Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cutting the Cord

Quote:I've had both, and prefer Fire TV. If you have a Kindle Fire there is a remote control app, essentially giving you an extra remote control (admittedly a minor benefit to most) plus you can mirror your Fire to your TV. Great for adult entertainment.

Not that I ever use it for that.

The Roku model I had did not have the voice search feature, but the Fire TV feature works great.

The  downside of Fire TV is the sometimes annoying marriage with Amazon Prime content. It's great if you have Prime, not so much if you don't.

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Fire TV Box instead of the stick.  I have Amazon Prime so I figured this would be the better device for me.  It also appears relatively easy to install other applications such as Kodi on it.

Quote:Maybe I'm too paranoid. But with it being illegal, how do you stay in the clear? Do you use a VPN? Are those legal? Or is it just one of those things that aren't really enforced?

I'm certainly no lawyer, so take my opinion however you want.

Technically speaking, you are not downloading anything as in saving it.  You are only streaming content that is on the internet.  Think watching youtube or videos on break.com.  Now if you are hosting copyrighted material on the internet allowing others to stream it, then that is what is really illegal.

Also, the default addons included with and supported by Kodi are perfectly legal and there is quite a bit of programming available.  Most of it is just an easy interface to youtube as well as free legal content from CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and FOX.  There is also content from other sources such as the Smithsonian Channel, HGTV, Food Network, etc.  It also has an app to stream video from various websites including NFL.com and Jaguars.com.

Check out the official website for Kodi and look at their wiki for more details.

My personal next step is to set up a MythTV server for recording content.  At this point I would only be able to record over the air broadcasts, but I can probably hack a way to record from other sources including streams.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I just pay for WiFi because 99% of thing I want to watch can be streamed for free online. Paying for TV would be a waste.

Quote:Maybe I'm too paranoid. But with it being illegal, how do you stay in the clear? Do you use a VPN? Are those legal? Or is it just one of those things that aren't really enforced?

Depends on what you're talking about...if you're talking the big addon that starts with a G and ends with a s then the chances of you getting caught are probably slim to none.  It's really the p2p addons I steer clear of.  

Are vpns legal?  Yes

Quote:That's why I dont do it, I'd still need Comcast and the bundle is only $20 more a month for the Digital HD package.

That's kinda my situation, I had 25 mbps at $74/mo 2 years ago (internet only), I gave it a shot and called to cancel and they offered me 12 months @ $53 with limited basic + hbo and 50mbps.  I called last year to cancel the tv after the promotion price ended and they offered me 80 channels (no hbo) plus 100 mbps for $64 for 12 months (they told me it was almost $80 if I wanted the internet alone...was the damnedest thing I ever heard).  

It seems like what you have to do is call and threaten to cancel, takes 20ish minutes but it's worth it.  You dont get a choice in the package, but quite frankly I just care about the internet anyways.  

And here I am with 120 mbps internet and TV for €51 per month. 

Quote:And here I am with 120 mbps internet and TV for €51 per month.

But we have freedom, flags and eagles. USA USA

And here I am with 1.2 mbps internet for $30/month.

Sad

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Didn't go through the whole thread, so maybe this has been asked...

Is there a way to drop cable and still get sports packages?

I dropped my cable, got an antenna to go with Netflix and Hulu. Wanted to get NBA League Pass but because Jax is considered part of Orlando's market, I wasn't able to stream their games.

Quote:Didn't go through the whole thread, so maybe this has been asked...

Is there a way to drop cable and still get sports packages?

I dropped my cable, got an antenna to go with Netflix and Hulu. Wanted to get NBA League Pass but because Jax is considered part of Orlando's market, I wasn't able to stream their games.

slingtv offers a "sports package" though it isnt like a Sun Sports where you could watch Magic games.  There are ways that will allow you to get past those regional blackout restrictions, I use it for MLBtv to watch Rays games, it also works for NFL Gamepass.  

