Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Newton could use a little more modesty and dignity

Quote:Preseason or not the leader of the team should have some self control conduct himself as a leader.

I think being totally engaged in a play while the defense is on the field and then wanting to celebrate your teammate's play is a sign of a great leader. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Yeah, leaders of teams never make mistakes. Ever. I'm pretty sure the rest of the team and the coaches questioned his leadership after he got too excited someone else was making a play.
Never said they don't. And leadership is leading by example. If you make a habit of making bad decisions that make the team look bad, or yourself looking foolish on or off the field, that doesn't really inspire confidence from the coaches or set a good example for the rest of the guys.

Not speaking of Newton specifically here, there are enough examples of stupid behavior to go around in the NFL.

Quote:Never said they don't. And leadership is leading by example. If you make a habit of making bad decisions that make the team look bad, or yourself looking foolish on or off the field, that doesn't really inspire confidence from the coaches or set a good example for the rest of the guys.

Not speaking of Newton specifically here, there are enough examples of stupid behavior to go around in the NFL.

The bolded was not to make it seem like you said it, but to point out the nitpicking that goes on with this guy. Last year, his top receiving threat was lost for the year. All he did was guide those guys to a 15-1 season with an appearance in a superbowl. Now, somebody is going to jump on here and point out their stellar defense, but it's customary to say the qb guided the team blah blah blah. Also-rans like Ted Ginn enjoyed a career year. These are the things players and coaches are going to respect. Nullifying a touchdown in the preseason won't even register because they know what he means to the team.

Much respect to you americus

Obvious to me is that many here (gator fans - fanatical and casual) hate Cam for ditching UF, then rising to greatness. Stings a bit.

To be clear, I only bumped this thread as I found his preseason penalty really funny. Thought it would garner chuckles moreso than debate here.

Wasn't trying to stir the pot, but I guess this one stills gets folks fired up.

Oops.

I could care less about all the showboating. I was a fan up until the point he didn't dive for the football in the SUPERBOWL!!!! Once that happened, now all this other stuff is just annoying from him. I don't care what anyone says, he has to dive for that ball. 

Quote:Obvious to me is that many here (gator fans - fanatical and casual) hate Cam for ditching UF, then rising to greatness. Stings a bit.

Looking through the thread, there are just as many, if not more, non gator fans that seem to dislike the guy. I doubt those fans are butt hurt about him "ditching UF".
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:I could care less about all the showboating. I was a fan up until the point he didn't dive for the football in the SUPERBOWL!!!! Once that happened, now all this other stuff is just annoying from him. I don't care what anyone says, he has to dive for that ball. 

Yeah, whether you are considered a leader of a team or a 4th string backup, you simply have to dive for that ball in the Super Bowl, especially with the fact that the game was still in doubt and you had a chance to win.

If it was a 40 point blowout at that point and the game was already decided, I could understand not diving after that loose ball (not saying it would be considered right or wrong by teammates or fans, just that I could understand it).

I remember watching it at the time and seeing Cam actually back away from the loose ball instead of instinctively diving on it and saving the possession for his team, and not really believing what I just saw. I had to rewind it and watch it several more times to make sure that him actually backing away from the loose ball instead of diving hard for it, was exactly what I saw, and it was.

As far as showboating goes, a lot of people just don't like showboats and will root against them any chance they get, and it has nothing to do with race or what school he went to or transferred from, or anything else except for the fact they they are a show-boater.

Even worse are the in your face show-boaters, a lot of people just like to see them get their taste of humble pie and Cam certainly got his in that Super Bowl and by a lot of accounts, he didn't handle it like a true leader.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I guess we can expect the team to turn on their "true leader" this fall.

Quote:Looking through the thread, there are just as many, if not more, non gator fans that seem to dislike the guy. I doubt those fans are butt hurt about him "ditching UF".

LOL whatever.

It's a "consensus" in North Florida - and on Jaguars.com following suit - that Cam Newton is to be hated. This is due in large part to Cam leaving UF, playing for a rival, achieving successes of the highest level, plus kicking their behinds repeatedly.

To them - He will forever be judged as "guilty" and a career criminal.

Quote:Obvious to me is that many here (gator fans - fanatical and casual) hate Cam for ditching UF, then rising to greatness. Stings a bit.

Not being a Gator, nor a fan...

Obvious to me you're simply trolling those who are.

Pattern of behavior on your part.  Not just this topic, but many countless others.

Most, actually.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:LOL whatever.

It's a "consensus" in North Florida - and on Jaguars.com following suit - that Cam Newton is to be hated. This is due in large part to Cam leaving UF, playing for a rival, achieving successes of the highest level, plus kicking their behinds repeatedly.

To them - He will forever be judged as "guilty" and a career criminal.

[Image: 29dctxy.jpg]
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???