Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Sad Day in Jaguars History

Back when Jacksonville was competing with several other cities to receive the 29th and 30th NFL franchises back in the early 1990s, Jacksonville's efforts were popular to mock or ignore by the national media and other cities.  But perhaps of all of the other cities vying for the two franchises during that time, Charlotte was the one with whom Jacksonville had the most antipathy.  Sports columnists would snipe at each other.  Radio stations would take digs at the other.  There were media personalities that made bets involving kissing pigs and feet over who would get the NFL franchise.

When both cities were awarded the franchises, the competition continued.  Budding fanbases went back and forth over which team would be the most successful.  The race was on to see who would reach and win the Super Bowl first.  Initially, Carolina was the media darlings.  Signing a bunch of blue hairs, Carolina microwaved themselves a record setting franchise, that won 7 games their first year and reached the conference championship their second year.

Jacksonville took a longer term approach.  We went younger, and took more lumps early.  the Jaguars went 4-12 the first year, and struggled for much of the second year.  But despite the early struggles, by the second year, this was a team with talent and potential.  Two noteworthy wins during the first part of that second year were over then rivals Pittsburgh and a cathartic win over Carolina.  By the end of the year, we, too, reached the conference title game. 

Carolina fell off quickly, while Jacksonville remained contenders for three more years.  Our year was supposed to be 1999.  We finished the regular season 14-2.  The way things were going, it seemed the sun would never set on the budding Jaguars empire.  Sadly though, it seems the sun never fully rose.  The team never reached the Super Bowl, then fell off in 2000 due to injuries and salary cap issues that lingered through the 2003 season. 

However, Carolina bounced back from the ashes of being the worst team in football and, in 2003, reached the Super Bowl, losing in the last minute to New England.  While that was a setback for the Jaguars, there was some solace to be had.  Carlina was the first to a Super Bowl, but they still did not have that ring or Lombardi trophy.  They had fallen off again.  Old time Jaguars fans could believe Carolina just got hot at the right time and made it in, but they didn't go back. They didn't sustain the winning.

But now, Carolina has culminated a dominating 15-1 season by reaching their second Super Bowl.  They capitalized on the first time they had home field advantage, reaching their second Super Bowl in their 21 year history.  They have a good chance to actually win this time.

Right now, looking back, it's clear they have been more successful than we have been.  Hopefully, this will motivate this franchise anew to reach those heights of success.  But seeing Carolina do this is sickening to me.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It was done the correct way to establish a long lasting successful franchise. They utilised the youth movement of the draft.. Unfortunately, the guy making the choices at the draft was a blatant idiot and set this franchise back and behind for years and years..

Thank god those days are about done.. Right? I hope?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Jacksonville Jaguars overall record (including playoffs) 157-190

Carolina Panthers overall record (including playoffs) 175-175-1

Carolina W/L over Jax is just under 20 games which equates to 2 seasons. 

This is not really a big deal, if anything Jax had more success early and Carolina has had more success of late

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Jacksonville Jaguars overall record (including playoffs) 157-190

Carolina Panthers overall record (including playoffs) 175-175-1

Carolina W/L over Jax is just under 20 games which equates to 2 seasons. 

This is not really a big deal, if anything Jax had more success early and Carolina has had more success of late
To me, having our earliest competitor be in two Super Bowls (possibly winning one in a couple of weeks), while we have yet to reach our first one is a HUGE frigging deal. 

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

For a Carolina perspective....we don't feel like we have achieved more than you. Sure we're headed to our second SB but we haven't won anything. Our overall records are pretty even. I think it's more that your recent lack of success makes it feel like we've done more.

Also....Panthers fans don't typically see the Jags as a rival because we entered the league together. The common sense it that we're more like cat bros, especially since we only play once every 4 years

Quote:For a Carolina perspective....we don't feel like we have achieved more than you. Sure we're headed to our second SB but we haven't won anything. Our overall records are pretty even. I think it's more that your recent lack of success makes it feel like we've done more.

Also....Panthers fans don't typically see the Jags as a rival because we entered the league together. The common sense it that we're more like cat bros, especially since we only play once every 4 years

Exactly. This season is actually the first that I have seen Jaguars fans call the Panthers our rivals because they started playing at the same time. It is pretty obvious nobody cared about that when both teams were losing.

I'm envious and jealous of course.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Meh, who cares.

meanwhile we have another 5-11 season to look forward to with sprinkles as HC. 

Quote:meanwhile we have another 5-11 season to look forward to with sprinkles as HC. 

Get out of here. The arrow is pointing up.

If we could have had Dave Caldwell earlier, in replace of Gene Smith, I'm confident we'd be in a far different place.

Gene set this franchise back years with his drafting and free agent signings like Porter.

Quote:For a Carolina perspective....we don't feel like we have achieved more than you. Sure we're headed to our second SB but we haven't won anything. Our overall records are pretty even. I think it's more that your recent lack of success makes it feel like we've done more.

Boy was I wrong about the Panthers this year...

Good luck to you guys in the super bowl. I'll be rooting for the Broncos only because my brother lives in Denver.

Oh, and cam Newton bugs me.

But you got a good team there...

Quote:Boy was I wrong about the Panthers this year...

Good luck to you guys in the super bowl. I'll be rooting for the Broncos only because my brother lives in Denver.

Ha....no hard feelings. I certainly knew we had a chance to be good when I was here before week one talking with you guys, but obviously never expected this. Especially without KB.

Fun fact and kinda relates to this thread: the two times we've gone to the SB we beat the Jags in week one.

Quote:Boy was I wrong about the Panthers this year...

Why do so many fans hate Cam Newton?

I think most people were wrong about the Panthers. All year they accused the media of disrespecting them.

Quote:Ha....no hard feelings. I certainly knew we had a chance to be good when I was here before week one talking with you guys, but obviously never expected this. Especially without KB.

Fun fact and kinda relates to this thread: the two times we've gone to the SB we beat the Jags in week one.

That is a weird coincidence.

Who is KB?

Quote:That is a weird coincidence.

Who is KB?

Kelvin Benjamin.