Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could Marvin Lewis lose his job?

Lack of discipline obviously cost the Bengals last night. The HC is responsible for that. So in the aftermath of Vontaze Burfict's PF and Adam Jones' UC penalties, some people think Marvin Lewis should be fired.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...rvin-lewis

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Lack of discipline obviously cost the Bengals last night. The HC is responsible for that. So in the aftermath of Vontaze Burfict's PF and Adam Jones' UC penalties, some people think Marvin Lewis should be fired.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...rvin-lewis

If 0-6 in the playoffs wasn't enough to get ownership to move in a new direction then I doubt another meltdown will do it either. The bengals are following the Dave and Shad approach to coaching, better to stick with someone bad than to take a chance at getting better.

Quote:If 0-6 in the playoffs wasn't enough to get ownership to move in a new direction then I doubt another meltdown will do it either. The bengals are following the Dave and Shad approach to coaching, better to stick with someone bad than to take a chance at getting better.

What other organization would stick with a HC that is 0-7 in the postseason over the past 10 years?

Only Cincy.

The Jags wouldn't even be that crazy, would they?

Quote:What other organization would stick with a HC that is 0-7 in the postseason over the past 10 years?

Only Cincy.

If they were a team with no talent that was continually getting there because they win all of the close games and the coach is always pulling just the right strings and getting his players ready for what's coming every week I could see sticking with him in spite of losing in the playoffs to teams of superior talent, but the bengals actually have the talent to compete with the best in the league, even with their QB purgatory situation, but 0-7 in the playoffs should say enough to anyone paying attention.

If Marvin Lewis did lose his job,  my guess is he would be hired as an NFL HC this year or in 2017.   Even with all of the playoff losses,  the Bengals regular season performances are hard to overlook for teams that currently are in far worse situations than the Bengals.   Marvin Lewis probably would get the key to the city to come to Cleveland as the home team's HC!

Quote:What other organization would stick with a HC that is 0-7 in the postseason over the past 10 years?

Only Cincy.

Remember the Jaguars never had a 7-year playoff streak. What they have had is a bunch of disciplined players who don't lose games the way Vontaze Burfict did.

Quote:Remember the Jaguars never had a 7-year playoff streak. What they have had is a bunch of disciplined players who don't lose games the way Vontaze Burfict did.

The Jaguars dont win and they are undisciplined.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:The Jaguars dont win and they are undisciplined.

So true. Does no one remember the only colts TD drive in their first meeting this season?

Quote:The Jaguars dont win and they are undisciplined.

Hater

Quote:If they were a team with no talent that was continually getting there because they win all of the close games and the coach is always pulling just the right strings and getting his players ready for what's coming every week I could see sticking with him in spite of losing in the playoffs to teams of superior talent, but the bengals actually have the talent to compete with the best in the league, even with their QB purgatory situation, but 0-7 in the playoffs should say enough to anyone paying attention.

Agree. They've had a top 5 talented roster in the NFL for a long time (even the last "generation" team Carson Palmer, Ocho, etc. That O-line and defense was crazy good too).

There's no reason they shouldn't have been moving on in the playoffs other than the coaching. They are terribly undisciplined and get out-coached in alot of situations during the past decade.

It's not just Dalton. Marvin Lewis has now lost playoff games with:

Carson Palmer

Andy Dalton

Jon Kitna

AJ McCarron

Although those last 2 QBs are far from stellar,, AJ McCarron and that defense had the game won last night, only to see it fall apart in less than 2 minutes.

Lewis should go. But he won't.

Quote:So true. Does no one remember the only colts TD drive in their first meeting this season?

Unfortunately I do remember that. Luckily for us though, we had a chance to redeem ourselves at the end 

If the Bengals can get a coach like Coughlin, I could see Lewis being sent packing.

I think the Bengals have the most talented roster in the nfl. It's amazing to me that they keep losing big games.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Hater

Yes, I hate dumb takes that conflict with reality.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Agree. They've had a top 5 talented roster in the NFL for a long time (even the last "generation" team Carson Palmer, Ocho, etc. That O-line and defense was crazy good too).

There's no reason they shouldn't have been moving on in the playoffs other than the coaching. They are terribly undisciplined and get out-coached in alot of situations during the past decade.

It's not just Dalton. Marvin Lewis has now lost playoff games with:

Carson Palmer

Andy Dalton

Jon Kitna

AJ McCarron

Although those last 2 QBs are far from stellar,, AJ McCarron and that defense had the game won last night, only to see it fall apart in less than 2 minutes.

Lewis should go. But he won't.

jagherd,  if given the choice,  based on available options internally and externally,  who would you like to see as the Bengals HC in 2016?

Quote:If the Bengals can get a coach like Coughlin, I could see Lewis being sent packing.

I think the Bengals have the most talented roster in the NFL. It's amazing to me that they keep losing big games.