Now google and AT&T are offering gigabit internet.  I never understood the point of it.  What possible use would anyone have for that speed?  I understand downloads are fast, but who really downloads files large enough that it makes a difference? Once you get to about 50 mbps, what's the point? AT&T has a data cap at 1 TB for their gigabit internet.  So going full speed, and maxing out the bandwidth you'd blow through your entire monthly cap in just over 2 hours.  Fast speeds are just a gimic right now.  Same thing with 5g.  Nobody cares about 1gbps wireless speeds if their data cap is 5GB.  But if wireless companies can match the bandwidth and cost of wired internet people will be dropping the cable companies completely in droves (internet and television).

Quote:Now google and AT&T are offering gigabit internet.  I never understood the point of it.  What possible use would anyone have for that speed?  I understand downloads are fast, but who really downloads files large enough that it makes a difference? Once you get to about 50 mbps, what's the point? AT&T has a data cap at 1 TB for their gigabit internet.  So going full speed, and maxing out the bandwidth you'd blow through your entire monthly cap in just over 2 hours.  Fast speeds are just a gimic right now.  Same thing with 5g.  Nobody cares about 1gbps wireless speeds if their data cap is 5GB.  But if wireless companies can match the bandwidth and cost of wired internet people will be dropping the cable companies completely in droves (internet and television).
Faster speeds are not as crucial as people think they are, HD streaming only requires about 5 Mbps assuming you're not doing anything else online. I get the most out of it when I buy games through Steam, then I can pull down 50 GB in 30 minutes or so hitting something like 14.5 MB/s. 

Anybody use clearwire or anything like it?

Quote:Anybody use clearwire or anything like it?

Unless you know something different,  Clearwire for the last few years was just a Sprint mobile hotspot until it got shut down completely last year.  Any mobile wifi hotspot from T-Mobile or Verizon is already pretty much what Clearwire was.  Sooner or later, wireless is going to be a very viable replacement for wired video/video streaming.  All the streaming I do is through a 4g mobile hotspot and on either my Roku or my SmartTV.  Though 4g is not the cheapest option right now, the trend is that wireless data is trying to catch up to the fact that what people really want to do on the internet is stream HD video.  They are no longer impressed with being able to use facebook or instagram with their 3GB data plan.  T-Mobile released Binge-On to address this (though in my experience it doesn't work through hotspot tethering).  Verizon did something similar.  The company Aereo is working on gigabit wireless internet to be deployed in the next few year, and then there's all the work on 5g.  Then google has their balloons.  In the end, wireless Internet is just more reliable than wired, and there is more accountability. You are no longer that one guy who's internet doesn't work, your one of a thousand who demands it to work, all the time.  You can't be swept under the rug.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2020, 08:44 AM by RicoTx.)

Boy, I didn't realize how old this thread was.  I'm surprised I remembered this far back.

Well, finally going to cut the cord myself.  I've been experimenting with YouTube TV and Netflix the last few days.  I like the content but I think the interfaces are a but clunky.  Maybe it's because I'm so used to the cable/satellite guides.  My big fear is that I have to teach my wife how to use them.  She is not the most tech savvy person.  Without going into too much detail...we've had DirecTV for at least 10 years and she still doesn't know how to use (or find) the channel guide.  I foresee a lot of texts at work once I do cut the cord.  I'm going to wait until my free trial period for YouTube TV is over before I completely cancel DirecTV.  That, I had have to set up my Roku on my one non-smart TV in the bedroom.  I doubt it's very complicated...just didn't get around to it after we bought it yesterday.  I do not my connection speed is plenty fast enough because we've been watching Netflix wirelessly in the furthest room from the modem and it's been fine.

On a related note, I have been binge-watching The Black List.  I had lost track of it when I moved into this house three years ago because of numerous issues.  I'm almost up to date.  We both started semi-binge watching Dexter.  I know I'm way behind on that as I never had Showtime of a streaming service.  We're almost through year one.

