Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Newton could use a little more modesty and dignity

If Cam did anything else people would be calling him Fake.  You can't have it both ways.

I wonder how many of these are the same people yelling at Gus Bradley for giving the answers he does after a big loss?  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:What did you want him to do, don ash and sackcloth? Walk outside the stadium with a sandwich board for a day declaring his penance?  Hara kiri, perhaps?

I guarantee if you watched your lifetime dreams get obliterated despite your every effort to avoid that outcome, you would not be particularly talkative in the immediate aftermath, even if you are normally gregarious.

And yet everyone else somehow manages to do it. 

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 11:30 AM by UCF Knight.)

Quote:If Cam did anything else people would be calling him Fake.  You can't have it both ways.

I wonder how many of these are the same people yelling at Gus Bradley for giving the answers he does after a big loss?  

I would call him fake for sitting at a mic and answering a few questions?

Get over yourself.

Edit:  Did you see Ron Rivera's postgame speech on CBS, or his postgame speech for the media at the podium?  Phenomenal.  Not once did I think he was fake. 

How people come up with this stuff to justify someone's actions is laughable.

Quote:If Cam did anything else people would be calling him Fake.  You can't have it both ways.

Laughable indeed.

Quote:I think the whole press conference thing is a lot of hullabaloo over not much at all.

If he smiled and laughed like he normally does, he would be lambasted for not caring.

It is not a stretch to suggest (that failure to go for that fumble notwithstanding) that he is a competitor and wants to win.

He has probably dreamed of playing in the Super Bowl his entire life.

Not only did his team lose the game, but he probably had the worst game of his season in the process while his offense was getting their collective butts handed to them.

Though he is young, he has no guarantee of ever getting back to the Super Bowl (see Marino, Dan).

Yes, he is going to be upset.  No, he's not going to want to talk to the media after the loss.  When he did, his unhappiness was evident.

Was it the ideal way of conducting a post championship press conference?

No.

But we say we want "genuine" athletes, then we get bent out of shape when he displays genuine disappointment and emotion after a tough loss.

Do you really think that the way Can Newton acts is genuine?    Given the way he acts, that's the worst indictment of all.   Because that would mean he genuinely has no class and genuinely has no dignity and genuinely thinks the world revolves around him.   It would mean he genuinely doesn't care about being a real leader and genuinely doesn't care about his post-game responsibilities, and genuinely doesn't care if all the kids who are his fans see him acting like a poor sport.   

Contrast his behavior with Russell Wilson's post game behavior after he threw the interception that lost the Super Bowl.   Contrast Russell Wilson with the genuine Cam Newton.  

Cam Newton is Terrell Owens or Chad Ochocinco playing Quarterback.   Or Johnny Manziel.  

I want these guys to suppress their genuine selves and have a little class. 

Quote:Do you really think that the way Can Newton acts is genuine?    Given the way he acts, that's the worst indictment of all.   Because that would mean he genuinely has no class and genuinely has no dignity and genuinely thinks the world revolves around him.   It would mean he genuinely doesn't care about being a real leader and genuinely doesn't care about his post-game responsibilities, and genuinely doesn't care if all the kids who are his fans see him acting like a poor sport.   

Contrast his behavior with Russell Wilson's post game behavior after he threw the interception that lost the Super Bowl.   Contrast Russell Wilson with the genuine Cam Newton.  

Cam Newton is Terrell Owens or Chad Ochocinco playing Quarterback.   Or Johnny Manziel.  

I want these guys to suppress their genuine selves and have a little class. 

I do think he was genuine throughout the year, and I also think he was genuine last night.  I just think he needs to learn a bit of humility.

When you say suppress their genuine selves and have a little class, its what parents have to teach their kids early on in sports.  When you lose you can't just sit there and throw a temper tantrum.  You have to hold it in and show good sportsmanship.  Shake hands, do whatever you have to.  Cam is at a different level and has more obligations.....be it media, fans, the owner of the team.  He has to evolve and accept that.

