Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Newton could use a little more modesty and dignity

Quote:Phenominal example because we all know how much Belicheck is known for his demeanor and attitude, right?  Seriously....this is the example you want to give in defense of Cam after a loss?

No....seriously?
Seriously.

Nobody assails Belicheck's CHARACTER because of that.

Why not?

Why is Newton a bad guy because he gives terse, monotone 1-2 word answers in press conferences but Belicheck is not?  Exactly the same context. I'm not saying nobody attacks Belicheck's character, but they do so for more substantive, tangible events like cheating.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I still love Cam. 

The kid is a winner.  Yeah he doesn't handle losing well.  That doesn't bother me. 

I didn't see many people harping on Lynch for giving his short word interviews.

Same with Belichick as Bullseye has pointed out above.

I would take him on this team in a heartbeat no questions asked.  

Quote:I guess every single coach I had growing up must have totally misinformed me about what constitutes good sportsmanship. 

Because - Handling defeat with grace was always part of the lesson.

Controlling one's emotions is part of that. If your presser after a loss is grossly disproportionate to one after a win, you aren't doing that. ^
When have you ever had to answer a barrage of media questions less than an hour after you lost a game in front of millions worldwide?

It isn't as if Cam Newton did not display good sportsmanship to Manning after the game.  They met and shook hands midfield and Cam congratulated him.

But your closing line leads me back to a question I posed earlier that none of you have addressed.

At the end of the game, there was a poignant shot of a player that looked like Josh Norman crying after the game.

Whomever that player was, does his crying after the game represent poor sportsmanship?  Does holding his face and head in his hands and sobbing represent flawed character?

Do the tears represent "uncontrolled emotion?"  What about the victorious Broncos?  Was their unbridled joy at winning the game "uncontrolled emotion," and therefore poor sportsmanship and flawed character?

Are some displays of uncontrolled emotion more acceptable than others? 

What if Newton actually felt like going on an expletive laden tirade during the press conference where he not only threatens bodily injury to his teammates that kept screwing up, but also to obnoxious members of the media asking stupid questions, but didn't?  Do his terse replies still represent "uncontrolled emotion?"

Quote:Seriously.

Nobody assails Belicheck's CHARACTER because of that.

Why not?

Why is Newton a bad guy because he gives terse, monotone 1-2 word answers in press conferences but Belicheck is not?  Exactly the same context. I'm not saying nobody attacks Belicheck's character, but they do so for more substantive, tangible events like cheating.

Does Belicheck act differently at his pressers when he wins?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Does Belicheck act differently at his pressers when he wins?
It's my understanding he isn't much different, but there is some variation in talkativeness.

But let's assume his behavior is exactly the same.

Is it possible that Belicheck is being a bad sport in both instances, if his answers are less than engaging?

Quote:When have you ever had to answer a barrage of media questions less than an hour after you lost a game in front of millions worldwide?

Good point. Certainly it's harder than it looks. But if you're so comfortable in front of the "millions worldwide" in victory, then.... the disproportionate point I made still stands. 

It isn't as if Cam Newton did not display good sportsmanship to Manning after the game.  They met and shook hands midfield and Cam congratulated him.

But your closing line leads me back to a question I posed earlier that none of you have addressed.

At the end of the game, there was a poignant shot of a player that looked like Josh Norman crying after the game.  His lack of visibility compared to Cam's makes it hard for me to gauge his reaction vs his celebrations. But a "private" moment on the bench is a far cry from a press conference. 

Whomever that player was, does his crying after the game represent poor sportsmanship?  Does holding his face and head in his hands and sobbing represent flawed character?

Do the tears represent "uncontrolled emotion?"  What about the victorious Broncos?  Was their unbridled joy at winning the game "uncontrolled emotion," and therefore poor sportsmanship and flawed character?

Are some displays of uncontrolled emotion more acceptable than others?  Ummm. Yes. Absolutely, yes.  Is this a serious question? 

What if Newton actually felt like going on an expletive laden tirade during the press conference where he not only threatens bodily injury to his teammates that kept screwing up, but also to obnoxious members of the media asking stupid questions, but didn't?  Do his terse replies still represent "uncontrolled emotion?"

I dont see the big deal about walking out at the press conference thing, then again usually when the game clock hits 00:00 I turn the station. 

Bullseye - I'm just gonna' step away, because I have only respect for your posting and I feel we are on two very different planes of thought here. 

As I stated in previous threads and this one. This stuff is pretty trivial to me. I expect all forms of sportsmanship to show up in the various athletes we admire. And it doesn't bother me much at all if I'm a little disappointed in their behavior.  

I get the feeling this means a little more to you personally for some reason - so I'll just excuse myself as  I believe it's not worthy of the amount of back-and-forth I've already given it. 

Quote:It's my understanding he isn't much different, but there is some variation in talkativeness.

But let's assume his behavior is exactly the same.

Is it possible that Belicheck is being a bad sport in both instances, if his answers are less than engaging?

Whether he's engaging or not, or likable or not, the man is pretty much the same when he wins or loses...isn't that the epitome of the character issues we are talking about?

I've seen fumbles where two team mates go after it and it just ends up getting loose and gives a chance for the other team to get it

Quote:Whether he's engaging or not, or likable or not, the man is pretty much the same when he wins or loses...isn't that the epitome of the character issues we are talking about?
So if he is an [BLEEP], win or lose, (assuming for the moment that giving terse, 1-2 word monotone answers at press conferences represents being an [BLEEP]), then his character should be assailed all the more...right?

