Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Newton could use a little more modesty and dignity

I don't mind Cam generally. His celebrating and dabbing and whatnot never was an issue for me.

That being said, as someone mentioned here, if you're going to do all that when things are going well, you need to be able to man up and bring a professional when they aren't either.

I don't think he needs "dignity," He needs maturity.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:.....I don't think he needs "dignity," He needs maturity.

a big slice of humble pie will help.

We'll see next year after he has time to think about things. 

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Cam showed the #1 reason why I can never root for him. All flash and "look at me" during the pregame. He didn't show the composure or body language of a winner the entire game. Overreacting, pouting, whining. Everybody loves the fun kid when things are going his way, but he turned into a frustrated 5 yr old as the game wore on. That million dollar smile turned into a 10 cent smirk real quick. No class. No heart to rally his team in a close game. Maybe if he can cut the entertainer and icon out and focus on being a football player and above all, a leader, he can turn his talents into a championship. Nothing he did on the field or the sidelines elevated the play of his teammates. When the going got tough, he just made a spectacle of himself and wore his frustrations on his sleeve. Until he learns how to be a true leader, I don't know that he ever gets a ring. Scam Newton. Don't believe the hype.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Cam should take a few pointers from his coach. Rivera handled his like a grown man with class. If you're going to live it up, dab and be cocky when things are going well, then have the man parts and man up when things aren't as well. Sore loser. Immature. Loved what Michael Irvin and Dion sanders said about it. Let's me know it's ok to feel this way... Unless they have deep underlying issues too...

Not sure why OP is getting flak about this. The delivery wasn't all that cool but I think the point stands. read comments on the articles out there about that press conference. Seems like this board has a much higher Cam tolerance level than everywhere else besides Panther territory. Not sure I get it.

Agree whole heartedly with this.  I should be shocked that anyone on this message board would jump to his defense, but I'm not.

First, not going for that fumble at the end of the game was gutless.  Your team is down 6 and has a chance to go win the Super Bowl.  You look at the ball and actually take a step back.  Your supposed to be the most physical quarterback in the league!  Step up Cam.

I haven't watched the final press conference in its entirety, but from what I've read and talked about he handled it terribly.  You can't put yourself out there as the face of the league, the MVP and then completely shut down like that after a loss.  You just can't....this is professional football and you're getting paid millions of dollars not to.  He looked like a cry baby prima donna.  I thought Cam had a lot of fun this season, but you can't have fun at your opponents expense throughout the year and not become humble when it's your time to accept a loss.

Quote:Hey racist, It's okay if you want everything to be like the good old days where african-american QB's are not relevant but you're wrong and At the end of the day for once you show some class.

He needs to show some class, huh?  Take a look in the mirror. 

In all honesty, at what point do people start getting looked at by the mods here when people start randomly calling others racist for posts?  In no way was the post he is referencing racist or demeaning.  It was his opinion and a completely valid one.  If every thread here about Cam can be derailed by the "you're a racist" argument, then we may as well ban every thread with Cam Newton in it.

Quote:Hey racist, It's okay if you want everything to be like the good old days where african-american QB's are not relevant but you're wrong and At the end of the day for once you show some class.

Nothing about skin color, whatsoever.

Nice try tho. :thumbsup:

You guys gotta admit, with that original locked thread realisticjohn started, and last nights salty presser, the guy is on cloud 9 right now.

Quote:Agree whole heartedly with this.  I should be shocked that anyone on this message board would jump to his defense, but I'm not.

First, not going for that fumble at the end of the game was gutless.  Your team is down 6 and has a chance to go win the Super Bowl.  You look at the ball and actually take a step back.  Your supposed to be the most physical quarterback in the league!  Step up Cam.

I haven't watched the final press conference in its entirety, but from what I've read and talked about he handled it terribly.  You can't put yourself out there as the face of the league, the MVP and then completely shut down like that after a loss.  You just can't....this is professional football and you're getting paid millions of dollars not to.  He looked like a cry baby prima donna.  I thought Cam had a lot of fun this season, but you can't have fun at your opponents expense throughout the year and not become humble when it's your time to accept a loss.

I think the whole press conference thing is a lot of hullabaloo over not much at all.

If he smiled and laughed like he normally does, he would be lambasted for not caring.

