Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bring back TC

I know many people are going to discount this idea the moment they read it, but think about it; he is far enough removed from his previous regime in Jax to where comparisons would be almost moot; he could hide a currently below average O-Line and get the most out of our emerging young offensive talent; his players love and respect him; he would bring much needed discipline and accountablilty to a team desperately needing both; he would build a tough defense and hire a proven coordinator (remember Dom Capers?) and would give this team a toughness mentality that they frankly haven't had since he left.  He has shown he can turn a team around in a 1 to 2 year window and get them deep into the playoffs.  Anyone out there think this current regime is capable of doing that?

"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

i wouldnt mind seeing him come in and help Gus out some with his experience

Watching his press conference this morning...

#LEADER

Quote:I know many people are going to discount this idea the moment they read it, but think about it; he is far enough removed from his previous regime in Jax to where comparisons would be almost moot; he could hide a currently below average O-Line and get the most out of our emerging young offensive talent; his players love and respect him; he would bring much needed discipline and accountablilty to a team desperately needing both; he would build a tough defense and hire a proven coordinator (remember Dom Capers?) and would give this team a toughness mentality that they frankly haven't had since he left.  He has shown he can turn a team around in a 1 to 2 year window and get them deep into the playoffs.  Anyone out there think this current regime is capable of doing that?

I love what Tom did a long time ago (although I did tire of his Get Off My Lawn! act) - but did you not see any Giants games this year. Really poor management of many games they could/should have won.

If the Jaguars lost any game like Coughlin did in four or five with the Giants the board yahoos would be calling for his scalp. He won 12 more than he lost in twelve years with the Giants. Do you really think his record would be all that great here? If he can turn around a team in one or two years why hasn't he done it in NY?

What makes you think the defense would have been better with Coughlin? Because he's tough and no nonsense? Please. He had to soften his image in NY because he was about to be fired. He's an offensive guy. The Jaguars are ok there. His problem in NY was with the defense, and he'd have the same problem here.

I understand the pull of nostalgia, but I think it's blinding people to the reality of the Giants during the past four years.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Adam2012, you make some good points, especially regarding game management (Saints, Falcons, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots and Panthers come to mind; which I did happen to see), but regarding him not being able to enable a quick turnaround; he missed the playoffs in his first year of 2004, went to two wild card games in 2005 and 2006, and won a Super Bowl in 2007.  The Jaguars are entering year 4 of the Caldwell/Bradley regime;  Coughlin won a SB in year 4.  Are we winning the SB next year?  Yes, he did have defensive problems this year, but no worse than our current staff had.  And as far as the Jaguars being 'ok on offense, you have a short memory.  9 against the Panthers, 13 against the Colts, 6 against the Texans; and frankly, in a lot of the games, many of the points were garbage time points in the last 4 mins of games when they were down 2 or 3 possessions.  Yes, we had great Fantasy numbers, but those don't win games.  And I think you would concede that over an entire year, Coughlin could outcoach Bradley head-to-head based on experience alone.

"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Only way I could see him coming back is as a consultant or taking Marrone's assistant title if he leaves.

I really can't see Tom Coughlin answering to Gus though. How would it work with Gus yelling "Great job, guys!" while Coughlin is red faced and steamed behind him.

He'll retire.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I'd take TC over Gus

He's done.

His NY regime out weighs his time here in jax. He will retire a Giant.

Quote:I'd take TC over Gus
yes sir..

Wish I could go back to 2002, when all the threads were titled "fire Coughlin."

Sure would be nice to have that decision back.

Coughlin and Bradley have 2 totally different personalities. It probably wont happen

Tom Coughlin will be in a nursing home by the time bobblehead Gus gets fired.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Here TC was the GM and Head coach.....he went to the Giants as HC only.

I remember the boos at games for TC as well as the boos and fire Del Rio times.....

You can't go back you know.

just sayin....

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:Wish I could go back to 2002, when all the threads were titled "fire Coughlin."

Sure would be nice to have that decision back.
No doubt, some of those who were demanding his head on a platter back in 2002 are going to participate in the "I wish we could bring him back" crowd.

Coughlin's comments about players today in his farewell address were incredible, but they wouldn't play well with the millennials.  

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2016, 06:26 PM by Adam2012.)

Quote:Adam2012, you make some good points, especially regarding game management (Saints, Falcons, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots and Panthers come to mind; which I did happen to see), but regarding him not being able to enable a quick turnaround; he missed the playoffs in his first year of 2004, went to two wild card games in 2005 and 2006, and won a Super Bowl in 2007.  The Jaguars are entering year 4 of the Caldwell/Bradley regime;  Coughlin won a SB in year 4.  Are we winning the SB next year?  Yes, he did have defensive problems this year, but no worse than our current staff had.  And as far as the Jaguars being 'ok on offense, you have a short memory.  9 against the Panthers, 13 against the Colts, 6 against the Texans; and frankly, in a lot of the games, many of the points were garbage time points in the last 4 mins of games when they were down 2 or 3 possessions.  Yes, we had great Fantasy numbers, but those don't win games.  And I think you would concede that over an entire year, Coughlin could outcoach Bradley head-to-head based on experience alone.

I think you have a lot more faith in the power of the aura around TC than I do. He had Eli and Odell and couldn't get it done in NY. He's going to work miracles here?

Despite the 550 posts a day (by about six guys - sad isn't it?) calling for this or that coach's head, you still need players. Tom's a fine coach, but the last four years showed he's no miracle worker.

And thank you for not bringing up the phony silliness of toughness or accountability or whatever issue. This is professional football, not junior high, although some posters seem to have a problem determining the difference between the two.

Anyway - a moot point. Shad has made his decision. But we'll still see tens and tens more posts.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:No doubt, some of those who were demanding his head on a platter back in 2002 are going to participate in the "I wish we could bring him back" crowd.

Coughlin's comments about players today in his farewell address were incredible, but they wouldn't play well with the millennials.

Wait and see what they say if Del Rio starts winning playoff games in Oakland.

Quote:No doubt, some of those who were demanding his head on a platter back in 2002 are going to participate in the "I wish we could bring him back" crowd.

I remember it well. I too, wanted TC out. Players didn't like his approach. He was too old school. Etc etc.

Now it's Bradley who is too player friendly.

Now? I hope I'm wrong about Gus, and that he rebounds like TC did and proves me wrong.

Those who want TC here now , in most cases , were probably not around when he started losing here and he was run outta town.
Blakes Life Matters

TC will end up in The Villages with a golf cart, a dog and prescription meds..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I'd take TC over Gus
I'm hard pressed to think of anyone I wouldn't take over Gus.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.