Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Newton could use a little more modesty and dignity

Quote: 

And now, I'm off to talk linebackers for the Jags in 2016. Something I do indeed find more worthy of debate.  Smile  :thumbsup:
Lead the way, good sir.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So consistently being an [BAD WORD REMOVED] does not equate to character issues, but being an [BAD WORD REMOVED] in the immediate aftermath of a crushing defeat does?

Belicheck is a jerk. No one is on here trying to convinve anyone he's not a jerk. But he's a jerk that doesn't act differently whether he wins or loses.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Belicheck is a jerk. No one is on here trying to convinve anyone he's not a jerk. But he's a jerk that doesn't act differently whether he wins or loses.

I fail to see where being consistently bad is preferable to being sporadically bad.  I'm not understanding the logic there.  Would you rather the Jaguars have 10 straight years of 3-13 records, or maybe 8 winning seasons out of 10?

Cam Newton did not act that like he did after the loss to Atlanta.

He DID act in a less than optimal manner yesterday.

I was disappointed at how can handled the game and the loss. I enjoyed his free spirit during the season but you see a man's character when it all goes wrong, sadly he showed a lack of character. Hopefully he learns and works on building character.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Has anyone seen ZNation?

Quote:Has anyone seen ZNation?
He walked outta the press conference too, but for different reasons than Cam.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 03:40 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:Has anyone seen ZNation?

I imagine he's drunk.  A good friend of mine is a Panthers fan.  She was pretty upset about the loss. 

Man what I wouldn't give though to be in their position, rather than ours.  Jags are on the rise, but actually making it to a Super Bowl?  Hell, I'd be happy if we made it to the playoffs.  Right now we're relegated to drinking away our sorrows after regular season blowouts.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Cam possibly avoided injury by not diving into the pileup, but how does the saying go?

" Pain is temporary.........Quitting lasts forever."

Quote:So in a different context, a person who gets sloppy drunk every day has less of an alcohol problem than one who gets drunk maybe once a month? Consistency, right?

Context does matter.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

With Cam's behavior this year, the OBJ-Norman fight, along with the Seahawks picking a fight with the Patriots players at the end of SB 49, it makes you wonder whether these are only isolated incidents, or if these are going to become more frequent with this new generation of NFL players. I don't want to sound old (I'm really not), but from what I can remember things like this never seemed to happen that often. Usually, a guy like T.O. would cause most of the season's controversy, but it just seems like this new generation of players seems more arrogant and brash, and doesn't have as much respect for their opponents as there used to be. It's perfectly fine for Cam Newton to be unhappy about losing the Super Bowl (who wouldn't!?), but do it away from the cameras and in private after the game is over. I agree with Deion Sanders-Cam Newton is the MVP of this league, and by definition, he is a representative of all the players in this league. Not just Carolina's.

In many ways, SB 50 really can be seen as a true "passing of the torch". Manning represented the old generation of NFL players, and Cam Newton represented this new generation that seems to be more concerned about watching their highlights on Sportscenter or NFL Network, as well as being centers of attentions on and off the field, instead of being positive role models for the current generation of American youth. Regardless of the circumstances in which this took place, Cam Newton's actions were immature, unprofessional, and set a bad example for every other young aspiring athlete out there. I deplore him and his actions in the strongest terms.

Quote: 

In regards to the bolded - I feel my thoughts on the matter to be very, very different than the OP.  And I initially began responding to good-naturedly poke fun at the Panthers fan frequenting the forum.  I don't Cam's a punk, and I don't mean to vilify him either.  Some of his actions simply don't live up to the ideal that I grew up learning/admiring in terms of sportsmanship. I find that to be a fairly soft stance in comparison to the OP. 

I do believe this is how most people feel, but their feelings have been skewed by some to be much more malicious. 

you people need to leave Scam Newton alone

This is stupid
[Image: giphy.gif]

If I was the head of that Yogurt company he does commercials for, I would look a reason to void the contract.  That guy in the news conference is not the person you want representing your company. 

Classless and inexcusable.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 07:26 PM by ZNation484.)

What up Jag bros? I'm on my flight home from SF and hungover as hell. I didn't read this whole thread because the first two pages were enough. I'll give you my two cents...

1) if you check out the images from the fumble Cam steps back because Kahlil is about to recover it. The ball squirted out from Ryan's hands. Cam would have just been jumping on him. I was pissed at the time but have later seen more of the story of that play and I get it.

2) the press conference - not the best look for Cam. But it was 30 minutes after the game and Harris was trashing him. Cam could legit hear this dude talking [BLEEP] about him. So he got up and left. I mean...is he really such a bad person for doing that? Why is no one focusing on the comments by Harris? Why is no one focusing on the comments Peyton said about Cam? Everyone looks for a reason to hate Cam. I've never seen anything like it. Closest thing is the hate LeBron gets.

3) Cam had some bad throws but let's be serious that game wasn't lost because of his bad play. The gameplan, the Oline, and the terrible drops, fumble, and Ginn bumping that ball in the air for an INT had more to do with it. Coth had three drops in the first quarter and Philly Brown had at least two. With the pressure Denver was getting on us not executing those plays were killers. I said last night that we were basically giving away a down a series.

The play calling was terrible. We tried to stick with our identity, which I get, but when Denver is destroying our Oline why was there no plan B to combat their pressure? It's their only strength. No screens, barely any slants, and Cam didn't run in the second half. Ridiculous.

I'm not going to defend Cam on this board any longer. Any time I do the response is that I'm trying to make people like him. That has nothing to do with it. I see it differently is all. Probably because I'm a homer fan - definitely because I have a lot of common sense and can think for myself and it listen to the media spin.

Oh....and I want my QB pissed off that he just lost the Super Bowl. I couldn't even talk to my friends for almost 45 mins after the game and I was just in the stands. Fans are emotional - why are players supposed to be robots?

Peyton walked off the field without shaking Brees' hand when they lost to the Saints. I was at the game and watched Brady walk off the field when try lost to the Giants in the SB. Cam did his required 3 mins with the media, got up and left when a player from the winning team (who has spoken out before about him) was talking poop, and he's an immature jerk thug.

People who give a crap about that just live in a completely different world than I do. I played a college sport - I know what losing big games feels like. I didn't/wouldn't judge Manning of Brady for what they did.

I just can wrap my head around why people think emotional reactions - whether dancing or sulking - to a GAME define one's character.

Yes this game is emotional and losing the biggest game of the year is emotional but nonetheless it's part of the job. Giving press conferences afterwards is also part of the job. Being courteous and complimentary of your opponents is also part of the job. Cam failed in completing the job he is paid millions to do.

REgards..................the Chiefjag

Quote:Giving press conferences afterwards is also part of the job. Being courteous and complimentary of your opponents is also part of the job.

REgards..................the Chiefjag

1) he fulfilled the required 3 mins

2) will you go start a thread on how Harris wasn't complimentary and courteous of Cam or that's not as fun?

Quote:1) he fulfilled the required 3 mins

2) will you go start a thread on how Harris wasn't complimentary and courteous of Cam or that's not as fun?
No one cares what Harris has to say. Cam was just the MVP, he had a chance to show people he's maturing and he's the QB.

QBs are treated differently. He has been trying to show people he's not a baby.

I personally don't care what he does but there are a lot of people who do. And he had a chance to show some class and that he can lose with dignity. He failed.