Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bloodborne - gameplay and strategy

So I was talking with Bullseye and RealtorPat amongst others about this game and I wanted to start up a new thread on it.

To me, the game is intensely difficult and I'm stuck in a Do-Loop where I am at a Lantern (save point) and I can move on from there, but I get so beat up that I have to go back to the Lantern to replenish my supplies. I've cleared Yarnham and have gotten to a spot where you walk through a farmhouse and approach a church (I'll see if I can't dig up a few more specifics). Anyone have suggestions on this game?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So I was talking with Bullseye and RealtorPat amongst others about this game and I wanted to start up a new thread on it.

To me, the game is intensely difficult and I'm stuck in a Do-Loop where I am at a Lantern (save point) and I can move on from there, but I get so beat up that I have to go back to the Lantern to replenish my supplies. I've cleared Yarnham and have gotten to a spot where you walk through a farmhouse and approach a church (I'll see if I can't dig up a few more specifics). Anyone have suggestions on this game?
This is probably more than you want, but...

http://www.ign.com/wikis/bloodborne/Walkthrough

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2016, 03:06 PM by realtorpat.)

biggest thing is to proceed carefully where ever you go, don't run into a crowd try and take things out one at a time.  The other thing is to really investigate the different areas.  Oftentimes with these games you miss paths that lead you forward or to areas with quality weapons.  The best thing you can do is kill as many things as possible and backtrack, things don't come back to life unless you reset the lantern so if you kill everything and see a living enemy somewhere you know you haven't gone that way, it is very easy to get lost in the game the maps are also highly connected throughout the game.  

It helps to farm early so you can level up and survive longer but at some point level doesn't really matter as much as skill does.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloodborne+Wiki   is the best wiki out there, avoid the walkthrough section but look at the game progress section, item descriptions and all your weapon info is in there.  The weapon scaling takes a while to understand but really teaches you the value of certain weapons, I've played most of the game so far with the threaded cane which seems like the weakest weapon in the game but because of scaling its actually pretty awesome.  A Huge part of this game is making mistakes and learning from them, this isn't your modern game that holds your hand through tutorials and training missions.  These games throw you into the game to sink or swim and once you get a taste for them it becomes hard to play games that baby you throughout.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

i finally beat a boss that was a pain for a long time in that game this stupid spider thing.

Go Jags!

Quote:This is probably more than you want, but...

http://www.ign.com/wikis/bloodborne/Walkthrough

I appreciate it, but I'm trying to get away from walkthroughs. Hell, I spent all that money on the game I ain't gonna let some geek play it for me! I'm my own geek!

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:biggest thing is to proceed carefully where ever you go, don't run into a crowd try and take things out one at a time.  The other thing is to really investigate the different areas.  Oftentimes with these games you miss paths that lead you forward or to areas with quality weapons.  The best thing you can do is kill as many things as possible and backtrack, things don't come back to life unless you reset the lantern so if you kill everything and see a living enemy somewhere you know you haven't gone that way, it is very easy to get lost in the game the maps are also highly connected throughout the game.  

It helps to farm early so you can level up and survive longer but at some point level doesn't really matter as much as skill does.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloodborne+Wiki   is the best wiki out there, avoid the walkthrough section but look at the game progress section, item descriptions and all your weapon info is in there.  The weapon scaling takes a while to understand but really teaches you the value of certain weapons, I've played most of the game so far with the threaded cane which seems like the weakest weapon in the game but because of scaling its actually pretty awesome.  A Huge part of this game is making mistakes and learning from them, this isn't your modern game that holds your hand through tutorials and training missions.  These games throw you into the game to sink or swim and once you get a taste for them it becomes hard to play games that baby you throughout.

I think that was my problem. I got too used to games walking me through the first part that I never bothered to really get into the details of the thing. Thanks for the tips!

Quote:I appreciate it, but I'm trying to get away from walkthroughs. Hell, I spent all that money on the game I ain't gonna let some geek play it for me! I'm my own geek!
I don't like being walkthrough dependent, either.

I only use as a last resort, when I am completely stuck.  I try to read just enough to "unstuck" myself.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I don't like being walkthrough dependent, either.

I only use as a last resort, when I am completely stuck.  I try to read just enough to "unstuck" myself.

I do that, and then the games with "collectables" I use it to go back and pick them all up. I cannot stand letting stuff like that go. Drives me nuts.

Quote:I do that, and then the games with "collectables" I use it to go back and pick them all up. I cannot stand letting stuff like that go. Drives me nuts.

This game will drive you nuts lol,  for an example in DarkSouls 2 this is one of the shields thats pretty difficult to find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45JnLx8iMP0

Go Jags!

Quote:biggest thing is to proceed carefully where ever you go, don't run into a crowd try and take things out one at a time.  The other thing is to really investigate the different areas.  Oftentimes with these games you miss paths that lead you forward or to areas with quality weapons.  The best thing you can do is kill as many things as possible and backtrack, things don't come back to life unless you reset the lantern so if you kill everything and see a living enemy somewhere you know you haven't gone that way, it is very easy to get lost in the game the maps are also highly connected throughout the game.  

