Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cutting the Cord

I finally came to my senses and decided to get rid of my "cable" subscription.  I found that I haven't missed a thing.  Pretty much everything and anything that I want to watch is free.

Important to me:

Local channels in HD

Sports channels in HD

News channels

Documentaries

Less important but makes the wife happy:

Movies

Cooking Shows

Television Programming

I did it with a HD antenna to get local channels, a device that allows me to stream to any network connected device and a server that holds programming/movies/music.

Total cost before I made the switch = $100+ per month

Total cost after I made the switch = $0

In my opinion, if you're paying for Comcast/ATT Uverse/Any Satellite Provider you are paying way too much.

Downsides

Anything broadcast on "cable" channels is not real-time.  You usually have to wait to get the content.

I don't get to waste my money.

No recording programs - NOTE (This is a work in progress).

Anyone else "cut the cord"?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Cut it in 2010. 

I still subscribe to netflix and occasionally purchase series or "rent" movies through iTunes, amazon or GooglePlay, but I'm definitely spending less than the cost of a cable subscription annually.  I spend 20-25 bucks a month instead of 120 on programming. 

I do pay 45 per month for internet, so I guess it's technically about a $50 per month difference. 

I cut 2 years ago.

I have Netflix, HBO and Amazon Prime for about $35 a month vs the $100 I was spending on cable.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

I'd love to cut the cord, but that'd mean missing out on shows for several months, and not being able to watch football at all.  Where we live, an antenna won't pick up signals at all.  Can't even get local channels.  Every year like clockwork they raise the prices too.  If they ever get faster internet speeds in our area, I'd consider switching to streaming everything and just follow football online.  But we can't even get good speeds.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I did although I also have HBO Now, Showtime via Amazon and Amazon Prime.  We have a roku box and it is amazing how much free content is available even live streaming in many cases.  I do miss The Weather Channel sometimes and I really miss Discovery Science, The History Channel, and The Smithsonian Channel but you can get some of their content online too if you know where to look.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Anytime a sports event comes up that I want to watch, but can't because I don't have cable I simply get SLING TV for the month.

I got it for baseball playoffs, college football bowl games, and the NFL draft.

It's $20 bucks for a month (which I cancel after my event) and had no minimum purchase. I figure it's cheaper than going to the bar.
― Albert Camus

Dont you still need wifi?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Dont you still need wifi?

I need it for my Amazon Fire Stick.  I do not know if you can connect directly to the router.

― Albert Camus

I had DirecTV for a good while and got so tired of it.. The wind blew wrong and my picture went out..

I'm paying a good penny for Comcast but my picture doesn't go out at the 4th quarter with the game tied..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:Dont you still need wifi?

Quote:I need it for my Amazon Fire Stick.  I do not know if you can connect directly to the router.

You need an internet connection. The Fire Stick and some of the Roku boxes require WiFi. I believe the top of the line Roku box has an ethernet connection, as does Fire TV.

Vicbow, does Sling offer all the channels that carry the major sporting events?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016, 08:46 PM by Jags.)

Does anyone have info about the Kodi app? There are boxes sold with that app on it and other boxes sold with that app programmed to watch whatever you want. I guess it surfs the web for you looking for the show/movie/sporting event you want and finds where to view it. Apparently, if you program that app the right way you can watch anything under Gods creation. Does anyone has info on whether or not that is illegal or not? Obvious answer is yes. And I'd agree because it's piracy. But I also read that they don't go after people who view pirated content. Just those that put it out there. If I understand correctly, in Europe it is legal to watch it. Thus, this app should be ok to use for that purpose.

I've cut the cord a while back and bought one of those boxes and programmed it and was able to watch a lot of stuff but after less than 24 hours later I spooked myself out and returned the box.

Edit. I blame Blake Bortles. He mentioned one of these boxes in his skank interview.

We've had Netflix since 2012 and added Amazon Prime in 2013. Antennas don't work where we live so I've had NFL game pass the last 2 years. Cancelled my auto-renew though until I'm employed after I finish school.

One thing I love about streaming is no commercials. Especially leading up to Christmas. When I'm at someone else's house I cringe when they come on. Also during political campaigns. I hate those more than anything and I don't have to listen to them.

Quote:I cut 2 years ago.

I have Netflix, HBO and Amazon Prime for about $35 a month vs the $100 I was spending on cable.
How do you have prime for only 35.00?

...and how do you watch HBO without cable or satellite?

Quote:How do you have prime for only 35.00?

Amazon Prime is $99 annually, so $8.25 per month. You can subscribe to HBO Now without subscribing to a premium TV service.

- Bob Marley

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016, 09:05 PM by Jags.)

Quote:Amazon Prime is $99 annually, so $8.25 per month. You can subscribe to HBO Now without subscribing to a premium TV service.
Ah... That makes sense. I don't think Amazon gave me the monthly option. Didn't realize HBO did that. That's good to know. Thanks.

Do you get all the HBO channels?

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016, 09:09 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Ah... That makes sense. I don't think Amazon gave me the monthly option. Didn't realize HBO did that. That's good to know. Thanks.

Do you get all the HBO channels?

I'm not sure if Amazon will break it down monthly, I just did the math.

With HBO Now you get to choose from every series or movie they offer. It's like Netflix, you just find a movie or series and watch.

- Bob Marley

Quote:I'm not sure if Amazon will break it down monthly, I just did the math.

With HBO Now you get to choose from every series or movie they offer. It's like Netflix, you just find a movie or series and watch.
I must have been living under a rock. I'm going to look into that.

Quote:How do you have prime for only 35.00?

Yea, I pay the yearly fee, but it comes out to 8 something a month.
― Albert Camus

Quote:You need an internet connection. The Fire Stick and some of the Roku boxes require WiFi. I believe the top of the line Roku box has an ethernet connection, as does Fire TV.

Vicbow, does Sling offer all the channels that carry the major sporting events?

They carry ESPN and ESPN2 and TBS. So any major college bowl game and baseball playoffs. I also pick it up in April for the draft.

That being said it includes CNN and like 16 other channels for only 20 a month. You can add other channels too for a few extra bucks.

Everytime I have ordered it I canceled within the month. They have never given me a hard time.
― Albert Camus

Quote:Anyone else "cut the cord"?
When we move next, we'll be leaving cable and satellite behind. It's tough, but honestly, all the shows we have any real interest in are coming to an end anyway. RIP Gravity Falls.

Quote:Amazon Prime is $99 annually, so $8.25 per month. You can subscribe to HBO Now without subscribing to a premium TV service.
Protip: you can get a free month of Amazon Prime up to 12 times a year if you order an item and it misses its arrival date. If one had no morals, they could go online late at night, find a Prime delivery guarantee of the next day (physically impossible) on a $2 cord or a $4 USB charger, something dumb and cheap, then complain that your delivery was late and add a free month. Just sayin'. It's almost as useful as the Office Personal/Home subscription bug.