Can't Newton showed his true colors. He's an over privileged cry baby that has very little intestinal fortitude.

How he wimped out instead of going after that fumble said it all.

I'm not a betting man, but a see a super bowl hang over fur the Panthers next season. And I expect more sulking from Can't.

He was  liar and a thief in college... they just hid it really well. :pirate:

Love telling the kids " I hope you never grow up and act like that loser", while watching the league MVP flop on the ground and whine to the officials and not even go after his own fumble.... Once a loser always a loser. :yes:

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 12:30 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:And yet everyone else somehow manages to do it. 
1.  Not everyone else is Cam, and Cam is not everyone else;

2.  Not everyone else does it.  Have you seen Belicheck's press conferences after Super Bowl losses?  After regular season losses?  Heck, he's not always good at post game pressers for wins!  What's more, nobody assails his character because of the way he conducts his press conferences.

3.  For years, when the networks interviewed the players in the locker room post game, when they'd go to the losing team's locker room, only the coach would be interviewed post game.  Why?  Because the players, who have just busted their butts the entire season, fighting through pain and injury, who did the same in the most important games of their careers, were often less than hospitable after dealing with the media under those circumstances.  The raw emotion of the game is too fresh.  (see also: Sherman, Richard).

We, from the comfy confines of our man caves or living room, having the luxury of not having 250-300 pound men slam you into the turf, can readily pass judgment on players on teams not our own.  From the detached perspectives of keyboards hours and days after the event, we can pontificate about the cool, calm demeanor and ideals of sportsmanship players should display in the immediate aftermath of crushing defeat.

But I don't think ANY of us have played in the NFL, strived hard to reach the Super Bowl, and come up short of winning it all.  None of us cried after the game.  Was Josh Norman (?) wrong for crying in the aftermath?  Kids cry when they don't get what they want or encounter disappointment.  Why is there no thread assailing his character?  Marshall Faulk, who lost Super Bowl XXXVI and no works for NFL Network, said he understood Newton's response.

Football is a rough, tough, and emotional game played by human beings.  People are going to act emotionally to a tough loss.  Those emotional responses aren't always going to fit within some norms of etiquette.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:1.  Not everyone else is Cam, and Cam is not everyone else;

2.  Not everyone else does it.  Have you seen Belicheck's press conferences after Super Bowl losses?  After regular season losses?  Heck, he's not always good at post game pressers for wins!  What's more, nobody assails his character because of the way he conducts his press conferences.

3.  For years, when the networks interviewed the players in the locker room post game, when they'd go to the losing team's locker room, only the coach would be interviewed post game.  Why?  Because the players, who have just busted their butts the entire season, fighting through pain and injury, who did the same in the most important games of their careers, were often less than hospitable after dealing with the media under those circumstances.  The raw emotion of the game is too fresh.  (see also: Sherman, Richard).

We, from the comfy confines of our man caves or living room, having the luxury of not having 250-300 pound men slam you into the turf, can readily pass judgment on players on teams not our own.  From the detached perspectives of keyboards hours and days after the event, we can pontificate about the cool, calm demeanor and ideals of sportsmanship players should display in the immediate aftermath of crushing defeat.

But I don't think ANY of us have played in the NFL, strived hard to reach the Super Bowl, and come up short of winning it all.  None of us cried after the game.  Was Josh Norman (?) wrong for crying in the aftermath?  Kids cry when they don't get what they want or encounter disappointment.  Why is there no thread assailing his character?  Marshall Faulk, who lost Super Bowl XXXVI and no works for NFL Network, said he understood Newton's response.

Football is a rough, tough, and emotional game played by human beings.  People are going to act emotionally to a tough loss.  Those emotional responses aren't always going to fit within some norms of etiquette.

When you're known as Belicheat around the world, I think your character is the last thing anyone will talk about in a positive light.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 12:50 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:When you're known as Belicheat around the world, I think your character is the last thing anyone will talk about in a positive light.
Yes, you are absolutely right.