But it isn't.

Not for the press conferences, anyway.

Cam may have a valid reason for giving cutting the post game interview short. Listen to Harris trash him on the other side of the curtain. 

https://twitter.com/bmweezy13/status/696...wsrc%5Etfw

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:So if he is an [BAD WORD REMOVED], win or lose, (assuming for the moment that giving terse, 1-2 word monotone answers at press conferences represents being an [BAD WORD REMOVED]), then his character should be assailed all the more...right?

But it isn't.

No, if that's what he is then that's it. If he were a happy go lucky preening bundle of look at me attention whore when he won then was Belichick when he lost then he would be more like Cammy.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:So if he is an [BAD WORD REMOVED], win or lose, (assuming for the moment that giving terse, 1-2 word monotone answers at press conferences represents being an [BAD WORD REMOVED]), then his character should be assailed all the more...right?

But it isn't.

No. It means that winning or losing, it doesn't change his personality. That's what people mean by character issues.

Quote:Bullseye - I'm just gonna' step away, because I have only respect for your posting and I feel we are on two very different planes of thought here. 

As I stated in previous threads and this one. This stuff is pretty trivial to me. I expect all forms of sportsmanship to show up in the various athletes we admire. And it doesn't bother me much at all if I'm a little disappointed in their behavior.  

I get the feeling this means a little more to you personally for some reason - so I'll just excuse myself as  I believe it's not worthy of the amount of back-and-forth I've already given it. 
I have no personal stake in the matter.  I don't know Newton.  I've never met him.  I am in no way affiliated with him.  I rooted for Denver last night and still hate the Panthers dating back to 1995.

Before I continue, the respect is mutual.

Fans attitudes towards players have long fascinated me on some level.  Sometimes I have problems with some of the rationales fans use to vilify some players.

I remember when Errict Rhett and Sean Gilbert were potentially available to the Jaguars in the mid to late 1990s.

Both had been in the league for a while and both held out for a year.

Yet only Gilbert had his holdout held against him as indicative of a poor work ethic, despite the fact between the two players, only he was the one who made a Pro Bowl.  Others had no problem whatsoever going after Rhett, even when you adjust for the Gator homerism.

This is one of those instances where there is hostility towards a player-Newton-for reasons that don't fully make sense to me.

It manifests itself strangely on the board.

The OP started two threads trashing Newton's character for TD celebrations and later his post game presser.  Despite your stated ambivalence on the subject you actively participated in both threads, echoing the OP.  I actively participated in both threads.  But of the three of us, I was the one singled out for speculation that I am personally involved.

But I'll drop the discussion with you, too.

Quote:No. It means that winning or losing, it doesn't change his personality. That's what people mean by character issues.
So consistently being an [BLEEP] does not equate to character issues, but being an [BLEEP] in the immediate aftermath of a crushing defeat does?

Quote:So consistently being an [BAD WORD REMOVED] does not equate to character issues, but being an [BAD WORD REMOVED] in the immediate aftermath of a crushing defeat does?

Yes, consistency is the key.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Cam may have a valid reason for giving cutting the post game interview short. Listen to Harris trash him on the other side of the curtain. 

https://twitter.com/bmweezy13/status/696...wsrc%5Etfw
This, on top of everything else that transpired?

Yeah...I could see Newton's response going the way it did.

Quote:Yes, consistency is the key.
So in a different context, a person who gets sloppy drunk every day has less of an alcohol problem than one who gets drunk maybe once a month?  Consistency, right?

Quote:I have no personal stake in the matter.  I don't know Newton.  I've never met him.  I am in no way affiliated with him.  I rooted for Denver last night and still hate the Panthers dating back to 1995.

Before I continue, the respect is mutual.

Fans attitudes towards players have long fascinated me on some level.  Sometimes I have problems with some of the rationales fans use to vilify some players.

I remember when Errict Rhett and Sean Gilbert were potentially available to the Jaguars in the mid to late 1990s.

Both had been in the league for a while and both held out for a year.

Yet only Gilbert had his holdout held against him as indicative of a poor work ethic, despite the fact between the two players, only he was the one who made a Pro Bowl.  Others had no problem whatsoever going after Rhett, even when you adjust for the Gator homerism.

This is one of those instances where there is hostility towards a player-Newton-for reasons that don't fully make sense to me.

It manifests itself strangely on the board. You can say that again! 

The OP started two threads trashing Newton's character for TD celebrations and later his post game presser.  Despite your stated ambivalence on the subject you actively participated in both threads, echoing the OP.  I actively participated in both threads.  But of the three of us, I was the one singled out for speculation that I am personally involved.

But I'll drop the discussion with you, too.

After reading this ^ I have a clearer idea of what inspires your questions. 

In regards to the bolded - I feel my thoughts on the matter to be very, very different than the OP.  And I initially began responding to good-naturedly poke fun at the Panthers fan frequenting the forum.  I don't Cam's a punk, and I don't mean to vilify him either.  Some of his actions simply don't live up to the ideal that I grew up learning/admiring in terms of sportsmanship. I find that to be a fairly soft stance in comparison to the OP. 

But - of course - there have been athletes that both personified and obliterated that old ideal as long as I can remember.  I suppose it's only his hyper-visibilty right now that's caused the great amount of negative reaction to his brand of bravado. 

And now, I'm off to talk linebackers for the Jags in 2016. Something I do indeed find more worthy of debate.  Smile  :thumbsup: