge rush up to two rookies. I think Dave is going to be super aggressive in getting a vet in here that will rotate with Dante. I like Bosa because I think he could handle the 5T, which would push Odrik inside to the 3T and allow Marks' role to concentrate on 3rd downs (where Dave said they missed him most).

For the record, I am a big fan of Spence... Just trying to get in the head of Dave. An interesting thought would be signing an older vet like Tamba Hali and then draft Spence to give you a trio of Hali, Fowler, and Spence.

Ideally, Dave will try to patch as many holes as possible in FA and then draft BAP.
I doesn't matter if he doesn't want to, he probably won't have a say in the matter. Both Miller and Vernon are being retained. Overpaying Mario Williams is and saying you fixed the pass rush is not going to fix anything. I see no way that the 5th pick is not a pass rusher at this point.

Quote: 

<div> 
No Ramsey is not too good to pass up and since it's looking like no edge rushers will be available in FA Caldwell's hand will be forced to draft one at 5. The only question is if he's smart enough to draft the right one (Spence). Hopefully San Diego and Dallas make the decision for him by drafting Buckner and Bosa because I feel like if all three were available Caldwell is the type to get fooled into drafting the bigger players not understanding the nuances that go with the position.

</div>
You really think that a man that earned a job that only 31 other people in the world hold doesn't understand the nuances of a position on a football team? He may end up not drafting the best player, but that's not because he doesn't understand what goes into being a good player. 

Quote:You really think that a man that earned a job that only 31 other people in the world hold doesn't understand the nuances of a position on a football team? He may end up not drafting the best player, but that's not because he doesn't understand what goes into being a good player. 

What can we say? Bend nuances fool the best of them.

Then he values the wrong traits.

Quote: 

<div> 

</div>

My money's on Caldwell being smarter than you think. 

Quote:Then he values the wrong traits.
So you're basically saying, if Dave doesn't draft the player you like the best, he's not smart? So, you're then really saying you know more about player evaluation than a professional football league general manager. Who, btw has access to professional scouts, interviews with the actual player, conversations with people in the know, conversations with their old college coach, etc. 

It is a copycat league.  The argument for the pass rusher at 1-5 just got stronger following the Super Bowl.  In an interview a few weeks back, I think it was Dave, Gus, or maybe the head scout (getting old stinks), that surprised me when he said don't be surprised if the Jags pick up 2-3 pass rushers.  I was thinking 1 or 2 at most.  My current thinking...  I could see DC going with a free agent safety like Weddle to be a stopgap, draft a free safety later in the draft to develop behind the vet, take the best edge pass rusher at 1-5, and sign a vet edge pass rusher like a Tamba Hali.  If he takes Ramsey with 1-5, it will only happen if he picks up a stud pass rusher in free agency, if available.          

Quote:So you're basically saying, if Dave doesn't draft the player you like the best, he's not smart? So, you're then really saying you know more about player evaluation than a professional football league general manager. Who, btw has access to professional scouts, interviews with the actual player, conversations with people in the know, conversations with their old college coach, etc.
Lol

Spence or bust for some people I guess.

Ramsey or bust for some people I guess.

Me? I'm cool with Ramsey, Spence, Bosa or Jack. FA will give us a much clearer understanding of who we will take.

I want lije at least 3 new pass rushers this off season

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016, 11:45 PM by wg171.)

The Jags will be in position to take Bosa, Ramsey, Jack or Spence.

Hopefully DC is able to do enough in FA to allow him to draft BDPA

However, if the Jags cannot sign Vernon in FA I believe the "need" for a pass rusher at least doubles making Spence at #5 very realistic...and I'm not a fan of drafting for need in the first couple of rounds

Quote: 

<div> 

</div>
Maybe I'm wrong here, but weren't you one of the guys wanting to draft Buckner at #5, just a couple weeks ago? Saying something like he's Calais Campbell 2.0?

Quote:Maybe I'm wrong here, but weren't you one of the guys wanting to draft Buckner at #5, just a couple weeks ago? Saying something like he's Calais Campbell 2.0?
it was Buckner then Ramsey and now Spence, wonder who it will be next week

The "too good to pass up" mentality is how you end up with Tyson Alualu and Bryan Anger on your team.

I'd certainly prefer to see a defensive back drafted, but if a mid-tier pass rusher is all the Jaguars are able to get and a guy like Bosa is there at five, yeah, you'd have to at least have a long talk about which has a greater effect on the other: the pass rush or the secondary.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2016, 01:59 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:The "too good to pass up" mentality is how you end up with Tyson Alualu and Bryan Anger on your team.

I'd certainly prefer to see a defensive back drafted, but if a mid-tier pass rusher is all the Jaguars are able to get and a guy like Bosa is there at five, yeah, you'd have to at least have a long talk about which has a greater effect on the other: the pass rush or the secondary.
you dont draft a pass rusher just because he is a past rusher unless he is BPA. Draft BPA, every position on defense is a need

Quote:The "too good to pass up" mentality is how you end up with Tyson Alualu and Bryan Anger on your team.

And can also get you Khalil Mack.

That argument goes both ways.
Shock the world

When I ask myself "which defensive player is most likely to be a perennial probowler" I continue to end up on Myles Jack. We may not need LBer quite as much a Dline or DBs, but damn, Jack is going to be hard to pass up imo.

Quote:Maybe I'm wrong here, but weren't you one of the guys wanting to draft Buckner at #5, just a couple weeks ago? Saying something like he's Calais Campbell 2.0?
 I acknowledged it was a possibility and that people shouldn't discount it as people on this forum did not realize the level prospect Buckner was. I didn't consider Spence a possibility because of his off-field but if that's behind him he is a far better get.