It is not a stretch to suggest (that failure to go for that fumble notwithstanding) that he is a competitor and wants to win.

He has probably dreamed of playing in the Super Bowl his entire life.

Not only did his team lose the game, but he probably had the worst game of his season in the process while his offense was getting their collective butts handed to them.

Though he is young, he has no guarantee of ever getting back to the Super Bowl (see Marino, Dan).

Yes, he is going to be upset.  No, he's not going to want to talk to the media after the loss.  When he did, his unhappiness was evident.

Was it the ideal way of conducting a post championship press conference?

No.

But we say we want "genuine" athletes, then we get bent out of shape when he displays genuine disappointment and emotion after a tough loss.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

While I feel like his behavior last night is affirmation of his excessive celebrating lacking class - I still feel like you guys are making mountains out of molehills.

Every single backyard or playground pickup game I played as a kid had at least one poor sport involved. A kid who was a gloating winner and a "throw the ball over the neighbors fence and go home" sore loser.

One of those kids is still one of my best friends and he still acts this way on the golf course as a 45 year old man. Does it lack class? Sure. Do I let it get to me? No.

And, please don't let the media hype train or misguided posters bait you into injecting "race."

That's not what this is about.

I was rooting for Cam last night by the way.

Quote:While I feel like his behavior last night is affirmation of his excessive celebrating lacking class - I still feel like you guys are making mountains out of molehills.

Every single backyard or playground pickup game I played as a kid had at least one poor sport involved. A kid who was a gloating winner and a "throw the ball over the neighbors fence and go home" sore loser.

One of those kids is still one of my best friends and he still acts this way on the golf course as a 45 year old man. Does it lack class? Sure. Do I let it get to me? No.

And, please don't let the media hype train or misguided posters bait you into injecting "race."

That's not what this is about.

I was rooting for Cam last night by the way.

Does he line up his put for a quadruple bogey or does he just pick it up and say "put me down for a 5"?

Quote:I think the whole press conference thing is a lot of hullabaloo over not much at all.

If he smiled and laughed like he normally does, he would be lambasted for not caring.

It is not a stretch to suggest (that failure to go for that fumble notwithstanding) that he is a competitor and wants to win.

He has probably dreamed of playing in the Super Bowl his entire life.

Not only did his team lose the game, but he probably had the worst game of his season in the process while his offense was getting their collective butts handed to them.

Though he is young, he has no guarantee of ever getting back to the Super Bowl (see Marino, Dan).

Yes, he is going to be upset.  No, he's not going to want to talk to the media after the loss.  When he did, his unhappiness was evident.

Was it the ideal way of conducting a post championship press conference?

No.

But we say we want "genuine" athletes, then we get bent out of shape when he displays genuine disappointment and emotion after a tough loss.

I don't think anyone here is saying that he should have been in a good mood during the press conference.  I think what people are saying is that he should have sat there for a solid 3 minutes and answered the questions to the media.  Why didn't he go after the fumble?  How does he feel?  Etc....the one word answers came off as sulking.  Something an 8 year old does after a loss, not a grown man.  If you are willing to dab on 'em, do the superman thing, and be happy all year during the good times you also have to be willing to accept defeat with a tad bit of humility.  That wasn't shown last night.

I think he will learn a ton from this.  I think he will look back on how he handled himself and do better in the future.  He's still a young guy.  Ron Rivera stood at the podium and you would have thought he lost a regular season game in the middle of the season.  He's a good guy to have around to show Cam the ropes.

Quote:Does he line up his put for a quadruple bogey or does he just pick it up and say "put me down for a 5"?

If I don't concede the putt at that point I'M the bad guy. LOL.

He'll pick it up unless there's money on it and he's pretty good about the score at least.

Quote:Does he line up his put for a quadruple bogey or does he just pick it up and say "put me down for a 5"?

Give me a 5 and move on...best thing to do here.

Quote:I don't think anyone here is saying that he should have been in a good mood during the press conference.  I think what people are saying is that he should have sat there for a solid 3 minutes and answered the questions to the media.  Why didn't he go after the fumble?  How does he feel?  Etc....the one word answers came off as sulking.  Something an 8 year old does after a loss, not a grown man.  If you are willing to dab on 'em, do the superman thing, and be happy all year during the good times you also have to be willing to accept defeat with a tad bit of humility.  That wasn't shown last night.