Any recommendations on other streaming services for sports or anything at all?  It looks like I can get almost everything I want from YouTube TV and Netflix (or Amazon)  and that will save me damn close to $100 a month.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2020, 09:18 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-10-2020, 08:40 AM)Rico Wrote: Boy, I didn't realize how old this thread was.  I'm surprised I remembered this far back.

Well, finally going to cut the cord myself.  I've been experimenting with YouTube TV and Netflix the last few days.  I like the content but I think the interfaces are a but clunky.  Maybe it's because I'm so used to the cable/satellite guides.  My big fear is that I have to teach my wife how to use them.  She is not the most tech savvy person.  Without going into too much detail...we've had DirecTV for at least 10 years and she still doesn't know how to use (or find) the channel guide.  I foresee a lot of texts at work once I do cut the cord.  I'm going to wait until my free trial period for YouTube TV is over before I completely cancel DirecTV.  That, I had have to set up my Roku on my one non-smart TV in the bedroom.  I doubt it's very complicated...just didn't get around to it after we bought it yesterday.  I do not my connection speed is plenty fast enough because we've been watching Netflix wirelessly in the furthest room from the modem and it's been fine.

On a related note, I have been binge-watching The Black List.  I had lost track of it when I moved into this house three years ago because of numerous issues.  I'm almost up to date.  We both started semi-binge watching Dexter.  I know I'm way behind on that as I never had Showtime of a streaming service.  We're almost through year one.

Any recommendations on other streaming services for sports or anything at all?  It looks like I can get almost everything I want from YouTube TV and Netflix (or Amazon)  and that will save me damn close to $100 a month.

I haven't cut the cord, but I did get Netflix about a month ago and I have been binge-watching Narcos (warning: very dark and violent), and my wife and I have been binge-watching The Crown.  Also we've watched lots of stand-up comedy.  

One reason I haven't cut the cord is that I have been thinking I would lose live sports.  Is that still true?

After I watched Netflix for about a week I cancelled HBO and Showtime.  The only thing I wanted to watch on Showtime was Ray Donovan, but now that's over.  HBO has a lot of great shows, but as of now, I've seen the ones I want to watch.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2020, 09:34 AM by RicoTx.)

(02-10-2020, 09:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 08:40 AM)Rico Wrote: Boy, I didn't realize how old this thread was.  I'm surprised I remembered this far back.

I haven't cut the cord, but I did get Netflix about a month ago and I have been binge-watching Narcos (warning: very dark and violent), and my wife and I have been binge-watching The Crown.  Also we've watched lots of stand-up comedy.  

One reason I haven't cut the cord is that I have been thinking I would lose live sports.  Is that still true?

After I watched Netflix for about a week I cancelled HBO and Showtime.  The only thing I wanted to watch on Showtime was Ray Donovan, but now that's over.  HBO has a lot of great shows, but as of now, I've seen the ones I want to watch.

This was my concern.  But...YouTube TV has "live" network TV as well as ESPN.  As a matter of fact, I was watching XFL and the Pebble Beach Pro-am as a 'test'.  I know Amazon also has "live" TV and there may be others.  But I haven't studied up on it in that depth yet.  Also, HBO has streaming service.  I would imagine Showtime does as well but I'm not 100% sure.

I cut the cord 3 years ago and have never looked back.

I had PlaystationVue for the majority of my time but they cut their service at the start of the new year. I got YoutubeTV and I really like it. Yes, it takes a little getting used to the interface but I showed my father in law (he's 70 something) and he seemed to pick it up quickly. I haven't missed a single sporting event that I've wanted to watch in 3 year. Unlimited DVR, On-Demand features as well as the price? It's pretty unbeatable at the moment. No need to pay for a dumb monthly fee just to have a clunky box collect dust. On YoutubeTV, you can put in who your favorite teams are and they will automatically record every game (again, unlimited DVR) AND they will hide the score for you! This was it doesn't get spoiled.

I could go on forever but if anyone wants more information, just DM me and I got you.