The Cardinals might have something to say about that.

Quote: jagherd, if given the choice, based on available options internally and externally, who would you like to see as the Bengals HC in 2016?
That's the thing, I don't know enough about all the people that are available for coaching positions to really have an informed idea.

Marvin Lewis may still be the best option, but losing 7 playoff games in 10 seasons has got to hold some type of weight, doesn't it?

That said, just getting to the playoffs 7 of 10 years, and doing it in the ultra competitive AFCN is no small feat. The Ravens and Steelers almost always have their "hats in the ring" too, so to speak.

I was desperately hoping that Cincy would promote Mike Zimmer to HC 3 seasons ago. They didn't pull the trigger, and watched Zimmer (and Gruden) get HC gigs elsewhere.

Maybe Hue Jackson would get the job if they do let go of Lewis.

Quote:That's the thing, I don't know enough about all the people that are available for coaching positions to really have an informed idea.

Marvin Lewis may still be the best option, but losing 7 playoff games in 10 seasons has got to hold some type of weight, doesn't it?

That said, just getting to the playoffs 7 of 10 years, and doing it in the ultra competitive AFCN is no small feat. The Ravens and Steelers almost always have their "hats in the ring" too, so to speak.

I was desperately hoping that Cincy would promote Mike Zimmer to HC 3 seasons ago. They didn't pull the trigger, and watched Zimmer (and Gruden) get HC gigs elsewhere.

Maybe Hue Jackson would get the job if they do let go of Lewis.

There's no question that the repeated playoff losses have to be factored in heavily in the decision making process.   Especially,  considering facts that you presented earlier in the thread.   I'm glad I don't have to make the decision on Marvin Lewis'  future with the Bengals,  as it's a tough call for Mike Brown and his family.  

I'm certainly not surprised about the success Mike Zimmer is having in Minnesota.   There aren't many coaches that have the combination of Defensive football knowledge and passion that Zimmer has.    In addition,  he surrounded himself with a top flight Coordinator on Offense and on Special Teams.  

Hue Jackson's services seem to be in demand.   There was a report the other day that he's the front runner for the 49ers HC job.   Though the Dolphins HC position has been filed,  Jackson has two interviews scheduled for today  ( SF and Cleveland ).   It remains to be seen if the interviews will be pushed back based on the Bengals season ending the way it did.  

Though I believe Mike Brown would go internally if he decides to replace Marvin Lewis,   it might be best for the Bengals to have a fresh perspective if Lewis is let go.  

Jim Caldwell's future will probably be decided by Lions new G.M.  Bob Quinn today or tomorrow.   If Caldwell is let go,   I think he would be a very good fit for the Bengals.  Especially,  since he stresses players remaining under control.    Caldwell's familiarity with the AFC North from his Ravens coaching days would also help.   

Refs screwed Cinci all through that game and anyone with a brain knew it was coming. Marvin should've prepared his guys to keep their heads regardless and they didn't. 

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2016, 12:59 PM by jagherd.)

Quote:Refs screwed Cinci all through that game and anyone with a brain knew it was coming. Marvin should've prepared his guys to keep their heads regardless and they didn't.
I agree on both points. Lewis absolutely should've prepared his guys to keep their heads.

And, NFL football, especially in the playoffs is big time business. The Steelers always seem to get the favor of officiating (I'm not a conspiracy guy,, but it is a pretty obvious observation). Conspiracy time (if I was to believe one): Big Ben and the Steelers draw MUCH more viewing and revenue than some other franchises. Having them deep.in the playoffs is just good business.

Quote: There's no question that the repeated playoff losses have to be factored in heavily in the decision making process. Especially, considering facts that you presented earlier in the thread. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision on Marvin Lewis' future with the Bengals, as it's a tough call for Mike Brown and his family.

I'm certainly not surprised about the success Mike Zimmer is having in Minnesota. There aren't many coaches that have the combination of Defensive football knowledge and passion that Zimmer has. In addition, he surrounded himself with a top flight Coordinator on Offense and on Special Teams.

Hue Jackson's services seem to be in demand. There was a report the other day that he's the front runner for the 49ers HC job. Though the Dolphins HC position has been filed, Jackson has two interviews scheduled for today ( SF and Cleveland ). It remains to be seen if the interviews will be pushed back based on the Bengals season ending the way it did.

Though I believe Mike Brown would go internally if he decides to replace Marvin Lewis, it might be best for the Bengals to have a fresh perspective if Lewis is let go.

Jim Caldwell's future will probably be decided by Lions new G.M. Bob Quinn today or tomorrow. If Caldwell is let go, I think he would be a very good fit for the Bengals. Especially, since he stresses players remaining under control. Caldwell's familiarity with the AFC North from his Ravens coaching days would also help.

I didn't consider Caldwell. That is a really good point about his AFCN ties. It may be something strongly considered if Mike Brown does make a change.