Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Vinny Curry off the Market

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer'>Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/694668895651627009' title="6:49 PM - 2 Feb 2016">2m2 minutes ago</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Eagles DE Vinny Curry has agreed to a five-year deal worth $47.25 million. $23 million guaranteed.

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p class="" style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">I liked him as a plan B to Olivier Vernon, but Phily gave him some serious money.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Phillys locking up errybody.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016, 08:29 PM by knarnn.)

Geesh that's a fat contract. Definitely sets the tone for the free agency DE market. Vernon will get paid now. Hopefully the Dolphins will balk at his asking price.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Bummer.  :mellow:

I bet Vernon is seriously licking his chops now after seeing that deal.

Quote:Geesh that's a fat contract. Definitely sets the tone for the free agency DE market. Vernon will get paid now. Hopefully the Dolphins will balk at his asking price.

I wouldn't worry much about Miami, they're already expected to be over the cap.

Quote:Bummer. :mellow:

I bet Vernon is seriously licking his chops now after seeing that deal.

It's possible this could work in our favor. If Olivier and his agent use this as their baseline, then he could potentially out-price himself right out of Miami. Without doing some serious contract restructuring, the only way I could see Vernon being retained in Miami is via the franchise tag. Not sure I can see Miami giving Vernon a 14M deal via the tag.

I hope Dave is waiting with open arms to sign Vernon to a 10M+ contract.

Quote:It's possible this could work in our favor. If Olivier and his agent use this as their baseline, then he could potentially out-price himself right out of Miami. Without doing some serious contract restructuring, the only way I could see Vernon being retained in Miami is via the franchise tag. Not sure I can see Miami giving Vernon a 14M deal via the tag.

I hope Dave is waiting with open arms to sign Vernon to a 10M+ contract.
I don't see him staying in Miami at all. They don't have the cap space and would have to work some serious magic. Franchise tag would really be the only way I believe, but they need help else where also.

I easily see a 5 year 50-53 mil contract for Vernon in coming, with probably about 30mil guaranteed.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016, 08:57 PM by ATLjag.)

I was listening to a Miami Herald beat writer (unfortunately don't remember his name) for the Dolphins about 2 weeks ago on the ESPN station out of Miami discussing in-depth the Miami free agency situation.  They currently have no cap, but will create cap with re-working some contracts, including Suh's astronomical hit this year, turning salary to roster bonus to mortgage the future.  However, he said his sources have indicated that they do not expect to be able to re-sign Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller.  

Vernon and his agent are smiling widely when they view the Curry contract.  I thought Vernon would be worth about $8m per year.  But with Curry getting just under $10m per year, Vernon should possibly get $10m+ now.  With the price of pass rushers going up like this, it shows how important to a team's cap health it is to grab them in the draft when possible.     

DC just give me Vernon or give me...I think he knows the importance of adding him to this roster.

With that said it'll be a slap in the face if he goes elsewhere

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Quote:Geesh that's a fat contract. Definitely sets the tone for the free agency DE market. Vernon will get paid now. Hopefully the Dolphins will balk at his asking price.

I certainly didn't expect Vinny Curry to receive such a lucrative contract,  even with the salary cap expected to significantly increase in 2016.

Good times sure seem ahead for Olivier Vernon and his agent!

With all that money they gave Suh, I don't see how they can.

Of course, I'm no capologist, but all of the talk after the Suh signing last year was how it hamstrung the Dolphins' cap.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Is Vernon even that good honestly? Havnt seen him play other than against us this year.

Quote:Is Vernon even that good honestly? Havnt seen him play other than against us this year.

There are concerns that he was a role player in a good defense. I've read that since he lined up opposite Cameron Wake, he profited from one on one blocking. He did have a monster day versus Tennessee this past season, but other than that I couldn't tell you how he played.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Is Vernon even that good honestly? Havnt seen him play other than against us this year.

He has 29 sacks over the last 4 years and will be 25 at the start of the season. He was a very raw player coming into the league so the hype is you could be getting a 25 YO pass rusher who is just coming into his peak.

Also, according to PFF, he had a single season record of QB hits (by a 43 end) with 27, 3rd most for total pressures (79), and was 6th in QB pressures.

The biggest complaint I have seen with him, is he is a bit dirty and will occasionally get a dumb penalty with a hit on a QB.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016, 11:32 AM by JackCity.)

Looking at this years free agent pass rushers its fairly slim pickings so hopefully Shad will give him a fat was of cash.

I can see it being a dog fight between us,the Raiders and the Bucs for Vernon.

Being a Herd fan, obviously I'm a Vinny Curry fan and root for him to succeed.

That being said, I'm genuinely surprised he got paid THAT much money. I mean, he's good, but I didn't think he had much more impact than being a solid role/depth player. Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

I will say that I believe he has the potential to be one of the better pass rushers in the league though.

Quote:Being a Herd fan, obviously I'm a Vinny Curry fan and root for him to succeed.

That being said, I'm genuinely surprised he got paid THAT much money. I mean, he's good, but I didn't think he had much more impact than being a solid role/depth player. Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

I will say that I believe he has the potential to be one of the better pass rushers in the league though.
He was playing out of position in that 3-4 the Eagles ran. They're going back to a 4-3 front now and he'll be playing back where he should be, as a 4-3 DE.

He was a solid role/depth player in that 3-4. There's a lot of buzz about him really breaking out next season though. I guess the Eagles believe that as well.