Long story short, switch and not look back. It's also free for a week so try it and if you really hate it, cancel.

(02-10-2020, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I cut the cord 3 years ago and have never looked back.

I had PlaystationVue for the majority of my time but they cut their service at the start of the new year. I got YoutubeTV and I really like it. Yes, it takes a little getting used to the interface but I showed my father in law (he's 70 something) and he seemed to pick it up quickly. I haven't missed a single sporting event that I've wanted to watch in 3 year. Unlimited DVR, On-Demand features as well as the price? It's pretty unbeatable at the moment. No need to pay for a dumb monthly fee just to have a clunky box collect dust. On YoutubeTV, you can put in who your favorite teams are and they will automatically record every game (again, unlimited DVR) AND they will hide the score for you! This was it doesn't get spoiled.

I could go on forever but if anyone wants more information, just DM me and I got you.

Long story short, switch and not look back. It's also free for a week so try it and if you really hate it, cancel.

I haven't looked at the DVR feature of YouTube TV yet.  That was once of the things I liked as I currently record 5 or 6 network shows that I don't want to lose track of.  There are a few 'cable' channels that my wife will miss but the cost, to me, offsets any drawbacks.  She'll be fine binge-watching shows once she gets the hang of it.

Like I said, I'm already going to cancel.  I have the YouTube TV free for 14 days (and just paid for DirecTV for this month) and then I'll be cancelling.

(02-10-2020, 09:52 AM)Rico Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I cut the cord 3 years ago and have never looked back.

I haven't looked at the DVR feature of YouTube TV yet.  That was once of the things I liked as I currently record 5 or 6 network shows that I don't want to lose track of.  There are a few 'cable' channels that my wife will miss but the cost, to me, offsets any drawbacks.  She'll be fine binge-watching shows once she gets the hang of it.

Like I said, I'm already going to cancel.  I have the YouTube TV free for 14 days (and just paid for DirecTV for this month) and then I'll be cancelling.
In about a month, you won't even be able to tell the difference between cable and your streaming service.

For Youtube, you can even change the guide so that all your favorite channels are at the top of the list so your wife doesn't even have to scroll. The DVR is simply incredible for YoutubeTV. 15 second fast forward option is pretty great. I happen to use a Firestick (amazon) and I like that better than the Roku but that's merely just personal preference.

I was nervous when I first switched but the 120 I have been saving each month has just made my beer fridge expand into something glorious.

(02-10-2020, 09:58 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 09:52 AM)Rico Wrote: I haven't looked at the DVR feature of YouTube TV yet.  That was once of the things I liked as I currently record 5 or 6 network shows that I don't want to lose track of.  There are a few 'cable' channels that my wife will miss but the cost, to me, offsets any drawbacks.  She'll be fine binge-watching shows once she gets the hang of it.

In about a month, you won't even be able to tell the difference between cable and your streaming service.

For Youtube, you can even change the guide so that all your favorite channels are at the top of the list so your wife doesn't even have to scroll. The DVR is simply incredible for YoutubeTV. 15 second fast forward option is pretty great. I happen to use a Firestick (amazon) and I like that better than the Roku but that's merely just personal preference.

I was nervous when I first switched but the 120 I have been saving each month has just made my beer fridge expand into something glorious.

That's funny.  I had a friend that said just the opposite...but as you said, personal preference.  I already had two smart TVs so I just needed the one Roku for the bedroom where I have a good TV, it's just dumb.

I feel comfortable with the learning curve, I just know from prior experience that my wife is not going to be happy about the (i.e. any) interface.  Like I said, she never could comprehend the idea that the guide button brings up...you know...the channel guide.  She would (and does), without fail hit the menu button and bring up all of the settings.  Part of it is (and I think the biggest part for non tech people) fear of technology.  I think my advantage, per say, is that I am in the tech field and even though I'm an old fart I have to stay on top of things.  Oh well, in a couple of weeks she's going to have to 'get it'.