Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Waiting for Wilson

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016, 07:45 PM by JackCity.)

Also compare Seattle's run blocking to ours..night and day despite El senor Yeldons best efforts.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Ummm. No. (nothing personal - I like Wilson just fine - but you may not realize how bad the lines have been here)

Our line this season was the best it's been in 4 years and our QB still took an ungodly number of hits. 

While Wilson may have "been fine"  physically, his production numbers would have been significantly less had he played in Jax since being drafted.  I'd bet my right arm on it. 

I'd bet your right arm on it too.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I like the way Bortles climbs the pocket, whereas Wilson likes to escape the pocket

Quote:5 good games against mediocre defenses doesn't make him a good pocket passer.  He played minnesota well in the regular season when their 3 best players were out and in the playoffs made the majority of his yards on one broken play.  

Ya he had 5 good games from the pocket against terrible defenses, that does not make him a very good pocket passer he is not a very good pocket passer against any team with a decent defense.

He had 100+ rating inside the pocket in his first two seasons in the league playing in arguably the best division in football over that period.

Quote:Ummm. No. (nothing personal - I like Wilson just fine - but you may not realize how bad the lines have been here)

Our line this season was the best it's been in 4 years and our QB still took an ungodly number of hits. 

While Wilson may have "been fine"  physically, his production numbers would have been significantly less had he played in Jax since being drafted.  I'd bet my right arm on it. 

I've gone through FO OL rankings for pass protection since 2012 when Wilson was drafted.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

2012: JAC 22 (50 allowed sacks); SEA 20 (33 allowed sacks)

2013: JAC 24 (50); SEA 32 (44)

2014: JAC 32 (71); SEA 24 (42)

2015: JAC 25 (51): SEA 30 (46)

average ranking: JAC 26; SEA 27

average sacks allowed: JAC 55,5; SEA 41,25

While it's true your OL has allowed more sacks, this can be contributed to Wilson being better athlete than Bortles and Henne and he has turn a lot of would be sacks into something positive (or at least he has thrown the ball away).

And also this:

[Image: wilson.png]

You can disagree, but I stand by my statement that he would be just fine playing behind Jags (or any other) OL. Would he been to two Super Bowls in first four years with another team? Probably not, because that's not only up to him, but I think he would be productive in any team/system. I even think his personal stats would be better in first three seasons if he was in a team, where he had to pass more and also had a true #1 WR. Don't forget that his two most used targets so far were former UDFAs (Baldwin and Kearse). 

The fact that wilson is ahead of him right now doesnt mean hes a bad player. It doesnt mean hes not a franchise player. It doesnt mean he wont be a top 5 qb. Its just an honest reflection that hes playing better than him right now.

Quote:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

2012: JAC 22 (50 allowed sacks); SEA 20 (33 allowed sacks)

2013: JAC 24 (50); SEA 32 (44)

2014: JAC 32 (71); SEA 24 (42)

2015: JAC 25 (51): SEA 30 (46)

average ranking: JAC 26; SEA 27

average sacks allowed: JAC 55,5; SEA 41,25

While it's true your OL has allowed more sacks, this can be contributed to Wilson being better athlete than Bortles and Henne and he has turn a lot of would be sacks into something positive (or at least he has thrown the ball away).

You can disagree, but I stand by my statement that he would be just fine playing behind Jags (or any other) OL. Would he been to two Super Bowls in first four years with another team? Probably not, because that's not only up to him, but I think he would be productive in any team/system. I even think his personal stats would be better in first three seasons if he was in a team, where he had to pass more and also had a true #1 WR. Don't forget that his two most used targets so far were former UDFAs (Baldwin and Kearse). 
First off in that four year period the jags have allowed 57 more sacks so the average ranking of jags 26 vs hawks 27 makes no sense.  Add in you guys ran the ball a ton those first three years and we have had 0 run game for the last 5 years.  Meaning teams just focused on the pass rush vs us.  Then to say Wilson is a better athlete then Bortles, although I agree I think you are completely underestimating the number of sacks Bortles got out of his rookie year.

Now as far as the eye test goes I have seen numerous games in the last few years of Wilson sitting back with all day to throw against zero pass rush and taking off out of the pocket for no reason.  I  can't remember the last time a Jaguars QB had all the time in the world to make a play.  

two most used targets were undrafted, so is one of ours.  The other number one you called was not viewed by anyone outside this building as a number one going into this season.

Wilson is supposed to be better he has been in the league longer and has been on a better team.  With that said I would still rather have Bortles for the long and short term

LASTLY don't ever use QBR as an indicator of talent at that position 

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2016, 10:54 AM by KL1gus.)

Bortles runs into sacks a lot more than he gets out of. It is clearly something he needs to work on as Olson even told.

Russell Wilson manages bad OL much better than Bortles right now.

MJD + Russell Wilson would have been deadly with a decent and a little open minded (to the option) offensive mind.

Quote:Now as far as the eye test goes I have seen numerous games in the last few years of Wilson sitting back with all day to throw against zero pass rush and taking off out of the pocket for no reason.  I  can't remember the last time a Jaguars QB had all the time in the world to make a play.  

That's because no Jaguar QB has been able to punish teams sending the house at them until this year.

Quote:Bortles runs into sacks a lot more than he gets out of. It is clearly something he needs to work on as Olson even told.

Russell Wilson manages bad OL much better than Bortles right now.

a pocket collapsing is not the same as running into a sack.  I don't think running around 20-30 yards behind the LOS and throwing up a prayer pass is managing a bad OL

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Wilson wouldn't have lasted with this team. He would've been asked to do way too much

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Ur sick in the head. I love blake but russel is on Another level. If we resigned podlesh i have very little doubt he would have been the pick. Hes everything gene believed in.
Nope. Even if we'd re-signed Podlesh, Wilson wasn't coming here. Two reasons:

1. People kinda sorta knew who he was.

2. He went to way too big a school in Wisconsin.

Gene probably would have drafted Chandler Harnish. He ticks all the boxes. No one's ever heard of him, he went to a small school, and no one would have ever seen that pick coming in round three--further proof that Gene is the smartest guy in the room.