Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Would you welcome Tom Coughlin back as coach of the 2016 Jaguars?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Tom Coughlin's Future

Maybe TC takes a year off, plays some golf, then is fresh to step in in 2017.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Can TC come be a draft consultant without undermining DC and GB?
Tom in one ear and Marrone in the other ear wouldnt be easy for them to do their job.

Formerly known as The Real Joker

Quote:Tom in one ear and Marrone in the other ear wouldnt be easy for them to do their job.

PERFECT!

Quote:Wouldn't that really undermine GB? lol. Why not just fire him and hire Tom?

Well, not if Gus really does mean what he says about "getting better every day". Coughlin has been coaching in the League a long time, I'm certain that he has a very strong grasp on how to organize and run a practice. And it doesn't mean that he'd run the practice, he'd just provide input as to ways that the Staff can run a better, more effective practice. It can be like an offseason clinic for the coaching staff.

Quote:He wasn't terrible as a GM...I'm sure we could find plenty of people that have picked worst players in their time.

Boselli, Stewart, Hardy, Brackens, Beasley, Taylor, Darius, Meester, Stroud, Henderson, Garrard.

That's a nice list to be sure, but I stand by the concept that his strength is coaching. After all, he didn't win a Super Bowl until after he put down the GM duties.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:PERFECT!
Youre too much

Formerly known as The Real Joker

Quote:Statement from Tom Coughlin

“I met with John Mara and Steve Tisch this afternoon, and I informed them that it is in the best interest of the organization that I step down as head coach. I strongly believe the time is right for me and my family, and as I said, the Giants organization.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/art...187404388b

If only Bradley would step down in similar fashion. 

Quote:He wasn't terrible as a GM...I'm sure we could find plenty of people that have picked worst players in their time.

Boselli

Stewart

Hardy

Brackens

Beasley

Taylor

Darius

Meester

Stroud

Henderson

Garrard

Yeah, and RJ Soward.   In the first round.   

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 05:37 PM by HolsterHusto.)

If Marrone leaves, give Tom his assistant coach moniker and let Gus truly focus on the D.

Khan after committing to Bradley for another year in week 16.

[Image: painted-into-corner.jpg]

Jags get the chance at a big named coach who isn't too big for the market and wouldn't say no. What do they do? They stick with a guy who has won 12 games in 3 years. TC would whip these young guys into shape like nobody's business.

Lordy, Lordy...

Yes, although hes a bit old... I miss Coughlin
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 06:30 PM by Big Nasty.)

Quote:I want to know what idiots voted no?  Coughlin is a better coach on his worst day than Bradley is on his best.

He will be 70 years old at the start of the next season. 

Ideally, how many years do you expect from the next coach? 

Now, how many do you expect from a 70 year old?

It would be one thing if you were bringing him in at the end of Del Rio's run or if we had a great team in place and just needed a seasoned coach to push us over the edge. I just don't think coaching in the heat of Florida and working 80+ hours a week is going to cut it for someone that age. Bring him in to help out in the front office. Let him be the community outreach guy. Even let him be an assistant coach but hey, that's just me.

Quote:Wouldn't that really undermine GB? lol. Why not just fire him and hire Tom?

Not really. GB would be free to pursue being head of The Roar. Win-Win for all parties involved

Quote:Maybe TC takes a year off, plays some golf, then is fresh to step in in 2017.
The man's about to turn 70.

Quote:The man's about to turn 70.

Gregg Popovich is almost 67. Age ain't nothing but a number.

Quote:Jags get the chance at a big named coach who isn't too big for the market and wouldn't say no. What do they do? They stick with a guy who has won 12 games in 3 years. TC would whip these young guys into shape like nobody's business.

Lordy, Lordy...

Not that living in the Jags present is so hot, but you're living in the past. I have no doubt you'd be one of the first (Jeremy would probably beat you to it) to be calling for Tom's dismissal after year two. Two old, senile, game has passed him by, etc.

You going to give him four seasons of no playoffs like the Giants owners? Yeah, right. And for the two Super Bowls - he was 12 games over .500. In twelve years. You'd be calling for his head in no time.

But, you can use him as the anti-Bradley for a while.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Gregg Popovich is almost 67. Age ain't nothing but a number.

But Pop wins. Giants haven't made the playoffs in four seasons.

And my god - if the Jags lost some games the way the Giants did this year, you'd be the first to say he makes Bradley look like a genius.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:He will be 70 years old at the start of the next season. 

Ideally, how many years do you expect from the next coach? 

Now, how many do you expect from a 70 year old?

It would be one thing if you were bringing him in at the end of Del Rio's run or if we had a great team in place and just needed a seasoned coach to push us over the edge. I just don't think coaching in the heat of Florida and working 80+ hours a week is going to cut it for someone that age. Bring him in to help out in the front office. Let him be the community outreach guy. Even let him be an assistant coach but hey, that's just me.

I agree with his age being an issue.  If we can find a true long term coach of the future I'd be all for it.  But that's why I proposed a 3-5 year contract with someone waiting in the wings to take over after that time for Coughlin.

Quote:I want to know what idiots voted no?  Coughlin is a better coach on his worst day than Bradley is on his best.

I voted no.  Strictly speaking, I guess I should have voted yes, if I had taken the question literally.   Of course I would welcome him back if he was named coach of the Jags.  So strictly speaking, my answer is yes.   But on the other hand, I don't think we should name him coach of the Jaguars a week after we told everyone Bradley would be back in 2016.   I don't think that's a good way to operate.  We made our decision, and now we're stuck with it, for good or bad.   You don't just go changing your mind when someone else comes along. 

Quote:I voted no.  Strictly speaking, I guess I should have voted yes, if I had taken the question literally.   Of course I would welcome him back if he was named coach of the Jags.  So strictly speaking, my answer is yes.   But on the other hand, I don't think we should name him coach of the Jaguars a week after we told everyone Bradley would be back in 2016.   I don't think that's a good way to operate.  We made our decision, and now we're stuck with it, for good or bad.   You don't just go changing your mind when someone else comes along. 

I appreciate your insight...

I think one of the biggest things a good leader has to do is make the right decision even if it means egg on their face.  In general, I agree with you that consistency and stability are big.

In this case, I think it's a great opportunity to bring Coughlin in for 3-5 years with an understudy in the wings who will take over when he finally retires.  I say this based on believing that Coughlin is a better (far better) coach than Bradley.  Coughlin is in good health but is almost 70 so he has very little effective time left to coach.  He would take over with it known that the team will transition to someone else in 3-5 years under Coughlin's leadership/guidance.  Just my 2 cents.