The difference is, HIS character is assailed for his teams violating rules that gave his team an unfair competitive advantage in at least one Super Bowl championship, and arguably a second AFC championship.

Netwon's character is being assailed for displays of emotion-good and bad-in the aftermath of a game.

Cam should have gone after that fumble aggressively. He should have shown more class in the post game conference.

I can forgive him for the latter because you want a guy who wants to win so bad that losing is totally unacceptable to him, however his refusal to dive after that loose ball makes me question his "win-at-any-cost" attitude.

Quote:Cam should have gone after that fumble aggressively. He should have shown more class in the post game conference.

I can forgive him for the latter because you want a guy who wants to win so bad that losing is totally unacceptable to him, however his refusal to dive after that loose ball makes me question his "win-at-any-cost" attitude.
Cam most certainly deserves scrutiny for that, and as I indicated earlier, that decision will hound him until he wins a Super Bowl.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 12:58 PM by TravC59.)

The dabbing and things Cam does in celebration and wins really doesn't bother me. I can though see why it makes some people's stomachs turn.

My thing is, if Cam wants to act the way he does after TD's and celebrating wins, then he better be able to man up in the face of adversity and not shell up and make himself look like a fool. I can empathize with him not wanting to be very talkative post game, but the way he went about it was completely wrong. It was childish and lacked any maturity whatsoever. He likes to say that if he doesn't want people dabbing on them, then don't let him in the endzone. Turn about is fair play in a way here. If you don't want to have to go around looking like someone just shot your puppy then just win the dang game.

When all is said and done, I think Cam is a winner. Winners fix things, whether on or off the field. Hopefully he eats this humble pie and learns.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote: 

Phenominal example because we all know how much Belicheck is known for his demeanor and attitude, right?  Seriously....this is the example you want to give in defense of Cam after a loss?

No....seriously?

Quote:Yes, you are absolutely right.

The difference is, HIS character is assailed for his teams violating rules that gave his team an unfair competitive advantage in at least one Super Bowl championship, and arguably a second AFC championship.

Netwon's character is being assailed for displays of emotion-good and bad-in the aftermath of a game.

Yeah, but let's not act like this is an outlier event.

This dude has been a whiner and sulker from jump.

The only difference was that this year he won every game except one, so it was all gravy to him.

But let's not forget every other season where he sits by himself with that stupid towel wrapped around his head.

To me, it's the super bowl press conference that indicts Newton. It's every presser he's had after a loss. This isn't the first time Can't Newton has behaved like a tool. It's just the most recent and most televised. But what you saw is who he is. The excuse that it was right after a super bowl loss does not hold water when you compare it to what you've seen from that guy his entire career.

Quote: 

I guess every single coach I had growing up must have totally misinformed me about what constitutes good sportsmanship. 

Because - Handling defeat with grace was always part of the lesson.

Controlling one's emotions is part of that. If your presser after a loss is grossly disproportionate to one after a win, you aren't doing that. ^

Quote:Yes, you are absolutely right.

Yeah, but let's not act like this is an outlier event.

This dude has been a whiner and sulker from jump.

The only difference was that this year he won every game except one, so it was all gravy to him.

But let's not forget every other season where he sits by himself with that stupid towel wrapped around his head.

To me, it isn't the super bowl press conference that indicts Newton. It's every presser he's had after a loss. This isn't the first time Can't Newton has behaved like a tool. It's just the most recent and most televised. But what you saw is who he is. The excuse that it was right after a super bowl loss does not hold water when you compare it to what you've seen from that guy his entire career.

Cam became hello kitty after the game. Crybaby.

I look forward to seeing what Cam has to say over the next week or so.  I have a feeling he will come out and be pretty humble and try to put things in perspective.  At least that's what I would hope.

He's an exciting player and if Carolina puts a couple offensive pieces around him can become even more dynamic.