I think he will learn a ton from this.  I think he will look back on how he handled himself and do better in the future.  He's still a young guy.  Ron Rivera stood at the podium and you would have thought he lost a regular season game in the middle of the season.  He's a good guy to have around to show Cam the ropes.
What did you want him to do, don ash and sackcloth? Walk outside the stadium with a sandwich board for a day declaring his penance?  Hara kiri, perhaps?

I guarantee if you watched your lifetime dreams get obliterated despite your every effort to avoid that outcome, you would not be particularly talkative in the immediate aftermath, even if you are normally gregarious.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM by UCF Knight.)

Quote:What did you want him to do, don ash and sackcloth? Walk outside the stadium with a sandwich board for a day declaring his penance?  Hara kiri, perhaps?

I guarantee if you watched your lifetime dreams get obliterated despite your every effort to avoid that outcome, you would not be particularly talkative in the immediate aftermath, even if you are normally gregarious.

Have you watched other quarterbacks after losing a Super Bowl give postgame press conferences?  Yes, they were solemn and upset, but they talked to the media and gave good answers for the time they had to and then moved on with their lives. 

Cam acted like a baby.  People on this message board have pushed that he is the face of the league (and I agreed), the reigning MVP....the face of the league doesn't crumble like that.

Edit:  By every effort do you mean not going after that fumble?  Because there wasn't much effort there.....down 6 with a chance to win the game and you back off the ball you just fumbled and had the best chance for. 

Quote:Have you watched other quarterbacks after losing a Super Bowl give postgame press conferences?  Yes, they were solemn and upset, but they talked to the media and gave good answers for the time they had to and then moved on with their lives. 

Cam acted like a baby.  People on this message board have pushed that he is the face of the league (and I agreed), the reigning MVP....the face of the league doesn't crumble like that.

Edit:  By every effort do you mean not going after that fumble?  Because there wasn't much effort there.....down 6 with a chance to win the game and you back off the ball you just fumbled and had the best chance for. 

How you lose says far more about your character than how you win.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:How you lose says far more about your character than how you win.

That's kind of what I'm going for.  Somehow people want to turn it around by saying of course he's going to be upset losing the Super Bowl....well we all know that.  It doesn't mean you shouldn't handle your obligations to the media and sulk around.

Quote:Have you watched other quarterbacks after losing a Super Bowl give postgame press conferences?  Yes, they were solemn and upset, but they talked to the media and gave good answers for the time they had to and then moved on with their lives. 

In two different posts in this thread, I took Newton to task for not going after that fumble and said, that play aside, he was competitive.

Yes I have seen other losing QBs give post game press conferences.  I saw Cam Newton give his.  His answers were not particularly good, and he got up and walked out.

But he was true to himself with that response, for better or worse.  Just like you want him to face the music in victory or defeat, if we demand genuineness from our athletes (see:  Nawrocki's "fake smile" analysis), we (media and fans) also have to take the good with the bad.

Quote:In two different posts in this thread, I took Newton to task for not going after that fumble and said, that play aside, he was competitive.

Yes I have seen other losing QBs give post game press conferences.  I saw Cam Newton give his.  His answers were not particularly good, and he got up and walked out.

But he was true to himself with that response, for better or worse.  Just like you want him to face the music in victory or defeat, if we demand genuineness from our athletes (see:  Nawrocki's "fake smile" analysis), we (media and fans) also have to take the good with the bad.

If that's him being genuine then he should be prepared to face the criticism.  I've given Cam credit for having a lot more fun than most during games (and have also questioned going over the line at times), but he could have handled the press conference much better.  Simple as that.

Quote:I don't mind Cam generally. His celebrating and dabbing and whatnot never was an issue for me.

That being said, as someone mentioned here, if you're going to do all that when things are going well, you need to be able to man up and bring a professional when they aren't either.

I don't think he needs "dignity," He needs maturity.
This right here.

I get that he just lost the Super Bowl but he's the MVP of the league, a face of the league and the face of the Panthers. He can't do things that other players can do on his team. If that was Tolbert, no one cares. But because hes the leader, he needs to act like it when he loses.