Again, thanks for this. I probably spent too much time reading through the Wiki page but that was very helpful.

Quote:Again, thanks for this. I probably spent too much time reading through the Wiki page but that was very helpful.

i refer back to it pretty often that forum pages hosts the other souls games as well.  The game is all about building a character so it helps to see the end path you are going for and really customize your character.  The other thing is boss battles are usually tough and rarely a first try success ordeal and the strategies are pretty spread out but gives good tips.  I tend to try a boss a few times before I refer to the tips on beating them.

few games out there give you the satisfaction these do when you achieve something in the game.

Go Jags!

I like the "idea" of the Threaded Cane since it is so versatile, but the heavy hitter tendency in me just defaults to the medium weapon in the Saw Cleaver. I guess it'll just have to be a path I go down.

Quote:I like the "idea" of the Threaded Cane since it is so versatile, but the heavy hitter tendency in me just defaults to the medium weapon in the Saw Cleaver. I guess it'll just have to be a path I go down.
ya i upgraded to the kirkhammer as soon as i found it, i basically rotate that with the threaded cane and a sword/greatsword combo.  In all of their games I end up doing the heavy hitter route, i try and do medium buff builds but it always seems to revert back to heavy hitting

Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2016, 03:29 PM by Deacon.)

Question for you; there is a gold "dot" right underneath the bullet icon on the Main screen. Any idea what that indicates?

Nevermind. Found it.

Quote:So I was talking with Bullseye and RealtorPat amongst others about this game and I wanted to start up a new thread on it.

Sounds like you're in the Forbidden Forest. I wish I could help but I haven't been there in so long.

But like other people said, the game is definitely about patience and knowing which direction to dodge. Spamming back dodge to get away from attacks is a bad habit to get into, one that shaved off a few hours of my life against Gascoigne when I first started

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Sounds like you're in the Forbidden Forest. I wish I could help but I haven't been there in so long.

But like other people said, the game is definitely about patience and knowing which direction to dodge. Spamming back dodge to get away from attacks is a bad habit to get into, one that shaved off a few hours of my life against Gascoigne when I first started

I'm avoiding the Good Padre right now while I farm out. I'm just walking around mashing most anything that moves in order to level up my STR and SKL to at least 20 before I go in there. Cool thing is, I'm becoming a much better player as well as a stronger character, and I'm getting the tools to upgrade my gear.

What Origin did you select? And do you feel like it matters all that much?

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2016, 01:01 PM by Jagwired'd.)

Quote:I'm avoiding the Good Padre right now while I farm out. I'm just walking around mashing most anything that moves in order to level up my STR and SKL to at least 20 before I go in there. Cool thing is, I'm becoming a much better player as well as a stronger character, and I'm getting the tools to upgrade my gear.

Origin only really matters if you plan on min-maxing or PvPing, but otherwise not really. If you pick an origin for a specific stat and decide early on that you want to change it up you can always just level something else. The soft caps for the Arcane and Tinge stats are 25 and for STR and SKL it's 40, so once you pass those you'll be getting diminished gains. I forget what it is for Vitality and Endurance, I think it's 50 for those

I went with Noble Scion since I wanted to make a bloodtinge + skill player. Simon's Bowblade from the Old Hunters DLC made a lot of the bosses really easy

But yeah that's what I loved about the Souls games but Bloodborne specifically, was that the more I played the better I got at the genre in general, and when I went back to the Souls games I was surprised by how easy it was after being tortured in Bloodborne. Bloodborne, in my opinion, is significantly harder than any of the Souls games.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Sounds like you're in the Forbidden Forest. I wish I could help but I haven't been there in so long.

I have to say Gascoigne might be the most fun fight in the game

Go Jags!

Quote:I'm avoiding the Good Padre right now while I farm out. I'm just walking around mashing most anything that moves in order to level up my STR and SKL to at least 20 before I go in there. Cool thing is, I'm becoming a much better player as well as a stronger character, and I'm getting the tools to upgrade my gear.

Origin never really matters because as you level up it tends to look the same eventually.  Only thing it really helps is if you have a specific build in mind, which also doesn't really help until you've been through the game and understand the mechanics more.

Go Jags!

Quote:But yeah that's what I loved about the Souls games but Bloodborne specifically, was that the more I played the better I got at the genre in general, and when I went back to the Souls games I was surprised by how easy it was after being tortured in Bloodborne. Bloodborne, in my opinion, is significantly harder than any of the Souls games.

I haven't gone back and played souls since bloodborne but I imagine It would be the same, I tend to over rely on a shield in souls.  I think in BB it is easier to get healing supplies than it is in the souls games.  I really like how the bosses changes during the fights.  

Go Jags!